OZZFEST 2007......FREE

pay to play locals

this is almost now becoming the travelling version of the old Milwaukee Metalfest.

Hmmmm,,,,,free ticket,,,,,I can see it all now,,,,,

$0 - ticket price
$5 - printing fee
$8 - shipping and handling
$6 - surcharge
$6 - administrative fee
$9 - event security fee
$8 - venue surcharge
$7 - permit(s) fee(s)
$14 - miscellaneous charges
------
$63 - charge for your free ticket

haha!

Agreed completely, I thought it was bad enough how FYE made Gignatour attendees buy CDs they most likely already owned (at full price of course) in order to get in the autograph line. This will probably be the full scale corporate bloodsucking with hidden costs everywhere as you suggest...

Ozzfest does that too. It didn't bother me at Gigantour since they charged less than what they charge for at a regular FYE. I got This Godless Endeavor for like 10 bucks in 2005 and get it signed. Well worth it.

Also I don't think they can up the price on the food/drink. The venue itself sets the price for the food, and I don't think Ozzfest has a say in how much to raise/lower it.

Also, I highly doubt that they will up merch costs and things like that as a supplement to free tickets to begin with. If a burger is $80, people won't buy it. Not everyone buys venue food as it is, so they'd be taking a huge financial risk to expect all attendees to buy something (unless if they somehow force them to, which is definitely possible) willingly.

My guess is that they will simply get big name sponsors to pay all the costs of the tour so that they can offer things like samplers and other exclusives and make pure profit.

This wasn't that suprising nor groundbreaking. That lame ass Family Values tour has been charging like 10 bucks a ticket (I think the first one was free as well) and it keeps going.

I'm really curios to see how this thing works out. I'll admit....I've never cared too much for Ozzfest but the one I attended in 05 was really good. Maiden, In Flames, Soilwork, Arch Enemy...plus a few more bands I liked alright. Maiden alone was worth it for me in 05. If AIC played it, I would like to go, always been a fan. I do agree that there has got to be something behind this though, I just dont see Ozzfest and FREE joining forces completely. I do like the idea of one post here, maybe if its free, some deserving bands would pay to play (even though I disagree with that) and finally get the attention they deserve.

Well, I do agree with Sharon that ticket prices for concerts are out of the stratosphere! Hell, $80.00 to see Motley Crue, $80.00 to see Journey/Def Leppard, etc. That's why I won't be going until they come down on prices or just buy the damn DVD. :p

Basically, the only concert where you get more than your money's worth is the annual TSO Tour. Prices are very resonable for a killer show.

I'm scarred to see what ticket prices for Heaven & Hell will be. :rolleyes:

Once again, that's why ProgPower is such a killer bang for the buck! :kickass:

~Brian~

Hey, if you like the act, you are gonna pay. I dropped $50 to see Kamelot, $100 for Celtic Frost (And I had to give it away!) The reality is that Ozzfest is falling faster than SkyLab. Sharon Osbourne reminds me of that Bugs Bunny cartoon when Bugs and Yosemite Sam are on a falling aircraft, and Bugs is reading "How to Fly a Plane" at the controls. She is probably reading "The Complete Idiot's Guide for Saving a Festival" by Jack Koshick as I type this. I have a feeling that Ozzfest will crash and burn after show four when they realized that they dropped $20-30 million for empty seats.

Peace,
Ray C.

I think i may just work. As long as its outdoors, ill be there. Been going since 2000 so why not for free..... Even though last years tour did blow donkey dick:lol:

Sharon Osbourne reminds me of that Bugs Bunny cartoon when Bugs and Yosemite Sam are on a falling aircraft, and Bugs is reading "How to Fly a Plane" at the controls. She is probably reading "The Complete Idiot's Guide for Saving a Festival" by Jack Koshick as I type this.
LMFAO :lol: :lol: :lol: I that's probably the funniest thing I read all day.

I too have shelled out lots of money to see a band or bands when I felt it was worth it. (Hell, I paid for 2 more tickets to Leaves' Eyes and Blind Gaurdian in Philly when I realized the pair of tickets I bought in advance were at home in Baltimore on my night stand. :erk: And that was even though I was going to see them again a few nights later at Jaxx. So I paid to see them 3 times for 2 shows. IMO - totally worth it.)

If there is something on the Ozzfest bill worth seeing, and this "free" thing really is free and not some ridiculous scam, I might consider going ... if the tour lasts long enough to make it to this side of the country. If the show really is free, then I can go and support the band I like and still avoid doing anything that actually gives money to the Osbourne trust/greed fund.

Edit: I'm pretty sure Ozzfest was already uping the prices on bands' merch to make their own profit, so if that is still the case. I'll be buying my merch on the bands Web site before or after the festival.

Just looked at Blabbermouth.net and they have an interview where Sharon is explaining how this is going to go down. It is a quick read. It will be a sponsored driven event. I did find these quotes interesting though:

Osbourne, 54, said she plans to upgrade the festival's midway atmosphere, losing the tattoo parlors and cheesy carnival games and replacing them with interactive booths sponsored by technology and video game companies.

