DragonForce - Maximum Overload

Power_Metal_Dom

Epic Metaller
Aug 8, 2006
Frankfurt, Germany
evYciRu.jpg

UK Metal titans DRAGONFORCE are nearing completion of their sixth studio album entitled ‘Maximum Overload‘. Produced by Jens Bogren at Fascination Studios in Örebro and Varberg, Sweden, the new opus will be the band’s first ever album involving an outside producer, having historically opted to record themselves in association with Karl Groom.

‘Maximum Overload‘ features a couple of surprises, notably a guest appearance on some of the songs from Trivium’s Matt Heafy. “We’ve always gotten on really well with the Trivium guys and it was great when Matt had a couple of days to spare and agreed to weigh in on some of the songs”! added Frederic Leclercq.

The album also features an all time first for DragonForce…..a cover version! Sam Totman explained “Just before the last Australian tour our manager suggested it might be interesting to do a cover for the next album, something we’ve always refused even to consider. Because we had all had a couple beers every band member wrote down 3 songs each and we compared them all, just for a laugh. I wrote down ‘Ring Of Fire’ by Johnny Cash, an idea which the rest of the band loved, so we’ve DragonForce-ized it”!

‘Maximum Overload‘ will be released on Standard CD, Standard Digital Version, Special Edition CD with 5 bonus tracks and a bonus DVD, Special Edition Digital Version (same bonus material as Special Edition CD), and Vinyl.

The band will embark on a massive 20 date UK & Ireland tour in September under the strapline ‘….this time it’s personal’ alluding to the fact that instead of playing a handful of larger venues the band are playing many shows geographically spread out across the country. Commenting on the nature of the tour Herman Li said “We did a tour like this in between the Sonic Firestorm and Inhuman Rampage albums and have wanted to repeat it ever since but couldn’t because of touring commitments elsewhere in the world. This time we were determined to make it happen so we’re going to some cities we haven’t visited for years and some we’ve never visited at all. One of the venues is a boat and one is a deconsecrated church! It will be great to see the fans up close and personal again, it’s going to be very hot, very sweaty and great fun!”

There's also a pre-final demo of the song 'Defenders':

Last edited by a moderator:
A glorious return to killer artwork in my opinion. I wish Ultra Beatdown had a cover in that style!! The song is lackluster to me (vocal melody leaves a lot to be desired which is out of the norm for the Force) but it's a demo and I hope they change it a lot, 'cause it sounds like a Power Within outtake to me.

Nope, still don't like the singer.

Today I heard all of their albums, pretty much in a row, and I strongly agree with you. When The Power Within was released I thought he was sounded pretty cool but now that I am listening through their older albums and the latest one I can easily say that I liked ZP better.

Seing how big Dragonfoce use to be to me I'll still get this album, and I really hope it's good which I think it will be, just not as good as their older ones,. But I think they could have made a better choice in terms of a singer. Maybe he can prove me wrong with this album, though.

Track Listing

1. "The Game"
2. "Tomorrow's Kings"
3. "No More"
4. "Three Hammers"
5. "Symphony of the Night"
6. "The Sun is Dead"
7. "Defenders"
8. "Extraction Zone"
9. "City of Gold"
10. "Ring of Fire" (Johnny Cash cover)

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of those lyrics are trite and utterly cliche... but it sounds like it could be one of their better albums. Looking forward to this and the several bonus tracks.

EDIT: Forgot to say, that Ring of Fire cover actually sounds AWESOME to me!!

First impressions:

Track 1-2: Sound a bit boaring

Track 3-6: I'm impressed

Track 7: Meh, sounds ok but as 1928 said; sounds like a Power Within outtake

Track 8: Wow, I like it!

Track 9: Same as track 7

Track 10: It made me smile:)

Any thoughts about this yet, anyone? I already listened to this album a few times. Really energetic tunes on this just what DragonForce is best at doing. Bonus tracks on special edition kinda sounds like fillers to me compared to the main album. A little bit disappointed with the overly similar sound of the album to Power Within. Kind of hoped for more variety in the songs than just pure aggression, but still a good album.

This album is okay. I didn't like it at first but now it's all right. A step above The Power Within but still not up to snuff for me; probably sits with Ultra Beatdown in terms of quality... I flat out do not like Defenders or The Game and Three Hammers is one of the only ones I consistently go back to, as well as the bonus tracks You're Not Alone and Chemical Interference.

It's alright. Don't think it's as good as The Power Within. Feel like I've all but lost interest in Dragonforce now, although that isn't necessarily down to the latest album.
Similar feelings here too, man. I used to be quite excited about their music because of how fast and energetic their songs are but honestly it's getting repetitive by now. Their music can really bring chaos to my ears because of that and is definitely not suitable for chilling out, you know. PQ's music added so much more melody and diversity(Kudos Steve) compared to them.