Drum sample help

Yeah, it's just it seems any drum samples + good programming SHOULD be good, but doesn't what program I use for the original samples (Even though I'm replacing the samples ...) sort of matter because it keeps in mind left hand, right hand etc etc? Sorry for all the questions - I'm just really trying not to buy anything unnecessary. What someone should really do is make a program where you can build a drumset from .GOG or Kontakt files and it plays your MIDI to you using it. Just decide which sample goes to which midi drum, and voila!
Alas, nothing in life is that simple.

Drumagog can pretty much do this...

^^Improper use of it, you're better off with Battery or Kontakt.

Thanks dude, looking into this, I think that seems like what would be best.
Googling came up with no results - can Battery not load Kontakt instruments?

^^Improper use of it, you're better off with Battery or Kontakt.

+!
You can't program drums directly from Drumagog. You have to have some sort of sampler before Drumagog.

P.S. I haven't been able to read all of the posts, but can you guys PLEASE start saying "Kontakt" instead of "SSD" when referring to loading Joey's samples? Because that can easily throw off some of the newbs here.

imo, the best solution here would be this:
GP5 to Program & full version of Kontakt 4 to use Sturgis samples.

I'm not sure what daw you use, but in my daw, you can load a file as the midi drums and it drops everything into a map where you can completely velocity edit, groove & quantize/humanize in very complete ways.
hell, you can even skip GP5 and program directly within the daw.

from there you can trigger multiple sample formats (SSD, Sturgis, & Superior) simply by separating each midi drum part (as if it were real multi-tracked drums to begin with) and assigning each midi out to the appropriate VI.

Kontakt 4 should basically solve your issues in programing all around while giving you other options out of the VI than the SSD Kontakt player would.
and by using the method above, you can easily use any number of midi-based sample replacement VIs on a single drum track.

imo, the best solution here would be this:
GP5 to Program & full version of Kontakt 4 to use Sturgis samples.

I'm not sure what daw you use, but in my daw, you can load a file as the midi drums and it drops everything into a map where you can completely velocity edit, groove & quantize/humanize in very complete ways.
hell, you can even skip GP5 and program directly within the daw.

from there you can trigger multiple sample formats (SSD, Sturgis, & Superior) simply by separating each midi drum part (as if it were real multi-tracked drums to begin with) and assigning each midi out to the appropriate VI.

Kontakt 4 should basically solve your issues in programing all around while giving you other options out of the VI than the SSD Kontakt player would.
and by using the method above, you can easily use any number of midi-based sample replacement VIs on a single drum track.

+ 1

That's exactly how I'm running my programmed but figured that may be out his price range... as slate + kontakt 4 + sturgis... is a little pricey...

yeah. it just may be out of his price range.
but I figured that would probably be the best long term investment.

my next move is exploring how Trigger will take this to a new level for me.
any thoughts on this?
currently I use a program included within my daw (interestingly enough called the "trigger" plugin haha) that basically converts an audio signal to an midi note. I'm not satisfied with it's accuracy with velocities but I make due.

I hear Trigger is really good at this and may be worth the investment. in addition to it being easy to make your own multi-samples. because honestly, as great as Slate & Superior have been to me, I'm looking to take the next step and create my own monster samples.

also, can the sturgis samples easily work with trigger?
if so, this may also be a simple solution for those who want to program with his samples

Dumb question, but what articulations do you guys seem to be the best? Always hard for kick? What about for snare? Mostly medium going up for hits that need emphasis (hard) or mostly hard and maybe some medium hits thrown in? And the cymbals? I'm just wondering because I finally now have the set, but I'm really not used to programming things on my own... usually just drag and drop into Toontrack stuff and voila. I will have to do a lot of velocity adjustments by hand myself, since the default Guitar Pro velocity is 95 (which is a soft hit for many pieces of the kit)

Dumb question, but what articulations do you guys seem to be the best? Always hard for kick? What about for snare? Mostly medium going up for hits that need emphasis (hard) or mostly hard and maybe some medium hits thrown in? And the cymbals? I'm just wondering because I finally now have the set, but I'm really not used to programming things on my own... usually just drag and drop into Toontrack stuff and voila. I will have to do a lot of velocity adjustments by hand myself, since the default Guitar Pro velocity is 95 (which is a soft hit for many pieces of the kit)

Joey uses crack hits (120 - 127) velocities) on the heavier stuff. Esp the snare

Joey uses crack hits (120 - 127) velocities) on the heavier stuff. Esp the snare

The crack hit sounds too much like... a crack haha. I don't like the sound very much. But my non crack hit isn't sounding very good either. I just want the drums to sound as good as they did in the Joey unmastered example. Obviously I need to tame my overhead levels, but heres some shitty programmed drums from guitar pro dragged into Kontakt with the Truth Black and Gold drums and cymbals. I changed the kick velocity to hard, I think I did with the cymbals too. The snare is hard, not crack.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27079170/drumexample.mp3 Here's what I got.

How do I make (especially my snare!) sound as good as the Joey example... am I missing something obvious here?

EDIT: I played the snare in a seperate project file by using my MIDI keyboard... and it sounds way better. What am I doing wrong here? Is it how I have the tracks routed?

I have bought all Joey Sturgis samples and found it sounding great! But only one issue gives big pain fo me is dynamics and limited layers quantity. So, there is a huge difference between HRD and MED layers, especially for crash cymbals. It's very audible in the mix unless using only MED layer. Moreover, input velocity has no effect for Kontakt within each layer (Crashes only. For chinas/splashes/bells it works properly).
And I don't know why China B in Shoulder City set has 5 chokes and only 3 open hits (in my opinion it's unreasonable disproportion).

Anyway, big thanks to Joey for great work with samples and very affordable prices!

I have bought all Joey Sturgis samples and found it sounding great! But only one issue gives big pain fo me is dynamics and limited layers quantity. So, there is a huge difference between HRD and MED layers, especially for crash cymbals. It's very audible in the mix unless using only MED layer. Moreover, input velocity has no effect for Kontakt within each layer (Crashes only. For chinas/splashes/bells it works properly).
And I don't know why China B in Shoulder City set has 5 chokes and only 3 open hits (in my opinion it's unreasonable disproportion).

Anyway, big thanks to Joey for great work with samples and very affordable prices!

with the layer difference that just means you arent comping correctly.