Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events

yeah, after all of the titles they have that i liked (Scenes, Six Degrees,Octavarium), this one sounds like it'll be a concept album about what happened with Mike. Just dissapointing.

Dream Theater is still my #1 band. I think that they have set and continue to set the standard in progressive metal. I don't say that because of some blind loyalty. Octavarium is my least favorite of their albums and as such I haven't played it very much and it didn't make my personal best-of-the-year list. (Although, most up-start prog metal bands would have given both of their you-know-whats to have produced Octavarium.) On the other hand, Black Clouds & Silver Linings was very good. Based upon their track record, I for one will be looking forward to seeing what they come up with. Fingers crossed.

I have said it before: Without them, there may not be the "prog" in Prog Power. My evidence is that most every prog metal band that has come to the festival state DT as one of their major influences.

I love how the moment a chance is presented for a jab to be taken at Dream Theater, some people jump right on it. There's nothing wrong with the album title.

I've pumped enough years and dollars into the band to have an opinion, negative or otherwise.

Dream Theater are a love hate band for me. If the disc is on the heavier side i will be all over it, if it isnt well i will probably pass on it.

Dream Theater is still my #1 band. I think that they have set and continue to set the standard in progressive metal.

I have said it before: Without them, there may not be the "prog" in Prog Power. My evidence is that most every prog metal band that has come to the festival state DT as one of their major influences.

I'm with you here. The only reason I discovered progressive metal is because I googled "bands like Dream Theater" 7 or 8 years ago. They are the prototypical band of the genre, they continue to produce high quality music unlike Queensryche, and they serve as the ongoing face of progressive metal.

I was not thrilled with Black Clouds (but I loved Octavarium!), but unless they suddenly forget how to play their instruments, I will continue to buy their cds.

I'm intrigued that there are nine tracks, which unless it is a double cd, suggests they may be moving away from putting several 14 minute epic songs on each album.

Actually, I would almost take that to mean the opposite. A CD holds 80 minutes. 80 / more tracks = less time per track. I think it is also in line with the number of tracks from most of their discography.

I just hope the new one is good, I didn't mind the last one, but damn, there was some real turd tacos there for a while....
Hoping for the best, I'd like to be the raving fanboi I once was.....

Actually, I would almost take that to mean the opposite. A CD holds 80 minutes. 80 / more tracks = less time per track. I think it is also in line with the number of tracks from most of their discography.

The number of tracks didn't surprise me, they've been progressively getting fewer and fewer so I guess it was time for some breathing room. I suspect the album will still be very progy but not as much as Black Clouds. Scenes from a Memory had 12 tracks on it so even with 9 I would still expect a couple 10+ minute songs.

By the way... not liking the title hardly makes one a "hater". Seems like the pro-DT crowd is just as volatile as the anti-DT one... ;)

Oh man, I see an Opeth vs. Dream Theater war on the horizon!! lol

... and how can you view Opeth as just another band o_O

Both albums should be released about the same time, so it'll be interesting to see which one gets more praise. I'm thrilled for both, Can't Wait!!

Oh man, I see an Opeth vs. Dream Theater war on the horizon!! lol

... and how can you view Opeth as just another band o_O

Both albums should be released about the same time, so it'll be interesting to see which one gets more praise. I'm thrilled for both, Can't Wait!!

Not putting Opeth down at all, I've listened to some of their stuff, It just doesn't do much for me..yeah, I know, I know..LOL, I just don't "get them" :loco:

Not putting Opeth down at all, I've listened to some of their stuff, It just doesn't do much for me..yeah, I know, I know..LOL, I just don't "get them" :loco:

My how we've grown! That line of reasoning used to only be used against anti-PoS fans! :devil:

I tried to get into Opeth, just never did.....They even have a show coming to Chicago, but I'm not sure if I'll give them one last shot or not...