My "Train of Thought"...

May 9, 2003
I know there is already a thread discussing this cd but it is so big a full now I just started this thread to give my opinion on this album.

Anyway, to start, I will get right to the point and tell you I love this album. Why? Well, the songs on this album are a lot like songs like The Glass Prison and Beyond this Life. Some people think it sounds too nu-metalish, but I dare to say the guitars sound nothing like nu-metal, they are pure metal, with plenty of technicality. At first it the songs may seem like a guitar riff fest but each track except the 3 min ballad "Vacant" are 10-11 mins. As you delve deeper into the mins of each track more keys and technicality come forward for the listener to hear. Each song "progresses" and never gets boring. The one song that kind of doesn't is the opener "As I Am" in which the very boring and droggy chorus is repeated way too much IMO. I would like to add that I didn't really like 6DoIT very much either except The Glass Prison and I thought The Great Debate was ok once the "news voices" at the first few minutes finished. Also, some complain of LaBrie rapping in the song "Honor thy Father", I would like to add that it is brief and doesn't sound too terrible as some portray it to be. Although I keep waiting for him to say at the last line of rapping "cause it's my perogative". Strangely enough in the song "This Dying Soul", there is a point in the song where the riff sounds JUST like a riff out of The Glass Prison, and to add LaBrie says "I can't break out of this prison all alone". Very weird that they would reuse this stuff but except that line in the chorus and the one part with the riff it is totally its own song. Another huge reason I like this album is that LaBrie sound a LOT better than usual on this album, I usually get annoyed of his voice when listening to other DT songs and is the reason I usually can't listen to DT too long. Not so with this album. This album is pretty much like the music from their heavier songs, but every song is of this type except one. To conclude, the only reason I see at someone not liking the album at all is if they are not a fan of heavier DT songs.

U make some good points. BTW This Dying Soul has the riff and lyrical reference to The Glass Prison because it is a continuation of The Glass Prison. This Dying Soul is in two parts: IV:Reflections of Reality (Revisited) and V:Release (theres and R alliteration theme for all V parts). Both songs are about Portnoy's 12 steps in AA. They're gonna play TGP directly into TDS when they go on their next tour.

P.S. I too love this album. Im also joeshabadoo on the DT forums, but you wont find me there anymore cause the closed minded n00bs are swarming and no one can have any sort of intelligent discussion there.

symphonyXjapan said:
Also, some complain of LaBrie rapping in the song "Honor thy Father", I would like to add that it is brief and doesn't sound too terrible as some portray it to be.

I actually like that part. It doesn't help that he says "foo", though.

Kronikle66 said:
Would a fan of Images and Words like this? If not then what other DT cds sound most like I&W?

No.

None of their albums sound alike. The closest to Images & Words would actually be their debut album (When Dream and Day Unite), but I would steer clear of that, since the singer is horrible. If you really liked Metropolis Pt. 1 from I&W, get Scenes From A Memory (it's a continuation of the story). This is one of the best albums EVER, and a must for any Dream Theater fan.

The new album is HEAVY...and I mean HEAVY! The only songs that could rival the heaviness of this new album would be "The Glass Prison", "Caught in a Web", "The Mirror", "Lie", and "The Test That Stumped Them All".

In fact, there's even a continuation of "The Glass Prison" on the new album. If you like DT's heavy songs, you'll love this album.

I like some of their heavy songs. The Glass Prison is one of my favorites. I tried Scenes From A Memory but I really thought the lyrics and a lot of the slowness ruined it. That's why I hardly like any concept albums unless they are done right (Into the Electric Castle... no not V. I don't like that concept album). You get albums that are more focused on the story rather than making the mouse kick major ass. You have to have music that goes with the story which really takes away a lot.

But honestly, I'm more of a softy. I prefer songs like Take the Time, Learning to Live, To Live Forever, Liquid Dreams (LTE), from the whole Dream Theater sect and things like The Accolade, Through the Looking Glass, Communion and the Oracle from the Symphony X sect. Not AS big a fan for the heavy stuff.

Oh well.

