OZZFEST 2007......FREE

A joke that last 12 years? nah they didnt do anything right , are you serious. just because you want to hate, thats your choice. Ignorance is bliss....

Long live OZZY!!!!

Sorry, but my opinion is not ignorant. Just because it has lasted 12 years doesn't change the fact that I think it's a joke of a "festival". It has had mainly shitty, imo, lineups and overrpriced tickets.

Sorry, but my opinion is not ignorant. Just because it has lasted 12 years doesn't change the fact that I think it's a joke of a "festival". It has had mainly shitty, imo, lineups and overrpriced tickets.

Actually, I disagree with you completely. They're making boatloads of money, most of the shows sell ridiculous numbers of tickets, lots of people attend and love the shows...and they've been overall very successful.

Even if you don't like the bands, and think that it's been overpriced in the past, that in no way makes the festival a joke. I certainly haven't had any interest in going, and haven't been a fan of most of the bands that have played recently, but I can at least see that they know what they're doing and know how to throw a sucessful festival.

Actually, I disagree with you completely. They're making boatloads of money, most of the shows sell ridiculous numbers of tickets, lots of people attend and love the shows...and they've been overall very successful.

Even if you don't like the bands, and think that it's been overpriced in the past, that in no way makes the festival a joke. I certainly haven't had any interest in going, and haven't been a fan of most of the bands that have played recently, but I can at least see that they know what they're doing and know how to throw a sucessful festival.

Where in any of my posts did I say it's not successful? Many things that I consider to be jokes are successful, such as Slipknot.

Have we all really become this bitter and jaded?

I cannot believe there is a thread with people bitching about one of the biggest summer festivals being free!! If that press release were to say that tix were $120 each, you'd be having the exactly same bitchfest.

As for the sponsors...well, no shit. The tickets may be free. But I got news for ya, it still costs a pretty penny to put on a show. We're not talking hundreds of thousands, but probably over a mill per show. Those costs don't go away just because the tickets are free. You know all those tickets the radio station gives away? They buy those. Yes, they BUY all the tickets they give away. They may pay in advertising rather than actual dollars, but they pay. You know, kinda like a sponsor.

Even if the bands play for free, I'll guarantee you that stage crew aren’t working for free. There is no way the FOH or monitor guy said, "sure, Ill give up my summer and work like a dog for free. I don't need the money. Besides, its all about the fans."

My point is, the money has to come from somewhere. And if its not from the fans in ticket sales, where else does it make the most sense to turn? Yes, the sponsors.

I just think everyone should stop looking at gift horse in the mouth and appreciate the free show. If you hate the music and think its a joke, don't go. I'm sure there is a more than willing person behind you waiting to take your ticket.

I cannot believe there is a thread with people bitching about one of the biggest summer festivals being free!! If that press release were to say that tix were $120 each, you'd be having the exactly same bitchfest.

As for the sponsors...well, no shit. The tickets may be free. But I got news for ya, it still costs a pretty penny to put on a show. We're not talking hundreds of thousands, but probably over a mill per show. Those costs don't go away just because the tickets are free. You know all those tickets the radio station gives away? They buy those. Yes, they BUY all the tickets they give away. They may pay in advertising rather than actual dollars, but they pay. You know, kinda like a sponsor.

Even if the bands play for free, I'll guarantee you that stage crew aren’t working for free. There is no way the FOH or monitor guy said, "sure, Ill give up my summer and work like a dog for free. I don't need the money. Besides, its all about the fans."

My point is, the money has to come from somewhere. And if its not from the fans in ticket sales, where else does it make the most sense to turn? Yes, the sponsors.

I just think everyone should stop looking at gift horse in the mouth and appreciate the free show. If you hate the music and think its a joke, don't go. I'm sure there is a more than willing person behind you waiting to take your ticket.
Amen. I'm planning on going. Maybe it will suck; maybe there will be a catch, or multiple catches, but I'm sure as hell gonna give it a shot.

I was a little surprised over the rampant slamming and bitching too. Hey, I'm no fan of Sharon, but a free concert? Even if I like ONE band, it's free, what the hell.

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing, but couldn't put it into words as well as you did. I especially agree with the first point. People would have griped no matter WHAT the ticket price. I think that some people on this board have jokes/quips/lines whatever they are just dying to use and Ozzfest is a good time to do that. I applaud the Ozzfest promoters for trying something different.

