dream theater sucks!?

great !

it happen just what i want!

infact i intend to give a provocation to this forum.

but i don't think that going like this...

however i still don't like DT.

they are good musicians obviously but their ideas seem not so good to me.

i really like their first albums WHEN DREAM AND DAY UNITE and IMAGE AND WORDS.

but nowaday seems that they sleep too much on that glory and not have a consistent evolution.

there is too much melody and no exploration in dissonance or
other harmonies than major/minor tones.

i don't know but this is my opinion.

:D

well.. that's your opinion.. but they explore what they want to explore... but they shouldn't adapt to your demands.. are they good at what they do? I feel they're brilliant at it... and maybe Petrucci isn't the best out there.. but do you need more technical solos than he displays? not really.. I certainly don't...

and I like their sound on SDOIT even tho' my favourite album is Images & Words.. they're still creating some of the best music out there IMO...

the vocals may not be your thing, but he's damn good and fits the music... he needs balls? it's not necessarily meant to be raw, tough music.. ok.. they covered Master of Puppets and it didn't sound right (vocally).. but LaBrie fits DT and what they want to achieve...

they're one of my top three bands...

Originally posted by dimensionidol
there is too much melody and no exploration in dissonance or
other harmonies than major/minor tones.

i don't know but this is my opinion.

:D
No band is perfect in every area, in fact most musicians suck at way more things than they are good at. Dream Theater have obviously concentrated on some different musical areas than what you prefer (and thats the same for me) but they are very skilled and there are many many people who love their music, both new and old, and thats really all thats important. I find much of their technicial ability doesnt achieve anything emotionally for me, and that obviously makes them appeal less to me, but there are still some great moments. The song A Change of Seasons is awesome.

So yeh, very talented, pretty amazing, but not always what i want.

covering all MASTER OF PUPPETS album!?

what a nonsense is it?:err:

i think is a commercial operation!

it stink of it!?:bah:

it is useful, original master album is impossible to repeat ...

i don't know but i really don't like DT way toward music...

:( :( :( :(

Get a life, if you haven't got better things to do than be online trying to tell everyone how a band sucks...

Despite the fact that you're apparently through here, I just wanted to point out something interesting. M

Most detractors don't like Dream Theater because of their instrumental wanking and lack of song structure. They say that DT have no songwriting skills and hide it with their technical skill. You take the opposite view. Too much melody, not enough dissonance and experimentation. I don't really agree with either one, though I think you're closer.

And I hear no Meshuggah influence in DT at all. You seem to just be picking random examples. If you had said, for instance, Tool, I'd agree. But I bet you don't like Tool.

Originally posted by The Crimson King

And I hear no Meshuggah influence in DT at all. You seem to just be picking random examples. If you had said, for instance, Tool, I'd agree. But I bet you don't like Tool.

it seem strange but TOOL is one of my favourite groups.
but i don't make a comparison with DT 'cause for me TOOL is not a metal act much more rock by the way.

for MESHUGGAH i frequently listen PETRUCCI say that they are a big influence on DT and apart from this, i listen with my ear that in some riffs ,expecially in IMAGE AND WORDS,there are kind off thordenthal riff structures.

however istill don't like DT but i don't consider them shit i only express my opinion and have a confrontation with the other members:

maybe i am fallin' too much into this topic!:eek:

Thorendal structured riffs in Images and words?!! lol, I dont think so, Meshuggah is all about rythm and the chunk chunk chug lug riffing style...Images and Words is by far DT's most melodic album and MIND YOU it was written and recorded in 1991-92...Maybe in under a glass moon, but DT was doing this long b4 Meshuggah even developed their sound at around '93-'94

This guy hasnt even compared DT to a comparable band. I mean if he was spewing off band slike Symphony X, Dalis Dillema, Shadow Gallery, Queensryche..then your point might be better validtaed, but hes comparing DT with bands like Meshuggah, Vintersorg, Bumblefoot..I mean cmon, just 2 completely diff things. If you were to make an argument about DT sucking, at least validtae it to a specific genre, not just bash them, cuz u like an entirely diff genre...An 70s prog rock vs. DT argument is even more valid under these citcumstances. But again...apples and oranges.