download new "Headcrusher" Megadeth track today!

Been a while since I've enjoyed a new Megadeth tune. I'm definitely digging this though :)

Hey Andy is the upwards rake sound on the right guitar during the chorus intentional?

Sounds awesome!:headbang: The bass tone reminds me of Exodus' SHKM, though it's not as prominent in the mix. The snare sounds very cool, too, like a kind of mixture between the signature Sneap snare and the Black album's snare. Could you share some details, or at least the basic things about it?

we actually went for alot more natural kit on this album. Shaun and I both said if you dont hear the odd kick or tom quite as clearly, fuck it cause we wanted a bit more of the old school thing going on. The sample thats mainly blended under the snare is Shawns snare which also reminded me of the black album. Headcrusher was actually a different drum session to the rest of the album (different kit also) , in fact the whole song was a different session as it was the last song we recorded after the band returned from Europe. I think the JVM 410H has a cool mid range, it still needs a tube screamer and gate but it also gave the album a little more of a classic thrash feel.

we actually went for alot more natural kit on this album. Shaun and I both said if you dont hear the odd kick or tom quite as clearly, fuck it cause we wanted a bit more of the old school thing going on. The sample thats mainly blended under the snare is Shawns snare which also reminded me of the black album. Headcrusher was actually a different drum session to the rest of the album (different kit also) , in fact the whole song was a different session as it was the last song we recorded after the band returned from Europe. I think the JVM 410H has a cool mid range, it still needs a tube screamer and gate but it also gave the album a little more of a classic thrash feel.

Sounds great Andy, nice work.

Sounds really cool! I like it a lot. :headbang:

BTW I am getting a JVM410H very soon. Are there any recommended settings in the forum around. (Maybe Dave's). :loco:

its funny watching that Crush Em vid cause I lost interest in Megadeth after Youthanasia, it was actually that horrible B/W photo of them all air guitaring that did it for me. Tho there are some good songs even on Risk the its not "Dethlike". For some reason Dave seems to trust my opinion, whenever we got into a debate I'd said "well you're the one thats sold 20 million albums (not quite the sabbat back catalogue I know) and he'd politely informed me it was more than that. But although its been a long stretch (over 5 months studio time) its been alot of fun to do an album from the ground up, I even painted the damn studio.

This song is just amazing!!!! Loving everything. song, mix..
Drums just sound so amazing!

Andy, are these pictures of the sessions?
Did you use SM57 on toms?

72bc87ed-04c7-4a1f-98a7-59e6fa854e42.jpg

http://www.theliveline.com/images/Entertainers/ShawnD/Photo/a0b0cd51-7cbc-4b68-9596-bed6b2bc1b4b.JPG

I was actually a bit surprised that the kick doesn't stand out as much as it does in previous albums you've recorded. I think it fits into the whole mix quite nicely, without it being completely drowned by the other instruments. I'm a bit curious if leaving even more of the original snare would have been possible, without ending up with too much bleed and too many weaker hits. I imagine that would have resulted in an even more homogeneous and old-school sounding mix, though obviously there would be trade-offs.

Oh and very good choice of snare reverb, imo :)

When I said it sounded like UA I meant composition-wise.

It is true that UA album was a cool come back for Megadeth, but I still miss the old school stuff. When I grab my guitar and play along with "Angry Again", "Prince of Darkness", etc I think "damn, these riff are cool!". Their new songs are better than the previous stuff they've been doing, but they don't do the same for me and feel like done with a "formula". I miss that essence that made Megadeth unique.

but thats just me, even their lamest stuff is better than anything I've ever done :p