Dream Theater: VIP Package - a bit of a letdown

TENTH DREAMER DECEIVER

Halcyon Way Sufferer
Jan 7, 2002
Pros:

Early entry in the Mac Hall.
Bought a whole wack of merch. T-shirts (Prog Nation & Watershed), 3 bootleg cds (Maiden, Metallica, Deep Purple) and the autobiography.
Excellent performance by DT!
Met the band and got stuff signed.
There seemed to be tension at the table. Not sure why. Unless one of VIPs complained or the band was unhappy with Mac Hall. Just guessing.
While all the guys were cool, James LaBrie went the extra mile and really made me feel welcome at the table.

Cons:

Lousy view of the stage.

Band seemed that they really didn't want to be at the VIP autograph session and couldn't wait to leave.

Security was just miserable to the VIPs and did not like getting coordinated by the girl in the purple outfit.

Being told we were on the "band's time" and they will come out when it suited them. Also not being treated like adults who paid $300.00 (before taxes) for the package. 2-3 people were grumbling and tension was created where it really didn't need to be.

There were only 21 people so the band could have spent extra time with each person.

No Q&A session. After you got your autographs your presence was no longer required.

So, would I do it again? Maybe but certainly not at Mac Hall.

I don't mean to laugh at you (I feel bad) but this is a big "I told you so" to all the people who defended this marketing gimmick in previous discussions.

I have to agree with Kenneth. It's nothing but a marketing gimmick.

I'd absolutely NEVER pay that much for a "special package".

Me too.

It could have been an off night but the band sold a VIP package without really treating the customers as VIPs. The least their could have done was put on a game face and been a bit happier (excluding LaBrie who "got it"). Anyway, I hope other folk have a better experience. :headbang:

QUOTE=ratanda;7242001]This describes only 1 night. I'm curious to see how the package has gone or will go for other cities.[/QUOTE]

Me too.

It could have been an off night but the band sold a VIP package without really treating the customers as VIPs. The least their could have done was put on a game face and been a bit happier (excluding LaBrie who "got it"). Anyway, I hope other folk have a better experience. :headbang:

I, for one, am shocked that John Myung was not more vibrant and animated for you at this VIP session.

Oh come on, yes you would. If Angra announced some kind of package like that you'd be first in line, assuming you could wrangle up enough sponsors to afford it

LOL Never. I'd go see them, but I don't need to pay to meet people I already know.

It'd be like us paying for a meet'n greet with Into Eternity. :lol:

Yeah. I was aware of his personality and only spoke a few words. :) Hopefully, other "VIPs" will have a better experience. At the end of the day, the "Meet" was ok but the "Greet" was lacking.

I didn't expect the quality of an Ian Gillan, KK Downing, Ian Hill or Rik Emmett. But would have been happy with the same level of enthusiasm Brian Fair, Doug Pinnick or Mikael Stanne had.

I wouldn't pay a dime extra to meet a band. Just doesn't interest me. But hey, some people like collecting autographs and such. Different strokes...

Zod

Then again, it's not impossible to meet Dream Theater at their concerts anyways. It's not like they're fucking U2 or something.

I saw DT from front row and met them when they still had Kevin Moore - $300 could never replicate *that* experience.

I'd never pay to meet someone anyway. If it's a nominal, we're-donating-to-charity type fee, that's not such a big deal - I paid two bucks for a photo with Marina Sirtis for my dad - but I've generally felt that if I had to PAY to spend time in someone's presence, they probably weren't anyone I really wanted to meet anyway.

I saw them on the opening show of the 2007 tour in San DIego, I paid the 300 bucks and got front row and center. Given that my wife, from Brazil, never had seen DT and has been a fan for years, I still consider the money worth it. But yes, the band, although very polite, was obviously not into the entire meet and greet thing. I recall being told, or reading somewhere, that the band really doesn't like the idea of a meet and greet, that it's a completely label initiated thing and that certainly if shouldn't cost that much. I was glad to meet them, shake their hands, get an autograph, but as far as a meet and greet, it was more like a cattle line. You barely had a chance to ask any question before you had to move on to the next person. It was more like a record store autograph line, not a VIP experience. In a few more years I'd drop another 300 bucks for front row seats if I knew it was going to be an amazing show. Once every couple years for a band you really enjoy watching is more than worth it for me. Hell, you know what front row tickets to any major pop band would cost these days?

Eh :rolleyes:

You never bought a t-shirt or cds at a show? Or perhaps, Daddy's internet connection grants you unlimited access to free music? :p

As previously stated, hope all the other VIPS have a better time. :headbang:

For your information (in case that post was directed to me), I have over 1500 CD's in my collection, and they were either purchases or complimentary copies sent to me by bands or record labels.

Daddy's internet connection is at daddy's house. I have my own one and I don't have unlimited access to free music.

Oh yeah, my collection of metal t-shirts have reached 120.

In case the post wasn't directed at me, disregard this post. :)