Dream Theater - Train of Thought

DreamX

Nov 24, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
Hey fans of Dream Theater!

I have good news. Train of Thought...the latest album of DT is totally kick ass!
I absolutely love it. Sure, it is heavier and some will complain about that but I actually found it more rewarding than Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. I mean I did like 6DOIT but TOT is way more replayable. I love almost every song.

Now for the review:

As I am: The weakest song off the album. Strange that they would start it with this song, however it still is DT. I liked how it starts (continuation from 6DOIT) but then it just gets too repetitive and boring. I still liked it but I could just about do without it.

This Dying Soul: A continuation of The Glass Prison. I loved The Glass Prison and this is even better. They don't repeat themselves quite as much and it is a much stronger and catchier song. I love it and it was the first song i put on...I had already heard As I Am on their website before I bought the album.

Endless Sacrifice: I loved this song. There is many great songs here but this one is just about perfect. It starts off kind of slow and then gets into a really catchy chorus. The whole song is catchy and damn good. 'nuff said.

Honor Thy Father: I loved this song alot as well. It's another well put together song with very cool parts such as: DON'T CROSS THE CROOKED STEP! Petrucci was great throughout song and Portnoy played some great stuff as well.

Vacant: The slow song for the album. Or rather the breather between all the heavy onslaught. I liked it alot and the cello added alot to the mood.

Stream of Consciousness: Good instrumental. Not my favorite of their instrumentals, (nothing can defeat Dance of Eternity) but I did like the way they threw in some Liquid Tension Experiment kicks. A good one to listen to every now and then.

In the Name of God: Perfect ending for the album. It has so many cool parts and even references to the music of today but does it better.

All in all a very good album from DT. Not their best but not even close to being their worse. My only complaint: I wish there were more of Myung, even more classical playing of Rudess would have been nice. Petrucci and Portnoy are all over this one.

9/10

I was blown away by the album.... DT had always straddled the line between flat out awesom and "wimpy" to me, but they finally dropped all the cheesiness and created an awesome epic metal album. I was hoping they would do something like this.

Yup it's a great album, i like honor thy father and this dying soul...the most..but its all ..awesome

I had pretty much given up on DT...until this CD!!! Train of thought is the best thing they've done since Awake. I saw them in concert Monday for the first time. Phenomenal show...Petrucci is a godly guitarist...

This album gives me a boner everytime I listen to it. Need I say more?

Hehe, yeah I do need to say more. I like scenes from a memory a bit more, but this is a close second. Great album.

This has to be one of my favorite albums. As I Am is still good because of the guitar solo in my opinion, but it is a bit mainstream. The album is packed full of 'goliath' badass songs though its like a greatest hits all at once