Triggering snare rolls

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
Hey dudes

I'm using Drumagog 5.. Yes, I said Drumagog 5, not trigger. Please don't tell me I need to get Trigger. Just don't.

Basically there is a section in a song where the drummer does some intricate snare rolls, where some of this hits are crack hits.. I'm triggering the snare, and for some reason when I turn the sensitivity down, the crack hits become flams ( it triggers 2 snares instead of 1)..

I was thinking about slicing the soft rolls into a different track and just using that track for that purpose, but seems pretty inefficient. Any suggestions?

Here is an idea, get a drum pad and mic it with a 57 then put drumagog on the channel then play it out while listening to the triggered audio then cut it up and move to the grid after then you got a perfect snare roll already humanized.

maybe a stupid idea but it works really well for me here is something i recorded doing that snare roll at 0:28

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14412995/Introdrumsquickydeletelater.mp3

Edit: I hope that helps!

All of the above could work, it's down to preference.

...or you could get Trigger and not bother :p

I use Massey DRT to convert to midi, then you can use that to trigger accurately with drumagog, trigger, SSD or superior. (I use superior and/ or trigger)

I've been using Drumagog and this is what I do to my snare tracks. I'll try my best to explain so here it goes...

First I separate the hard hits, fills, blast beats and sidesticks. Each into 4 separate tracks. Normalize them to -5db by section to keep levels consistent. That also means each drum fill gets the hardest hit at -5db. By the way I set my hardest sample group to trigger at -5db to -8db and it gradually softens down from there.

This is how I set them up to work as 4 Drumagog snare tracks...

#1 is for the hard/crack hits - I set Drumagog's dynamic tracking from 10% to 15% on this track. so you hear very consistent solid hits. my snare crack samples are used here basically. No fills or ghost notes or sidesticks on this track ok.

#2 is for the dynamic hits - dynamic tracking is set to 100%, and the threshold is anywhere around -20db. maybe even a lot lower. ALL the snare fills/flams go to this track.

*One important thing is that I cut the gap on EACH drum hit so Drumagog won't have problems detecting them down to the last detail. It's a pain in the ass but it must be done. Trigger has a ducking feature that works well but there are moments when too much bleed on everything just destroys it all. Also there are moments when you intentionally hit other drums with the snare but Trigger ducks it. Plus neither Drumagog or Trigger will be able to track 100% accurately anyway but that's normal. Drums are just really really dynamic instruments.

#3 goes to the blast beats - again about 15% dynamic tracking to even out the hits. It gets complex when the drummer accents his blast beats but it can be done.

#4 finally goes to the sidesticks or those really edgy "reggae" rim shots.

At times I'll mix them up with the original sound source but if the drummer is really weak then it's 100% triggering all the way.

There you go. :)

I know you don't want to hear it, but I used Drumagog for years and I never had any fucking luck with snare rolls. I have in the last year or so moved to Trigger and it really is so much less of a hassle.

Not sure what your aversion is to it, but if it's not a big one, I'd seriously consider trying it.

No aversion, someone that works for Wavemachine Labs gave him a good price to keep him as a customer instead of him getting TRIGGER.

When I used drumagog I tended to either put them on separate tracks (which I actually really liked because you could adjust the volume between the different types of hits very easy) or for a part that wasn't triggering correctly, I would go in and cut whatever needed to be adjusted into its own event and adjust the events volume until it hit the threshold properly. Sometimes this might just be one or two hits in a fill that needed to be boosted just enough to trigger a soft velocity hit.

Automation is key. What I do is manually place the hits as 16ths or sixes whatever the roll consists of rhythmically. But then make the hits softer so drumagog trigger softers velocities. I've had pretty good results.

+1 to putting blastbeats and rolls onto their own track

set to trigger properly on the fast shit...set the other track to trigger properly on the rest - shouldn't be all that hard, and you're done

even though I have trigger I still have to put dynamic rolls on separate tracks.. if you set the threshold too low you start getting double hits and flams

even though I have trigger I still have to put dynamic rolls on separate tracks.. if you set the threshold too low you start getting double hits and flams

Not if you use the correct "retrigger" values. Honestly, so far I haven't had a case where I can't fine tune the settings to make it work right. In most case I don't even need to automate parameters and if I do it's just the "detail" value.