Let's say this works out well. IF it works out so well that other fests try it, will you make fun of them? Will we be all over Gigantour if it goes down this road?

I cannot believe there is a thread with people bitching about one of the biggest summer festivals being free!!

Who here is bitching about the festival being free? There are people saying that the festival sucks in general, and then people theorizing that "free" doesn't really mean free, but nobody is bitching about that.

I'd say it's simply healthy skepticism and curiosity rather than "bitter and jaded" that is making people question the true meaning of "free" in this case.

And although no one is doing it in this thread, I *would* understand if somebody was to bitch about it being "free". I could see someone who really wants to see the bands, but for whom the price of a ticket in dollars would "cost less" to them than it would to have to give up their information or buy other products from sponsors. He'd say "just let me *pay* for a ticket instead of jumping through all these damn hoops!" Also, with non-reserved seating being a consequence of this "freeness", I could see that pissing off such a person too. Admittedly, there probably aren't a lot of people like that (with plenty of money, not a lot of time on their hands) who are in the Ozzfesst target demographic, but still....

Neil

edit: In reply to Synflower's post:

Seriously, thank you for putting it so well...

Granted, people may not be a fan of Sharon after the whole Iron Maiden incident, or whatever other reasons people may have, but she's doing something good here....Ticket prices for some shows have become ridiculous. And she's giving us a free show. And people still find reasons to bitch or slam her and the ozzfest crew.

I for one, plan on attending, regardless of the fact that I probably won't be a fan of the majority of bands that are playing :kickass:

okay, no offense but healthy skeptism doesn't take up a two page thread.

People are jumping to conclusions about 'the catch' to free tix. What if there is no catch? What if you truely can just log-on, register for your ticket and walk away? I mean, that is the point, right? So before we all start bitching about what 'might' happen, why dont we just appreciate the potential of what might be cool before everyone bashes it?

Besides, I hate it when people go off on how stupid a festival is or how much bands suck or how promoters and bands sell out. Yeah, its music and yes its an emotional thing for most of us. But ya know, these bands have to make a living too. While you might have to work 9-5 behind a desk or kill yourself 40 hours a week doing manual labor, these guys are blessed to get paid to bust their ass doing something they enjoy. And if they don't 'sell out' to some degree, how will they ever make a living? A promoter selling sponsorhips to put on a 'free' show to fans is a much better alternative than people that force themselves to work overtime in a job they hate to save up for that overpriced concert ticket, ya know?

okay, no offense but healthy skeptism doesn't take up a two page thread.

Yeah, like I said, some of it is people just bitching regardless of the price, and some is actually support for the idea. The healthy skeptics are probably responsible for just one page. :) But it's not surprising to see it heavily discussed at this forum, since the ins-and-outs of concert promotion are a hot topic here, due to the insights our kind host and moderator shares with us.

People are jumping to conclusions about 'the catch' to free tix. What if there is no catch?

Yeah, that's true. I guess it's just that Sharon's reputation doesn't inspire trust in a lot of people, combined with the fact that "FREE" almost never comes without a catch. "There's no such thing as a free lunch" is a cliche for a reason! Personally, I just like to jump to conclusions so that later on, I can selectively go back and tell everyone "I told you so!!!!"

Besides, I hate it when people go off on how stupid a festival is or how much bands suck or how promoters and bands sell out.

Yeah, that's dumb, I'm with you there.

A promoter selling sponsorhips to put on a 'free' show to fans is a much better alternative than people that force themselves to work overtime in a job they hate to save up for that overpriced concert ticket, ya know?

The guy without much money to spend would agree that's the better alternative, but the guy with plenty of money who would prefer a sponsor-free experience might disagree.

I don't know why people ever buy overpriced concert tickets in the first place. Most concerts I go to are like $10-$25. It's a lot less expensive (and probably more enjoyable) to see hungry bands on the way up, rather than ones already at the top who demand prices higher than you want to pay.

Neil

Oh, I’m definitely jaded!

In order to make up the shortfall from lost ticket sales, the corporate sponsors for Ozzfest will no doubt be asked to step up with huge, HUGE dollars. (Even for events that do sell tickets, sponsorships aren’t cheap.) And no company is going to do that without an extremely compelling proposal explaining what they’re going to get out of it. That’s why I personally think it’s all about collecting names, addresses, and other demographic information. For companies that invest a lot in direct marketing, that information is as good as currency.

