Any other good Dream Theater albums?

You guys are too harsh on Train of Thought and Systematic Chaos. Not prog enough? what kind of bullshit is that? What about Stream of Consciousness, Endless Sacrifice, and In the Name of God? I can see how you wouldn't like the style of songs like As I Am, but it is still well-written. Dream Theater is different, yes, but they aren't 'less progressive' by sounding heavier

They are "less progressive" because they haven't progressed musically since awake. In fact, I never really saw DT as a progressive band. They take their influences and try to make them their own....like a much more technical Opeth. This sounds blasphemous, but both of these bands wear their influences on their respective sleeves. They don't really "progress" in my opinion.

People that can't hear the change these bands have had over the years need to buy a new pair of ears.

well yeah they've been progressive when compared to their own respective discographies, but they've done nothing to progress music in general...they present nothing new (at least in recent years). If you're listening to Dream Theater and Watershed thinking it's "progressive," then you need to buy some new records.

you are a standard retarded metal listener. any band's best albums have to be the 2nd and the 3rd right, because their first ones are usually poorly produced and the later ones just sold out and you are a fucking underground king who doesn't feel too good about selling a lot of albums because it kills the reaaaaaaaalllllllllllllll art.

SFAM is an AWESOME album, get the fuck out.

actually no I'm not, I enjoy tot and systematic chaos for what they are but sfam is a horrible, overly-pretentious album full of prog rock cliches and horrible over-dramatic vocals by labrie. home is the only song I can actually stand on that album, everything else is horrible.

I mean, can you honestly say that awake doesn't obliterate a song like strange deja vu or finally free?

NicholasDWolfwood responds trollishly sometimes with his absolute statements like "that band/album is fucking horrid end of story" but he's got some damn good tastes.

stop jumping down peoples throats ftlog. we dont need another fucking pseudo philosophical debate on subjectivity and objectivity in music. he said something that doesnt require any evidence or backing up whatsoever, leave it the fuck at that ffs.

SdoiT 2nd disc is cool. SFAM is their best. Awake was awesome before I overlistened. Stay the fuck away from Octavarium and SC. FII is actually not THAT bad.

well yeah they've been progressive when compared to their own respective discographies, but they've done nothing to progress music in general...they present nothing new (at least in recent years). If you're listening to Dream Theater and Watershed thinking it's "progressive," then you need to buy some new records.

Talk about missing the point.

When a band is "progressive" it means that their songs have elements of "progressive" (at least what is by general consensus considered "progressive") and not the fact that they have had influence on progressing the music in general or not.

rofl are you fucking retarded?

the word "progressive" means exactly that, "progressive." now it may mean that they contain (the most pretentious) elements of 60s and 70s prog music, but in general it meant progressing the music. there's a reason why king crimson, camel, some pink floyd, early genesis, jethro tull, etc etc etc were considered progressive you dolt. cos they PROGRESSED (their niche in) rock music.

dream theater hasn't been a progressive band since what, like 95 or smth? loopy-doopy keyboard solos and fantasy lyrics doesn't equal progressive you fucks

^ It's hard to tell, then, because a lot of thing are "progressing", but are not called "progressive". :loco: Fucked up.

we dont need another fucking pseudo philosophical debate on subjectivity and objectivity in music.

Could you just shut the fuck, it was meant to be somehow fun. No philosophy, it was an evidence! I mean, c'mon, I've been a douche but you're being worse now. ¬¬ ass.

Talk about missing the point.

When a band is "progressive" it means that their songs have elements of "progressive" (at least what is by general consensus considered "progressive") and not the fact that they have had influence on progressing the music in general or not.

You can be satisfied with your definition of "progressive" (which seems to be obligatory meter changes, long songs, "epic" lyrics)...just thought I'd let you know that there is music that transcends your narrow definition of the genre, and that Dream Theater and (recently) Opeth are not examples of this music.

I think I'll stop here before some smartass comes in and starts ranting about the frivolity of genres.

I personally like all of the albums I have, least SC, 6DOIT and FII, but like them too really much.

I'd recommend getting Awake, it's my personal favorite along with Octavarium. And ofcourse, Images & Words and Scenes from a memory are really good too.
Not forgetting Octavarium which has lots of nice stuff in it.

(note; I don't own ACOS yet, but I have some live stuff of it, I think it's pretty good, propably perfect without the random soloing in that cool point.)

Edit: I myself started with I&W and Score, I think that this live thing is nice, but only if you like live stuff.