dreams come true

Pitiless Wanderer

Jun 14, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
There are few events in your life that you know you'll truly remember forever. Last night, I can say, was one of those things I will never forget. Im not religious at all...but this is as close to a miracle as I have ever been a part of...

I went to see SYL in Worcester, Mass. I got there early, looked around for Dev or anyone by the bus, but they were doing sound check inside so I just got in line and waited.

The doors open aid I got up front to the front row and chilled there. The berzerker came out and played. They suck.

Next up was SYL. Dev and the guys fucking demolished the palladium. They were tight as fuck, and crystal clear too. An amazing performance. It felt so good to see Dev up close and in person after all these years of waiting. They played OMFG, In the Rainy Season, SYL, rape song, Last minute and consequence.....and all hail the new flesh as an encore. During OMFG I pointed at Dev and smiled, and he pointed back and said "you sir, get down there, and suck, my buddies cock!" fuck ya! haha! Awesome!

Then Dark Tranquility came on and they were awesome as usual.

Thats when things got interesting. I was tired and I decided to leave before Nile or Napalm Death. On my way out I rounded the bar like 3 times looking for Dev...no luck. So I said well, Ill meet him next time around, no big deal. I left and headed toward my car. I saw the tour bus and people around it talking so I walked over to see who was out. No one, just some kids. Fuck.

What happened next, Ill never know why or how it happened....it was just something I cant explain.

I started toward my car, and then without thinking about it, I just started walking...walking toward the buses behind the venu. I dont even know why I did it or really remember anything...I jsut started walking. As I got the front of the bus, I got to the door, and right as I set foot to the door, I mean RIGHT as I got up there...the door opened, and Devin came out. Right there, in my face. Devin Townsend. I was surprisingly calm, and I said hello to him, and thanked him for a great performance and told him his music really means a lot to me and it's helped me through some tough times. He said that was killer, and hopefully we can continue to do it and make it last.

So we started walking, he offered me some coffee, and we just walked and talked. Before I know it, we're back in the palladium through the back enterance. I asked him if I was allowed to come with him and he said ya of course...I was like holy shit...

So we walked all the way up to the top of the building to the lounge where all the bands hang out. I saw the guys from Dark Tranquility just hanging back...and I waited in the hall for Dev as he finished a photo shoot thing. So, he called me in this room and we sat down together and then he had to go all of the sudden.

So, then he came back, pulled up a chair in front of me, and there I was, one on one, with Devin Townsend, my favorite musician ever. The man Ive been listening to for 3 years every day. Just me, and Dev.

We talked, alone, for about half an hour. Im not going to say what we talked about. Im not going to tell anyone, ever. It was just a very special moment that I'll never forget, and I want it to remain just the way it was, real and emotional, for both of us.

But, the odds of that happening... I mean, I had to have left exacly when i did for that to happen. The timing was literally perfect. It was a miracle. And one of the first things Dev said to me was that I looked really familiar the first time he saw me when he was on stage...we've never met before that. I really felt a connection...it was honestly just something I cant put into words.

I was also part of a lattice of coincidence. Due to nearly killing myself during the SYL set (more literally than I would like), I had to stand somewhere with minmal human congestion and a view of the stage to get the show review done. Minutes later, I look over and there's Gene Hoglan to my side. Him, Byron, and Dev have to be some of the most decent non-friend/family types I've ever met. The few queries I could make, he answered and was a downright gentleman to everyone who showed up.
Didn't really have an involved conversation with him. Couldn't have if I wanted to. Still, meeting someone I had a healthy respect for and walking off with it actually enhanced was a good change from the norm.

-K

p.s. Glad you got the oppourtunity man. You seemed a decent fellow. If we cross paths again, let's grab some tea or something.

Woa, that must have been awesome. Yeah, Devin is a really cool guy from all what Ive read before. I so hope i can get to talk to him after one of those german gigs.

congratulations! so now you two are gay lovers( sorry bad joke...)

I got a dream come true when I went to Copenhagen last february and got to be a roadie for Iced earth( which i like verrryyy much) coz i know a guy that lives in Denmark and he knows the management

I was with them from 15pm and until midnight
I was afraid to talk to them at first but later i did... also i didn´t want to disturb them that much being big fan, of course i had my picture taken with them( the one with Jon Schaffer didn´t develop; stupid single use cameras) during the Horror show set i was asked to be a bouncer and throw away crowd surfers!

thanks guys. yea, it was really surreal. being in the same room as him and just listening to him talk about things...i cant explain it. there was just a lot of energy and emotion. ive never felt anything quite like that before, and i probably wont ever again.

I don't see the homoeroticism in that story. It's not as manly as my "I brought Gene some vodka and got a chance to get wasted with my metal brother" tale. However, it's only "gay" if you really read into it. He just comes across as a euphoric fanboy with a strong case of hero worship.

Very cool story, man. I got to talk to Devy at ProgPower and got his autograph, but it wasn't a very detailed conversation. I hope I get a chance to talk to him some more when I see SYL this Friday. I can't fucking wait. :D