DRAGON CON 2007 was METAAAAL!!!!!

CLParrish

New Metal Member
Feb 13, 2007
I don't know how many of you got a chance to attend this years Dragon con in Atlanta, but finally there was some METAL!! Vainglory played a killer set, but the best performance of the Con bar NONE was none other than Twisted Tower Dire. for those of you who were in attendance, please by all means contact the dragon con staff via www.myspace/dragoncon or www.dragoncon.org and let them know you appreciated what Heaven and Hell records did for this years con and that you'd love to see em back next year representing METAL!!

Yeah, by all means, bombard the office with spam emails. They have nothing else to do at this time than to read a bunch of fan-boy emails. That should guarantee a smaller metal presence in the future...i.e., none.

--Paul C.
Director, Hyatt Concourse, Dragon*Con 2007

And yes, TTD sounded great. For the sake of future metal at Dragon*Con, I just wish there had been 100 people in the room.

Oh, BTW, I didn't mean that everyone should totally refrain from providing feedback to the Dragon*Con folks......just please please PLEASE wait a month or two, and try not to make it look like an avalanche of suspiciously similar comments.

The show was fantastic, no matter how many people were in the room. TTD ruled as expected, and Vain Glory was pretty good too. What I'd like to know (and maybe Herr Director can enlighten me) is why there is a 5-hour lag time between when the daily con stuff ends and the bands begin to play. That's a long wait for those of use who came specifically for the metal bands, and I have to think that late start time contributed to the low attendance.

Just posting to say that TTD was awesome! Elves, Peter S. Beegle, and a metal band that sings about swords. What could be better? I hope the con brings back TTD, if the fire marshall wasn't stopping people I'm pretty sure they would've had a bigger crowd. I have tons of pics, if anyone wants some, please contact me.

Unfortunately, that argument doesn't wash. Reason: at the same time Twisted Tower Dire was playing in front of 100 people, over in the other smaller ballroom a band called The Last Dance was entertaining about 1,400, a packed house. Those people had no problem getting to the show. (By that time, the 'crush' had died down.)

Yeah, TLD have been to Dragon*Con before and have built an audience over the years; that definitely helped.....

....but that's not a prerequisite for success, though, since this was Calabrese's first year performing and they drew a good crowd on Sunday night. But, they brought their A-game when it came to promoting at the event, setting up early, remembering to bring a CD player, etc.

I have to wonder why someone who is A. involved with DragonCon and B. obviously a big metal fan, can't find a single positive thing to say about the first metal band to play the Con in years. Are metal bands not wanted at this particular event?

There are probably many factors that go into the 5 hour lag time. One of the reasons is that during the day, those rooms are used for other programming, and the bands that are performing that night can't do soundchecks until later. Still, I wish that the bands would start at least one hour earlier. By the time I get out of the shows, I don't have time to talk to my friends before having to go sleep so I can get up the next morning - which, as a director, I have to do. When I was running the goth track, a midnight start time helped me out, but that probably won't be as much of an issue next year for me.

Twisted Tower Dire put on a great show, but my favorites of the weekend were Calabrese and Ghoultown. Ghoultown was on fire, easily the best performance I have ever seen by them. I was glad to be able to catch "The Guardian Bloodline," my personal favorite song by TTD. I could see those guys were putting their all into their performance. And when Johnny said, "this place is great!" I could tell he meant it. For fans of fantasy, SciFi, and "weird crap" in general, DragonCon is a cool place.

I'd like to see metal bands at DragonCon in the future, but I do wish they would show up earlier and promote their shows. To draw a crowd at DragonCon, you have to show commitment to the event as a whole. I know not everyone has the time time or desire to, but that's just how it works. A band can't treat DragonCon as a music festival show, and I think that is what a lot of first-timers do.

And for the record...I was an early supporter for "bringing metal culture" to DragonCon, before VG and TTD were booked.

Angelwench - great name. I love Angelwitch's first album.

I had several people come by my booths on Sun. upset because the fire marshall wouldn't let them into the hotel where TTD and VG were playing. Paul I think you mentioned something about a 'secret entrance', but in all honesty I doubt many could possibly know where that was. As for professionalism, Twisted Tower Dire did great, in fact they said they sold out of merch at their meet and greet table, and they really enjoyed the gig and the opportunity to do it. Vainglory was another story entirely, totally unprofessional, didn't man their booth much or at all etc. Having said that, I don't think that should be a reason to ban future metal bands at DC. I told Jeremy and Jamie at Heaven & Hell Records (the ones who set up the metal bands and various meet and greets etc.) to merely do some research next time before booking any bands, to find out if they are true professionals ahead of time. The idea is to put metal in front of the DC crowd, and judging by the fact that two thirds of the CDs I sold there were metal, I'd say that yes there is an audience for it. So yes, everyone who cares should contact the DC directors to put in a good word for metal at DC 08. :headbang:

But in all due respect Paul, how many will remember to do that 'in a month or so'? Will you put a notice on this forum then to remind them? All the metal fans I ran into over the weekend were ecstatic over finally getting some metal at DC. Enthusiasm should be encouraged, not restricted.

Oh, BTW, I didn't mean that everyone should totally refrain from providing feedback to the Dragon*Con folks......just please please PLEASE wait a month or two, and try not to make it look like an avalanche of suspiciously similar comments.

I remember in an economics class the teacher talking about how every year’s biggest blockbuster film is often noted as the highest grossing film of all time (I.e. Titanic) He explain that that was not a fair way to look at things not taking in consideration or cost of living, inflation and all that jazz. Seems like the same situation here.
Don’t know what you know of what heavy metal is Paul, but comparing TLD to TTD is apples and oranges. Like comparing Gershwin and Zappa. Secondly it WAS their first year. And you seem to not recall your house band’s first year. Not cutting on those guys at all but The Cruxshadows’ first year was a CD player and a few CDs. And they got much less of a crowd. Would you like me to send you some video footage of it? In point they built their following there. How many times have I explained this now.
Come to think about it The Changlings was the same way the first couple of years. And I did see the Emerald Rose audience, if that was a lot of people then someone should get their eyes checked.

As for what those other first timer bands pulled, more power to them and they looked good. Still there are many factors to consider there. One is a band influenced by the many faces of Danzing is always going to pull easier from a PVC, eyeliner wearing crowd than a bunch of guys in Voivod t shirts. That is just the way it is. It doesn’t matter if you, Derek and I like it all I’m talking about the crowds. TTD also went into a venue were there never really has been “heavy metal” and Godhead are NOT they’re Marilyn Manson. Point is there were many obstacles there. I believe they faired well read the forums and MySpace postings to see that. Even talk with the crews.
Twisted Tower got in there and rocked it out like they should have. Granted they got off to a slow start. The biggest reason there was hotel situations and you knew that deal better than most. And not to mention they were overwhelmed by the magnitude of the event as well.
To say the fire Marshall was not an issue is bullsh#t. Between fire Marshall and the over zealous staff people were herded like cattle and trapped on different floors, on the street, etc. Read the forums it’s all there. It was just the TTD show, people could not even get to their rooms. I went to the bar after Vain Glory’s set and was pushed out ending up missing TTD’s first two songs. Before the bands even started their bass player was trapped outside away from his band. All you have to do is read what the people say, it’s all there.

I have to wonder why someone who is A. involved with DragonCon and B. obviously a big metal fan, can't find a single positive thing to say about the first metal band to play the Con in years. Are metal bands not wanted at this particular event?

I wasn't there so I can't comment based on my own experiences, but from what I have read, TTD didn't draw a big crowd. Do you expect him to lie about their draw and say that they had a huge crowd when that obviously wasn't the case? He's just describing what he saw, don't jump down his throat.

Again, the fire marshall would not let them in the motel. That's why the small crowd. I heard that from several people who weren't happy they missed TTD.

I wasn't there so I can't comment based on my own experiences, but from what I have read, TTD didn't draw a big crowd. Do you expect him to lie about their draw and say that they had a huge crowd when that obviously wasn't the case? He's just describing what he saw, don't jump down his throat.

Again many factors to consider. And it's not that they did not drwa, there was a factor that people could not get in. And what lacked in crowd was certainly made up for in crowd reaction.
How could anybody possibly know the count for any of the bands when there is not head count or ticket count. There is also the factor that TTD played the biggest ballroom there, so it would have been a lot easier to pack a small ballroom. Not saying they would have done that. But you can't compare when factors are so unequal.

One is a band influenced by the many faces of Danzing is always going to pull easier from a PVC, eyeliner wearing crowd than a bunch of guys in Voivod t shirts.

I saw a lot more punk rock types than PVC eyeliner people at the Calabrese show. I did not see many Voivod t-shirts anywhere.

That's it. I'm done with these (DragonCon-related) threads.

I saw a lot more punk rock types than PVC eyeliner people at the Calabrese show. I did not see many Voivod t-shirts anywhere.

That's it. I'm done with these threads.

I think you hit my point. Five guys in Voidvod t shirts really have no chance in the gothy post punk world you guys have created at that place. And punks or PVC eyeliner types, they all swarm around the same types of scenes. Jeez I know you are not new to this. Do you get out at all or just view these subcultures online? You know the whole goth thing did boil out of the new romantic punk rock movement that came and went in a day.
And if there are more punks then put the Subhumans up in there oppose to someone who has based their look and sound on Danzig's career. I love the "Lucifuge' promo shot. And hell, was Feind enough. Yeah that one was almost as funny as what Jerry does with The Misfits now.
Ok, can I be cool now.. "I'm done with this". As I walk off I toss my spoke long coat behind me.

Again many factors to consider. And it's not that they did not drwa, there was a factor that people could not get in. And what lacked in crowd was certainly made up for in crowd reaction.
How could anybody possibly know the count for any of the bands when there is not head count or ticket count. There is also the factor that TTD played the biggest ballroom there, so it would have been a lot easier to pack a small ballroom. Not saying they would have done that. But you can't compare when factors are so unequal.

There was a lock out for a while, but it ended way before any bands went on.

Perhaps someone should have told that to the staff on hand and the people who could not make it in. And this was not just going on Saturday it was all weekend long. I'm sure it is not all in my head since the DragonCon journal is full of people saying the same thing.

What would you have the staff on hand told, and to what purpose? Being one of those who were locked out I can assure the lockout was lifted at least 45 mins before Vainglory took the stage, ergo about 2 hours before Twisted Tower Dire was scheduled. There's no way the lockout can be an excuse for not attending TTD. If anyone who planned to see them left because of the lockout, then they simply didn't care enough to wait it out.

As it has already been pointed out the lockout had no ill effect on the gothic bands playing on the other side to an audience 10 times the size of TTD's or Vainglory's.

OK everyone relax. Metal was essentially in it's infancy at DC this year, so I'm sure everyone can understand it taking 2-3 years for it to build, if in fact it is even allowed there again. After all, these bands with 1000+ attending their shows didn't get that way overnight. I doubt I'd have waited for the lock out to be lifted, probably would've just left with friends for the nearest bar. Anyway, hopefully metal will return to DC, and if not, at least we still have PP.