Train of Thought

Steingrim

Grim to the bone \m/
Jul 28, 2003
Visit site
I'm posting an off topic thread here, feel free to delete it! heh

Dave, what do you think of the new album to Dream Theater?
And what do you think when you listen to the end section of song 2 - is that music or just pure wankage? hehe...
Is John Petrucci your fav prog guitarist? Some of my favs are Michael Romeo and Johan Reinholdz (Andromeda).

Ok, I'm completely new to Power of Omens. I came to this board after listening to the 20 minute track off your new album - I loved it.
I will definitely check your other stuff out and am looking forward to the next album!

Steingrim said:
I'm posting an off topic thread here, feel free to delete it! heh

Dave, what do you think of the new album to Dream Theater?
And what do you think when you listen to the end section of song 2 - is that music or just pure wankage? hehe...
Is John Petrucci your fav prog guitarist? Some of my favs are Michael Romeo and Johan Reinholdz (Andromeda).

Ok, I'm completely new to Power of Omens. I came to this board after listening to the 20 minute track off your new album - I loved it.
I will definitely check your other stuff out and am looking forward to the next album!
VERY VERY COOL!!!!

Welcome to the forum!!!
Glad you enjoyed "In The End" :) ...and I hope you enjoy the rest.

Feel free to post here anytime you want and about anything you want!!!

As for the new DT, kind of ironic, 'cause that's what I'm listening to right now...heheh
I actually love this CD!!!! It's been one of the best ones they've done in a while, in my opinion. I love the heaviness and the direction they went with on this disc. I think I gave up waiting for another Images and Words or Awake, but am very happy with this new one. I think what they did at the end of song 2 was just pure insanity... :lol:
As far as favorites, Petrucci will always be in my top 5 Prog Guitarists of all time, but I also like Mike Romeo (Sym X), Stephen Forte (Adagio), Tom & Henrik (Evergrey) & Ron Jarzombek (Spastic Ink / Watchtower).

Of course i have expressed my love for DT so i just have
to put my 2 cents in here. I have to admit that at first
i did'nt like but the more i hear it the more i love it. I was
kind of upset in the beggining that they did'nt go in the
same directions as 6DoIT but now i see why. Petrucci
sounds pissed here. However i am sad that there was no
bass solo :erk: ,but i'll get over it. I was wondering Dave, if there
were no other drummers qualified, and there was only a
Portnoish drummer who was close enough, would you have
hired the guy if u had no other options?

Tank

Tank101 said:
I was wondering Dave, if there
were no other drummers qualified, and there was only a
Portnoish drummer who was close enough, would you have
hired the guy if u had no other options?

Tank
To be completely honest... that's what we wanted. :)
Someone who has the technical ability, but who knows how and when to use it.

...and I think Portnoy is a good example of that.

Of course, I prefer his Images & Words style compared to what he does now.... but even then, it wasn't too over the top for my taste. What we wanted was someone who knows when and where to place extreme technique, and when to lock down an "interesting" groove or foundation within a song.

Of course it doesn't hurt in being just a "little" over the top from what he does now. ;)

~D

Thanks for the warm welcome, I just feel the love in here! :D
I love the new DT too, right now the instrumental is my fav song. I find it to very emotional and the closing solo fits perfectly.
Best instrumental in a long time by any group!

I hope there will be LONG songs on the next album Dave. ;)
I will buy Rooms of Anguish tomorrow.

Dave - Power of Omens said:
To be completely honest... that's what we wanted. :)
Someone who has the technical ability, but who knows how and when to use it.

...and I think Portnoy is a good example of that.

Of course, I prefer his Images & Words style compared to what he does now.... but even then, it wasn't too over the top for my taste. What we wanted was someone who knows when and where to place extreme technique, and when to lock down an "interesting" groove or foundation within a song.

Of course it doesn't hurt in being just a "little" over the top from what he does now. ;)

~D
Shhhhhhhhhh!!! Thou dost give away too much! ;)

hey, i just heard Power of Omens yesterday and i'm already hooked! im a big symphony x/adagio/dream theater fan. i dont know how many other drummers we have on here, but to me (im a drummer) i really did not like portnoy's sound on Train of Thought. they sounded too dull:zzz: i guess i was expecting something slightly more progressive and technical in the drumming. Great cd, though. i would love to hear Portnoy with Power of omens. hopefully he can get back into his LTE-experimental kind of playing. Im in an area with no serious progmetal drummers around, except Jason Rullo, about 5 hrs north of me:D, so i pretty much learned from Portnoy. if you guys hook up with him, i know i can expect some great music! ... anyone lined up for keyboards yet? You guys are awesome times 10. i'll be sure to spread the word of Power of Omens are here. Awesome stuff, man!

v01c354nd51gn5 said:
hey, i just heard Power of Omens yesterday and i'm already hooked! ... anyone lined up for keyboards yet? You guys are awesome times 10. i'll be sure to spread the word of Power of Omens are here. Awesome stuff, man!
Very Cool!!! Welcome to the forum!!!
We're glad you're enjoying our music. :cool: Thanks so much for the very cool compliments as well as continuing to spread the word about us and our music.
As far as a keyboardist.... there are a couple of people that we are considering at the moment. We're hoping that we can eventually make a decision pretty soon. :)

Thanks for finding this board!!! Feel free to make yourself at home here and post as much as you'd like, as we love seeing people particpate and sharing their thoughts with all of us.

~Dave

v01c354nd51gn5 said:
have u guys practiced with Derron much, and how's he workin out? That video of his was real impressive.
Actually our first rehearsal with him is coming up. :)

The holidays and my little accident kinda pushed things back... but it hasn't stopped us from writing and sending the ideas back and forth. What really surprised us as well is that Derron has also contributed to the writing. Not only is he an awesome drummer, but he's a great keyboardist and songwriter. He recently sent me a score of an idea he's been working on, and it simply screams "Power of Omens" :lol:
So we'll definitely be incorporating that into the new music as well anything else that happens to fit the style. ;)

~D