Drum Sampling Question

Dalinkwent48@aim.com

Be Creative, Get Laid
Apr 7, 2009
Jersey
im sampling some drums in pro tools...when i finish samping a track i play it back with the original and i look at the volume meters and see that they jump at the same time...they sound like there in time with each other too...so i go and look at the wav and the transients are pretty much lined up too....but when i stretch the wav out it then looks like the samped hit is a little late at some hits...the guy i sent them too didnt notice it either until he looked at the wav and then said that its not right...but he didnt hear the difference before he saw the actual files so im just wondering what the actual standard is for doing this...so heres the n00b part of me lol...do i still need to go in and adjust all those hits now even though when the wav isnt stretched that far it sounds dead on...heres some screen shots to give you a better idea of what im talkin about...

Wav not stretched out,top track is the sample
Picture%202.png

And heres the wav stretched out
Picture%203.png

Any help?

How are you sampling drums? or are you just triggering them? I'm a little confused by the term "sampling" in this situation

If you processed the original kick with some plugins, esternal outboard, it would be some latency, as PTLE has no delay compensation.

I'm just shooting out blind, you could line them up based on the first transient I think

EDIT: ahjteam was faster :D

well thats what i was originally doing because im using aptrigga and was told that it usually will throw everything right back into alignment...only thing is as i went further down the track i found myself realigning almost every hit because it didnt trigger that way

you're suffering from issues having to do with plug-in latency

just grab the sampled track, pull it back to line up with the original, and you're set

Then align the sampled kick to the first transient, sometimes the accuracy on some plugins is not "there" ;)

i tried that...the first like 4-5 hits lined right up after i did that but then as i went further along and checked the transients they were still ending up all over the place..so im assuming im just gonna have to keep putzing along and realigning all the hits if they dont line up from the first transient?

As Andy himself said in some eaaarly post, when he worked with drumagog, he did it by small sections to help this ( please correct me if I'm wrong)
If the drums are spot on the grid, maybe you could convert the original audio file to midi ( I work in logic, sorry) and do it that way, I think PT8 has some feature like that

i have logic8 too but barely ever messed with it...if it will help me get this done faster then ill use that seeing i have a hefty amount of tracks i that i have to do...how can i do it in logic?....or is it even possible to convert it in logic and bounce to pt? or how can i do it in pt....sorry for all the noob questions

I don't really know PT much, in logic is on the editor "convert audio to midi"
Then it will generate a midi track with the notes on it, edit as desired and then, trigger them ;)

what about quantizing maybe? would that help...theres gotta be a quicker way then manually cutting and sliding every single hit.....anyone?

If you're using aptrigga to sample, then maybe there is a latency issue. In the mixer view, if you command + click the bit where it tells you what volume you've set the track to, it'll tell you what the peak of the wave is and if you command + click that again, it should tell you how many samples it's out(it could be the other way around, i'm not in pro tools just now), all you gotta do is nudge the whole region back that amount.

Some plug-ins throw shit out of sync.