Drum samples Reaper ?

Plendakor

Oct 30, 2010
How do you work with drum samples in Reaper ?
I can't find a sampler like in Reason (NN-XT), is there such a thing ?

And also, do you know a free drum VST ? Even if it's a light version of something with one single kit, as long as it's not watermarker or something and fully usable ?
I'm interested by addictive drum something but can't afford it until a few weeks.

I've always had troubles working with MIDI in Reaper. Im so stuck in my ways of programming in FL Studio and splitting mixer tracks/exporting wavs to Reaper that I get frustrated trying anything new. I've used EZDrummer before and while it was pretty cool and quick to set up beats, it seemed odd. The "Humanizing" still felt too programmed.

But, as for free Drum VSTi's.....I don't know. You can use something like DrumReaplacer (only for Reaper) that replaces audio with multisamples. But I don't think it supports MIDI and you'd have to somehow create the drum track either way.

I've always had troubles working with MIDI in Reaper. Im so stuck in my ways of programming in FL Studio and splitting mixer tracks/exporting wavs to Reaper that I get frustrated trying anything new. I've used EZDrummer before and while it was pretty cool and quick to set up beats, it seemed odd. The "Humanizing" still felt too programmed.

But, as for free Drum VSTi's.....I don't know. You can use something like DrumReaplacer (only for Reaper) that replaces audio with multisamples. But I don't think it supports MIDI and you'd have to somehow create the drum track either way.

You could just trigger sine waves from midi with something like reasynth and put reaplacer after that. It's a ghetto solution but it works if you have some samples.

So other than that you're pretty much required to buy a drum vst ?

If you want anything half decent, yes. There used to be a pretty crappy one called mydrumset or whatever, no multisamples and very few velocity layers.

edit: after looking it up again, I see they've improved mydrumset quite a lot and it has become a commercial product now. The samples sound pretty good but I'm unsure if there's a free version any more or a demo that you can use until you can afford AD.

Addictive drums has a demo with no time limit, just use that until you buy it. No toms or ride and only one cymbal but it will get you started.

I once went through and made a huge sampler with reatrig/readrum or whatever. it was a HUGE pain in the ass. still haven't found anything worth messing with. would like to get ssd4 sometime soon, but ya know - 2 broke 2 engineer.

Addictive drums has a demo with no time limit, just use that until you buy it. No toms or ride and only one cymbal but it will get you started.

I was unaware of this. May have to check it out.

I'll be completely honest and a few years back I (illegally) downloaded EZDrummer (instead of searching for a demo) to test it out. Was pretty cool, but wan't all that impressed. The "humanizing" just seemed robotic in a way. But guilt set in and I got rid of it and never went back. One day I'll have the extra $$ to just throw at a good drum vsti.

I was unaware of this. May have to check it out.

I'll be completely honest and a few years back I (illegally) downloaded EZDrummer (instead of searching for a demo) to test it out. Was pretty cool, but wan't all that impressed. The "humanizing" just seemed robotic in a way. But guilt set in and I got rid of it and never went back. One day I'll have the extra $$ to just throw at a good drum vsti.

Yep I used the AD demo for a month or so before buying it and tbh while the kicks aren't great, the rest is pretty badass. The cymbals and snares are probably some of the better ones used in a vsti out there not counting some of the samples by sneapsters. Great thing is you can just start writing beats with the demo and when you buy the whole thing it just installs over it and nothing is lost, your presets will work etc. I'm still trying to wring all the use i can out of AD before I try any other drum vst but I would like to give SD/Metal Machine a go since Andy's name is on it.:headbang:

Do any of you guys know of a DRUM vst That allows you to load your own samples? Basically a drum VST where its an image of a drumset (similar to SD or EZdrummer) but you load your own samples into each drum instrument. Plus you can load multi samples. Just click on the snare, load samples, done. That would be awesome.

Do any of you guys know of a DRUM vst That allows you to load your own samples? Basically a drum VST where its an image of a drumset (similar to SD or EZdrummer) but you load your own samples into each drum instrument. Plus you can load multi samples. Just click on the snare, load samples, done. That would be awesome.

FXpansion BFD2 lets you load stereo multi-velocity samples.

Rail

I installed the AD demo but it didn'T specify a VST folder and now I dunno how to use it in reaper ... ?