Dreaming Neon Black - Poor Production?

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
This has got to be one of my favorite CDs of all time. However, in my opinion, the production is horrible. Aside from my home stereo system, which has some kick ass speakers, I get a ton of distortion when I listen to this disc. I don't own another CD (and I own 400) that this happens with.

Has anyone else noticed this?

GZ

dhiadw has the worst production (and the worst songs). every other album has excellent production because Neil Kernon is the man. andy sneap can go to hell.

24356>>>Ur saying that because....A)You cant hear...or B) cause you dont like Andy Sneap.

Yeah,,Dreaming Neon Black has the worst production,,,at times the bass sounds like some fat ass farting,,but the cd is still good.

Originally posted by 24356
dhiadw has the worst production (and the worst songs). every other album has excellent production because Neil Kernon is the man. andy sneap can go to hell.

While I would agree that Dreaming was a superior CD, Dead Heart is an amazing CD.

Explain to me why, if Kernon's production work on Dreaming is so good, the CD sounds like your listening to it through blown speakers, when Dead Heart sounds fantastic through the same system?

GZ

I too have noticed some very distorted bass on Dreaming Neon Black. I just turn the bass down on the equalizer when listening to the C.D. with headphones. I try to do the same with my car C.D. player but it Doesn't work as well. But despite this slight flaw, this is still a great C.D. As for Andy Sneap and Dead Heart In A Dead World, I think the production is fine. Andy has also done brilliant work with Testament and Pissing Razors. Some people may not like DHIADW because of slower paced songs like Insignificant, Believe In Nothing, and Heart Collector. But remember, Nevermore has done this since their first album with Sanity Assasin and Hurting Words.

She screams from the alcove, I AM THE DOG!!!

ZANEX "THE DOG" :heh:

NK is great,but the production on DHIADW is a miracle...thumbs up for AS.

We can only speculate on how much more power a sharp production like on Dead Heart would have added to songs like Beyond Within or Poison Godmachine, not that they are missing any. In some respects, DNB benefits from having a raw sound.

I simply LOVE DHIADW... it has the BEST guitarsound I've EVER heard. It's incredible... And I just noted something. When listening to the cd in a freestyle you really hear a piano in Evolution 169. never thought about that before... It's awesome.

Maybe they will just come out w/a live version that kicks fucking ass and you can all quit your arguing, that would solve the problem.

:p

i always liked the production on DNB. It never occured to me to call it raw. raw is early emperor, venom, bathory, old destruction, darkthrone. DNB, I think, has good production. its not really clean but it sounds great for the songs...i think..

and andy sneap is the man. the last testament record sounded awesome, and the new nevermore has great production. he gets of the best kick drum sounds....that's probly the best part of the whole cd. i heard the new kreator (produced by sneap) and its unholy! the drums sound so good, and the guitar tone is awesome. he's doing some of the best work out there right. sneap, fredman and the abyss man. that's where its at right now. and morrisound too, though i don't like the production on the new iced earth.

Listen man: Nevermore use EMG active pickups on their guitars. That's why they get that sound. They also tune their guitars at least 1 tone down to get the best volume and mass in their sound. What you really don't understand is tha they want to get this sound. It's their trademark. Politics of Ecsracy has the same sound production as well as In Memory or Dead Heart (a bit clearer though). I think that this massive destroying and nihilistic guitar and bass sound is great. Anyway if they wanted to change their sound they would have done it years ago. Metallica's Load has a similar sound (but with less distortion an more mids). Check the beginning of Ain't my bitch.

I have to agree. DNB used to just kill the speakers in my car with the low end. It's my favorite Nevermore disc, but the mix sucks. I have to play it on lower volume to avoid distortion.

The bass is mixed too loud on DNB. Makes every sound system i've tried it on fart, it blew a couple sets of my speakers. Its not the guitar like OVERCAST said, because shit loads of metal bands use very similar setups as Nevermore, and don't suffer from this problem. DHIADW uses 7 strings, and if that was the case, than DHIADW would be worse, but its not worse, its much better.

It's strange hearing this, because I've never heard the CD distort on any system. It was mastered using the HDCD system which really packs a wallop (loads of level and also it expands to full 24bit on HDCD-compatible systems, which sounds huge). The level might be what's causing this farting (although I've not experienced it on anything as I said).

I have used this process for most of my albums done in the last 3-4 years (it didn't exist when I produced PoE or anything earlier by Nevermore, so I can't compare those two albums. It's also possible that something happened in the duplication process (I certainly didn't mix the album with lots of crapping out and distortion in it :) and that the HDCD decoding process got screwed up at that time. I have heard of that happening, and to avoid that there is always a disclaimer that is included with the album master when it is delivered to the record label and hopefully subsequently to the duplicating plant, so as to avoid problems that could occur.

I'd be curious to find out if the HDCD light comes on (for those with compatible players) when the CD is inserted. If it doesn't, something might have gone amiss in the duplication, which is sadly out of my hands.

Neil K.

Originally posted by doommaker
The bass is mixed too loud on DNB. Makes every sound system i've tried it on fart, it blew a couple sets of my speakers. Its not the guitar like OVERCAST said, because shit loads of metal bands use very similar setups as Nevermore, and don't suffer from this problem. DHIADW uses 7 strings, and if that was the case, than DHIADW would be worse, but its not worse, its much better.

Yeah, I'd say DNB was the key culprit in the destruction of my 6x9's in my old car. When I had the volume up where I played most metal albums it would distort like crazy. I would play heavier albums even louder with no problems but not DNB. It did the same on my home speakers when cranked loud, but not as bad.