Drum Mics?...

Shredfiend

Sep 2, 2004
Any recomendations for drum mics......I need to pick out some mics for my drummer. I was thinking SM81 fora single overhead. It's a 5 piece kit-double pedal/single bass drum. BD will be triggers using a D4.

Thanks!

I use the ones that have those cables coming out of the end, you know, that you can, like, stick into other things.

57 or i5 would be good for snare (hell, one of each would work well - i5 on top for the 'pop' and 57 on bottom for the 'thunk'), MD421(s) for toms, e602 would be a good start on a kick drum but if that's getting separate treatment then it's not an issue... a decent condenser pair would probably sound a bit better so you have stereo separation of the cymbals (so it doesn't sound too monotonous), and there was just a thread about those a quick scroll down the Equipment subforum (off the top of my head, MXL 603s and Oktavia MK012s were recommended for a low price range) so you might want to read up on that.

Jeff

unless he is looking to spend a grand you wont be able to affor 421's for your toms. Use sm57's on toms and snare or i5's both work well and are 100 bucks each. For kick I've heard great things about the audix D6, i use a Beta52a and it works nice. As far as overheads mxl 991's i beleive are they stereo pair for around $180. But def. 57's or i5's on toms.

jordan

sennheiser e604s are better for toms than 57s or i5s imho. i have all three and the 604s are clear winners for toms for me. they sound more natural on toms than the other two. the i5s are great on snare and the 57s will do the trick on snare as well.