Last year, though, she said, the fees earned by bands, including about $325,000 a show for the group SYSTEM OF A DOWN, almost sank the festival.

"They're taking four years off, we paid them so much, and we're still working," she said. "I'm not doing that again."

Read the entire article at The Mercury News.

Maybe if she didn't throw crap at her headline act the year before things would have been different.

Just looked at Blabbermouth.net and they have an interview where Sharon is explaining how this is going to go down. It is a quick read. It will be a sponsored driven event. I did find these quotes interesting though:

Osbourne, 54, said she plans to upgrade the festival's midway atmosphere, losing the tattoo parlors and cheesy carnival games and replacing them with interactive booths sponsored by technology and video game companies.

Last year, though, she said, the fees earned by bands, including about $325,000 a show for the group SYSTEM OF A DOWN, almost sank the festival.

"They're taking four years off, we paid them so much, and we're still working," she said. "I'm not doing that again."

Maybe if she didn't throw crap at her headline act the year before things would have been different.

She paid that shitty band that much more than Maiden? That's injustice.

$325K per SHOW?!? :rolleyes: Quick, someone call the US Attorney. Sharon Osbourne shoul be arrested for impersonating a promoter. You could have a band that featured Bruce Dickinson, EVH in his prime on the lead, John Petrucci on Rhythm, Tuomas Holopainen tickling the ivories, Marco Hietala on Bass, and Neal Peart on the battery, and THAT band would not be worth $325K per show!

Peace,
Ray C.

Ozzfest is, and has pretty much always been, a joke of a "festival". And seems that if you don't worship Ozzy, some of the Ozzfest forum members seem to think one shouldn't be on that forum.

A joke that last 12 years? nah they didnt do anything right , are you serious. just because you want to hate, thats your choice. Ignorance is bliss....

Long live OZZY!!!!

Advertisements is my guess. A search engine style of making money.

My guess is that it’s not just about advertising…but also about selling the attendees’ personal information to marketers. The privacy notice that you’ll have to “agree” to before signing up for tickets will look something like this:

“We might, on occasion, provide your nonpublic personal information to non-affiliated third parties whose products and services you will no doubt be absolutely ecstatic to hear about.”

Translation:

“We’re gonna sell your name, age, phone number, home address, and e-mail address to every yahoo with a business card that we run into on the street. You’ll probably need to enroll in the Witness Protection Program to get away from all the spam, junk mail, and telephone solicitation calls that will start to arrive approximately three nanoseconds after you click the ‘I Accept’ button.”

The Ozzfest 2007 Fans unofficial MySpace page has been updated with the following information regarding the ticketing system for this year's event:

Q: Will OZZY OSBOURNE play at my show?

A: Ozzy will headline ALL Ozzfest dates on the main stage.

Q: How do I get tickets?

A: Those signed up to Ozzfest.com will get the info on how to obtain their free tickets first! You will need to get a ticket just like previous Ozzfests. However, you will do so online and for FREE. You will need to go to Ozzfest.com or one of our sponsors websites to do this. Those who are signed up to Ozzfest.com will get an email with instructions and links once tickets are available. You will print out your tickets and bring them to Ozzfest or get them from one of our sponsors. Yes each venue has its own capacity level and only the amount of people allowed will gain entry. You will know you will be allowed entry because you have your ticket in advance. The show will be general admission. The seats will be first-come, first-to-sit-there-and-watch-the-show-in-that-seat basis. There will be still a second stage and it will be located in the same area of the venue as previous Ozzfest. Yes, it will still be an outdoors show. Now you are inside and you paid nothing. Merch, beer, water, food and soda price will NOT be raised more than any other show at that venue in the summer of 2007 to cover your free entry.

Q: Will there be a limit to the number of tickets I can buy?

A: Again, yes, there will be. The amount has not yet been determined, but there will be.

Q: How will I gain entrance?

A: You will print out or recieve the tickets that you have secured and you will bring those with you to the event, where you will exchange them for entrance.

Q: How will the seating be decided?

A: As in previous years, the second stage will still be general admission for everyone without seats. However, as far as main stage, it will be first-come, first-served basis for both general admission AND the seats. Of course, you do not stake claim to seats, meaning that if you stand up and leave the seats, others are entitled to sit there.

Q: Will merchandise and concession prices be raised to make up for the lack of ticket price?

A: No. The prices will remain up to the individual artists to decide. However, there will be no expected raise in prices.

Q: How will the artists make money off this?

A: They are free to book themselves at local shows on days before, after, and days of the fest. Also, they are, as always, welcome to bring and sell merchandise.

Q: How different will the bill be from date to date?

A: Some second stage acts may change. However, the main stage acts will be committed and appear throughout the tour, unless otherwise stated.

Q: Will bands autograph CDs at the FYE tent in 2007?

A: There will still be a tent where the bands sell and do their CD signings. It may be FYE or could another store who handles it, but either way you will be able to purchase the bands' performing CDs and have them sign those.