DP underrated?

deliverance

ecnareviled
Aug 12, 2003
NJ, usa
www.audioscrobbler.com
no, not double penetration, Deep Purple.

Sure they have many fans, and are well known, but they aren't talked about nearly as much as the likes of Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin. I am in no way discrediting Sabbath or Zep, I love both; but I think Deep Purple deserve more credit/recognition for being an incredible rock band.

On the band: Ian has great vox, and great high pitched scream parts, Blackmore is a very interesting and very talented guitarist (one of Mike's favorites), they have great keys, and a very solid rhythm section.

Child in Time is easily one of my favorite songs ever. Speed King, Highway Star, Hush, Burn, Perfect Strangers are all great songs too. To be honest, I've only heard three full studio albums, and this mix of songs I compiled from several of their albums, and from that, I say what I've said. I've been into them for only a bit over 1 year or so, and I very much so look forward to getting more of their work I haven't heard yet.

Thoughts?

<crimson> said:
no, not double penetration
that's exactly what came to my mind when I saw 'DP' :lol:

I haven't heard too much of their stuff, but the thing about 'em for me is that they have some reaaally good songs but also some not-so-good songs that I can always skip over. meanwhile bands like zeppelin and sabbath I can listen to the albums without skipping a track.

bangadrian said:
deliverance, i must highly recommend their live album "made in japan" if you're getting into them -- it is probably my favorite live album from any band. the energy is just amazing, and blackmore's soloing is even better than on the albums. complete with huge drum solo

currently dl'ing it, thanks.

Live in Japan is cool, grew up listening to that album.

Highway star is the archatypal metal song, kick ass riff, one of the best solo's ever, and crazy lyrics. IMO DP are much better than Zepelin, they rocked harder and louder.

I could rant on more but no-one really cares

i always thought deep purple were another cheesy 70's rock band and i still do. Blackmore never did anything for me. Highway Star is incredibly cheesy. Just goes to show you, brian, even geniuses like us can have differences in opinion.

edit: heh. back in high school i saw a video with some double penetration and i thought it was so funny. that's some serious talent for all involved.

Well I like DP, not as much as i like Sabbath, but I like them. Fav. songs would prolly be: Child in time, Perfect strangers, Fire ball, Stormbringer, highway star.