Dream Theater In NYC April 1st

rrhoadsfan1

Aug 10, 2003
Niles Illinois
Visit site
Hey everyone,
I need a lil help here.. Anyone from the NYC area??? I will be comming from Chicago for this show... Being the Grand Finale show of the 20th anniversery tour... Need some suggestions for hotels and some direction.. which airport to fly into and such... Any help would be appreciated,,, Also, Anyone else here planning on attending this show?? It's at Radio City Music Hall.. I'm totally psyched!!!! Happy Holidaze to all...
Paul:headbang: :headbang:

Looks like I'll be going to this show. My buddy bought a couple tickets for us and his sister lives up there so we just have to fly up and we have a place to stay. Should be a killer show...can't wait!:headbang:

Try HotWire.com for hotels in the area....they've found some good deals for me.

JFK, LaGuardia and Newark are all possibilities for airports....if one of them pops up with a price that's more than $40 less than the others, go for it. All three airports have shuttle services that can take you to hotels in Manhattan. For a show at RCMH, I think LaGuardia is the closest, with JFK a few miles farther.

Me, and my Girlfriend will be there as well. What a week, ProgPower UK end of March, and then this to begin April! RAWK!

LaGuardia is the closest airport to Manhattan geographically, but it really doesn't matter which one you fly into. With any of the 3 airports you're going to have to sit on public transportation for at least 45 minutes to get into the city, or pay through multiple orifices for a taxi ride that will take just as long if not longer (not recommended). As for a place to stay, look into crummy hostels in less popular areas of town, or hotels in Queens, if you're not too picky about where you are. If you want a hotel in the vicinity of the venue (which happens to be my neighborhood), you're probably going to have to pay at least $200/night. Keep posting if you have other questions about the city, I'm happy to help with things concerning nyc.

Well I think I'm gonna have to do a crash course in saving some $$$ between now and march...I could goto 237 W. 107th st. But it's a 3 mile subway ride.. that I don't feel like getting mugged on at 1 am coming home from the show.. The closest place for under 400 is about 360.. I think It's 50 W. 34th st.. That's what I hedgin twoards at the moment.. Such is life though.. It's the only big thing I'll do this up comming year till PP..

For the record: New York City is a safe city, the odds of you getting mugged on the street or the subway are incredibly slim at any time of day (though you were probably kidding about that), and W 107 is a pretty safe area...in fact, it's downright trendy (or getting there, at least). And the subway ride between there and Radio City should be 15 minutes or so, with one transfer.

rrhoadsfan1 said:
Well I think I'm gonna have to do a crash course in saving some $$$ between now and march...I could goto 237 W. 107th st. But it's a 3 mile subway ride.. that I don't feel like getting mugged on at 1 am coming home from the show.. The closest place for under 400 is about 360.. I think It's 50 W. 34th st.. That's what I hedgin twoards at the moment.. Such is life though.. It's the only big thing I'll do this up comming year till PP..
Who are you checking prices through. I haven't booked yet, because I'm not sure how long I'm going to stay yet, but I've checked around using various online booking places, and have found a few hotels for under $300 within a half mile of RCMH. This is going from memory, but on one site I found a price under $300 for the Hilton on the Avenue of the Americas, which is only a couple of blocks up from RCMH, according to the map. Of course, then you're gonna get hit with taxes and fees.

If you don't mind staying in a 2 or 4-bed mixed dorm, the Malibu Hostel has rates starting at $25 a night. It's located on 2688 Broadway right next to Central Park. Map
It's about 4.5 miles from RCMH. According to their website, there is a subway station right in front of them and it's about an 8 minute ride to get down town. I think it's well worth it to save about $275 per night. ;)

NOTE: All quoted rates do include taxes.
Only cash or travelers cheques will be accepted as payment upon arrival.

In case ya'll missed this in the other thread.......

Myself and a friend, Mat, decided that we were going to have pre DT show meet up party. I was just in NY for the holiday's and we booked the bar when we were in the city on the 28th.

All the details still need to be worked out......but the basics are this....

$30-35 for 3 hours of open bar and food. Kick ass music on the stereo. We booked it for 3-6 pm on April 1. You pay at the door.

This place is just a fews blocks from RCMH.

I asked the owner and he said that under 21 would be allowed into the party. Be a wrist band deal I'm sure. Not sure if there will be a reduced rate for the under 21, but either way, it would still be a party with other cool peeps plus food.

Soon as I work out the food and a final price I'll give ya'll more details! Hope to see many of you there!

Hey Kel, Jimmy told me about the pre-show party, I'm definitely in! Waiting for the rest of the tour dates to be announced before deciding how long my trip to NY will be.