DragonForce to play on Ozzfest's Main Stage!

I'd go, but Charlotte is the closest they're playing to ATL. I'd have seriously considered Nashville if they were playing there. A7X and DF on the same bill! Awesome!

zekeyou said:
I don't know-- it seems they have a 'young' following-- also-- I did notice more than one Dragonforce shirt/hoodie at the recent Red Chord/Shai Hulud/Acacia Strain show-- which is NOT a power metal crowd for sure. There is some crossover.

I think it's more of a trend. From what I can tell, Dragon Force are the "current" cool thing for a lot of these kids to be into.

I think the reason Dragonforce have actually hit it pretty successfully is because they appeal to the nerds of the music crowd. Seriously, they are over the top video game music on caffienated speed. And I'm a fan as well so count me in that nerd niche!

Jasonic said:
Worst news of the month.....
Their sound does not fit well for Ozzfest.
Also, being the first band on the mainstage means no one will be watching.
Bad move.
They would have shined on Gigantour.
Sucks. I was really hoping to see them this summer.

True, there are a bunch of people on the Ozzfest board saying that Dragonforce sound like The Darkness and Kansas, that the keyboardist only bangs on the same three keys, calling them gay, and stupid shit like that.

ratanda said:
I think it's more of a trend. From what I can tell, Dragon Force are the "current" cool thing for a lot of these kids to be into.

Which is exactly my point as to why they're on Ozzfest and why it was a wise move for Ozzfest.

Last rumor I saw was that OPETH are added, which would be cool. I like OPETH a lot , but wouldn't run to see them at their own show probably anymore. Seen them enough, but would be a nice addition to a fest.

I think G2 will start AFTER OZZFEST, so don't rule out Dragonforce just yet

Jasonic said:
Last rumor I saw was that OPETH are added, which would be cool. I like OPETH a lot , but wouldn't run to see them at their own show probably anymore. Seen them enough, but would be a nice addition to a fest.

I think G2 will start AFTER OZZFEST, so don't rule out Dragonforce just yet
Yeah, exactly. There is still a glimmer of hope left.:headbang:

General Zod said:
I'm stunned that Sharon Osbourne even knows who DragonForce is. I can't believe they're on the main stage. I guess I underestimated their popularity.

Zod

You have to give Roadrunner credit here. They noted the type of crowd they drew in the States (young hot-topicers) and how well the tour went without a proper domestic release or even any hype/advertisment on a national level. They have really stepped up to the plate when you consider the buy-on fee for Ozzfest.

Plus, Dragonforce really is that popular.

Glenn H.

Harvester said:
They have really stepped up to the plate when you consider the buy-on fee for Ozzfest.
I was under the impression that only the lesser known 2nd Stage bands had buy-on fees. I thought I read that Rob Zombie, Killswitch Engage and Mastadon were paid for their 2nd Stage appearances last year.

Harvester said:
I had no clue. Perhaps because they don't interest me. Have you tried to get them in the past (assuming you can comment)?

Zod

Yeah, I had no clue they were that popular either.
A friend of mine knows a lot of people in the punk scene, and I guess all the young pop punk kids love them because of their "zany guitar riffage" Same reason why young alterna-kids love DIO and MAIDEN. They think it is hip and cool. Dragonforce has apparently tapped that crowd.

I agree with Glenn. I can only assume that Roadrunner had everything to do with their being added. Sharon probably saw that they are selling out most of their shows on their recent outing so figured, "Hey I better jump on tihs ASAP!!"

Also, look at the crap on the 2nd stage. With the exception of Bleeding Through, not many of those bands are really huge draws from a ticket selling stand point.

"Buy-on" and "paid" are two different things. A "Buy-on" is simply a fee paid up front by the label to secure the spot on the roster. The artist still gets paid per performance based on slotting, etc.

I also agree that Zombie, etc did not require a "buy-on." However, I do believe their was some under the table arrangments between Sharon & Roadrunner in terms of Dragonforce getting the mainstage.

In terms of our circles, Blind Guardian probably has the most expensive buy-on for their European tour by far.
Glenn H.

I think I'm gonna go to the show, BOO every band on that second stage, then go bash my brains out to Dragonforce, and then go home. I might stay for BLS and Disturbed, depending on how annoyed I get by all the mallrats.

Maybe I'll just start bodyslamming emo kids. It might be good for stress relief. :heh:

But I think that if Dragonforce has all the kiddies on the Ozzfest forum comparing them to The Darkness and *shudder* Kansas, they're gonna DEBRAIN a bunch of these kids with a shock and awe factor that's worth seeing. I wanna see the goth kids' reaction! That alone will be entertaining to say the least!

And I wanna see if those kids with the plastic swords and duct tape armor show up! They were awesome! You can't possibly have more fun than those kids did in Cleveland. :headbang:

Bryan316 said:
I think I'm gonna go to the show, BOO every band on that second stage

Well that is completely ridiculous. Sure all the other bands blow, but if you are truly going for Dragonforce, why would you need to go near the second stage? (Maybe a closet metalcore fan and the addition of DF now gives you a valid reason to go to OZZFEST?)

Harvester said:
You have to give Roadrunner credit here. They noted the type of crowd they drew in the States (young hot-topicers) and how well the tour went without a proper domestic release or even any hype/advertisment on a national level. They have really stepped up to the plate when you consider the buy-on fee for Ozzfest.

Agreed. I don't like a lot of what RR puts out, but they *do* generally handle it pretty well from a marketing aspect.

Harvester said:

Which, to me, is one of the great mysteries of all time, but, to each their own, I guess.

I don't think I'd criticize Roadrunner's business decisions. They know their shit. Yeah, people give them flak for pushing Type O Negative so hard and neglecting quite a few bands on their roster. But then again... why not be as good of a band as TON was?

Roadrunner knows their shit.

Jasonic said:
Well that is completely ridiculous. Sure all the other bands blow, but if you are truly going for Dragonforce, why would you need to go near the second stage? (Maybe a closet metalcore fan and the addition of DF now gives you a valid reason to go to OZZFEST?)

Unfortunately I gotta go near the second stage cuz they assemble it right next to the entrance gates. You're exposed by default!

Closet metalcore fan? Shit no! I'm bringing two shirts... my Dragonforce shirt, and my MAIDEN shirt! I'll just swap to my DF shirt for their set, and wear the Maiden shirt for the rest of the day. Just to piss people off. :heh: