Dream Theater - 20th anniversary show

Noble Viking

Aka Herman Li
May 16, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.myspace.com
Dream Theater - Hollywood, California - 3/10/06

DSC02500_550.jpg

As I've only been a fan of the band for about a year, this is my second time seeing DT. This venue was definitely classy and the seating was nice because each row was more elevated than the others. I had seats in row D in the Mezzanine section, but moved up to row A when I saw no one was sitting there. The sound to me was perfect! I could here every instrument equalized perfectly. I'm actually into a lot of metal bands that use synths, and this is the first time I could hear everything the synth player was doing. I couldn't have been happier with the sound.

Setlist:

Set One:
The Root of all Evil
Another Won (Majesty Demo)
A Fortune In Lies
Take The Time
The Mirror/
Lie
Raise The Knife
Strange Deja Vu
About To Crash/
Losing Time/Grand Finale

Set Two:
As I Am
These Walls
I Walk Beside You
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium

Encore:
Sheep (Pink Floyd Cover)
Wait For Sleep
Learning To Live (with alternate extended improv section included)

Myung is probably hands-down my favorite bassist now. He's just so precise and accented the drums perfectly during the show. Petrucci looked totally into it and was moving around stage more than I've seen in other videos. I had totally underestimated Rudess' skills. Truthfully, I thought that he was more just an "artsy" type of keyboard player, but he had some really nice improvised solos and chops that surprised me. Labrie's vocals were on point the whole night. Portnoy is a great drummer in the sense that he never over does the drumming unless it's appropriate; this was totally demonstrated in the improvised solo in learning to live. There demeanor on stage was nothing short of professional.

The montage of DT over 20 years gives the band a great sense of accomplishment. Then after the video, they opened up with the Root of all evil. Take the Time is such an amazing song, I can't even believe that anyone could compose a song like that, let alone be able to play all the whole song flawlessly live. As I Am was a real treat as it is one of my favorite Heavy DT songs. These Walls had some great emotion and interaction with the crowd. The song Octovarium creates a great sense of atmosphere. Truthfully, I've probably listened to that song only once all the way through because my attention span doesn't last too long, but I was totally immersed in the song live last night. I had no idea that they covered a Pink Floyd song, but I did think it was a bit funky so it kind of makes sense now. When Learning to Live began, I was like "holy shit, I wonder if Labrie's gonna hit that high note." Then when the time came, Labrie just hit that note perfectly and it seemed like it shook the whole venue.

Overall, the show was totally awesome. I had a great time last night. Dream Theater is a band that is so good and professional at what they do that no one could replicate that type of music; it’s truly one of a kind. Their skills and their magnificent performance only further reinforces that Dream Theater is one of the best bands in the world.

awesome dude!
i jealous of you that you can go and see them live
*sigh*