With that said, if it turns out that it was REALLY all about supporting the metal community…a good time is had by all…and there weren’t any strings attached…I’ll be the first to steup up and apologize.

Oh, I’m definitely jaded!

In order to make up the shortfall from lost ticket sales, the corporate sponsors for Ozzfest will no doubt be asked to step up with huge, HUGE dollars. (Even for events that do sell tickets, sponsorships aren’t cheap.) And no company is going to do that without an extremely compelling proposal explaining what they’re going to get out of it. That’s why I personally think it’s all about collecting names, addresses, and other demographic information. For companies that invest a lot in direct marketing, that information is as good as currency.

That info-selling is pretty much a given. I'll be shocked if there's any sort of 'we will not sell or release your info' privacy statement on any of the sites where you sign up for 'free' tickets...it will probably not be addressed, or they'll indicate that they reserve the right to share your info.

I like your US Army signing table too..."Hey kid, before I sign your CD cover, wouldn't it be cool if I got *your* autograph too? Right here on this line....don't worry about all those words up there!"

:lol: :lol:

Everything that normally would be purchased by the fans, from the necessities such as parking, to a bottle of water, to the shirts and the merch, will all be 30-40% higher. I guarantee it.

That's how it's able to be "free".

:lol: :lol:

Everything that normally would be purchased by the fans, from the necessities such as parking, to a bottle of water, to the shirts and the merch, will all be 30-40% higher. I guarantee it.

That's how it's able to be "free".

Ozzfest doesn't control the price of food/water/parking. It's up to the venue if they want to raise the price of food and water/parking.

Without going into too much detail... I have had great times at the last few ozzfests... and a few snafus as well where I miss a band due to the large crowds and the slow movement from point A to B.

A free ticket won't woo me. In fact, its leaning to turning me off and staying away from the show this year. I was not happy with last year's ozzfest's change of moving ozzy from the main stage to the second stage as that robbed me of the perk of being in the pit area in the main stage. I went through great lengths to get that access(I don't mind paying extra for good seats/tix)... only for that change to occur; the performance at 4 p.m., in the heat and dust of that afternoon.... it was a miserable memory.

I've seen ozzy before and had my best time ever at the previous ozzfest with Black Sabbath.
We'll have to wait and see who else plays; but I don't plan to hold my breath.

Shortly after Sharon Osbourne made the big announcement about this year's Ozzfest — it's free! — she followed it up with another big announcement: Jägermeister will sponsor the entire second stage!

Known as rock's biggest juggernaut, Ozzfest is now turning to sponsors to provide added support for the festival's new incarnation as a "FREEfest," and Jägermeister is taking full advantage of the opportunity.

A longtime sponsor of Ozzfest, Jägermeister will roll out its own state of the art mobile stage for the summer's biggest heavy metal festival. All second stage acts will play on the Jägermeister stage, a fully self-contained stage hauled cross country by a custom Showhauler toter home, complete with a full audio sound system provided by JVC Mobile and amped by one whopping generator. The stage measures 34' long, 16' deep, and 20' high. The entire PA system, provided by Peavey Electronics and Schecter Guitars, will be hung for optimum sound. The stage will include state-of-the-art lighting by Chauvet. "Jägermeister has been kicking around this idea for a long time. The fact that we've spent a year designing and building this stage proves our dedication to music," says Rick Zeiler, Director of Marketing and Brand Development for Jägermeister. "We can't wait to showcase it at Ozzfest."

"Jägermeister has been part of the Ozzfest family for the last eight years," says Sharon Osbourne. "This year they are kind enough to be supplying Ozzfest '07 with their revolutionary mobile stage. Jägermeister's stage and their continued support are helping to make our FREE Ozzfest tour concept a reality."

"We are incredibly jazzed that Jägermeister is bringing their innovative and state-of-the-art mobile stage on this history-making tour," says Jane Holman, Vice President of Touring for Live Nation, Ozzfest's organizer. "Jäger has been a great supporter of Ozzfest and the metal genre for years, and we couldn't be happier to be able to help them showcase their new baby."

Bands will play the Jägermeister stage every day from 1-7 p.m. In addition to Ozzfest being free, this year will also see the return of Ozzy to the main stage as headliner. He'll be unleashing new songs from his forthcoming album. It's going to be a groundbreaking show, and Jägermeister will be there every thundering step of the way. Lineups and ticket information to be announced as details become available. The first show is slated for July 7 in Los Angeles. More dates and cities to be announced.