I will agree that James' performance on this album is excellent if that means shit to anyone. :D

joeshabadoo said:
U make some good points. BTW This Dying Soul has the riff and lyrical reference to The Glass Prison because it is a continuation of The Glass Prison. This Dying Soul is in two parts: IV:Reflections of Reality (Revisited) and V:Release (theres and R alliteration theme for all V parts). Both songs are about Portnoy's 12 steps in AA. They're gonna play TGP directly into TDS when they go on their next tour.

P.S. I too love this album. Im also joeshabadoo on the DT forums, but you wont find me there anymore cause the closed minded n00bs are swarming and no one can have any sort of intelligent discussion there.
I noticed when I was briefly looking through there that a lot of people in the forum don't like this album. Wierd. I know opinions are opinions but damn. Some fan forum!

Small deal but I laughed my ass off hearing James curse on As I Am and Honor Thy Father. As I did with the Test that Stumped Them All. :D

I like to think of Train of Thought as a non-standing album (doesn't stand as a good album nor as a bad album), whith both some really cool moments and some horrible moments.

"dont cross the crooked step"

hahaha, classic!

ok, the album...at first i hated it, now ive grown to like it very much.

ElPredicador said:
I like to think of Train of Thought as a non-standing album (doesn't stand as a good album nor as a bad album), whith both some really cool moments and some horrible moments.
I'm beginning to think the same way (As I Am would be a good example of a song that I find boring than offensive), although thankfully the second half of the album is largely devoid of any truly embarrassing moments.

symphonyXjapan said:
I know there is already a thread discussing this cd but it is so big a full now I just started this thread to give my opinion on this album.

Anyway, to start, I will get right to the point and tell you I love this album. Why? Well, the songs on this album are a lot like songs like The Glass Prison and Beyond this Life. Some people think it sounds too nu-metalish, but I dare to say the guitars sound nothing like nu-metal, they are pure metal, with plenty of technicality. At first it the songs may seem like a guitar riff fest but each track except the 3 min ballad "Vacant" are 10-11 mins. As you delve deeper into the mins of each track more keys and technicality come forward for the listener to hear. Each song "progresses" and never gets boring. The one song that kind of doesn't is the opener "As I Am" in which the very boring and droggy chorus is repeated way too much IMO. I would like to add that I didn't really like 6DoIT very much either except The Glass Prison and I thought The Great Debate was ok once the "news voices" at the first few minutes finished. Also, some complain of LaBrie rapping in the song "Honor thy Father", I would like to add that it is brief and doesn't sound too terrible as some portray it to be. Although I keep waiting for him to say at the last line of rapping "cause it's my perogative". Strangely enough in the song "This Dying Soul", there is a point in the song where the riff sounds JUST like a riff out of The Glass Prison, and to add LaBrie says "I can't break out of this prison all alone". Very weird that they would reuse this stuff but except that line in the chorus and the one part with the riff it is totally its own song. Another huge reason I like this album is that LaBrie sound a LOT better than usual on this album, I usually get annoyed of his voice when listening to other DT songs and is the reason I usually can't listen to DT too long. Not so with this album. This album is pretty much like the music from their heavier songs, but every song is of this type except one. To conclude, the only reason I see at someone not liking the album at all is if they are not a fan of heavier DT songs.

The album may be heavier, but there is so much tasty stuff to discover. Great job DT!!!

I don't understand why people freak out that DT makes albums that don't sound like Images and Words? I mean, if DT fans are dissapointed when DT music doesn't sound like stuff from that album then why are they still DT fans, I mean nothing since Images and Words has sounded like that album. And that was some time ago too! I found out a girl I work with likes DT because she saw I had the new one (ToT). I let her borrow it cause she said she loved IaW and CoS. She told me it was alright but she likes their "older" stuff better. I mean geez, all of DT's albums have their own concept to them, and this one had the concept of an album full of heavier DT songs all in one package. I personally think that after 6DOIT having such slow toned down songs, except Glass Prison and sort of Great Debate, they needed an album to go full throttle. I can kind of see why people hate 6DOIT, I think it is prob their worst as well, but the new album is so much like stuff from Awake and some stuff from Scenes from a Memory. It might be heavy, but their is still plenty of technicality and keys to make it true DT music.