Drummer/Trigger question?

Executioner213

Ultimate Meatbag
Sep 2, 2001
Spokane, WA
www.facebook.com
Ok, lets assume you have triggers (like some of us here do for drum replacement, etc) and no drum module (no DM5 or anything, etc). Say I want to be able to practice using a kit, want to hear my kicks better, and don't have any other mics. Has anyone done this to where they run a trig into a mixer/whatever and used headphones so they hear what they are kicking or something like this? Maybe dump all the highs or something out of it?

I don't have a kit, I'm asking in regards to someone else to maybe help them out, just want others input first....

It'd sound terrible imo.
1. In your case I'd sooner buy the Alesis Trigger I/O and run a MIDI cable to your computer and trigger whatever you want there.
2. I don't personally use it, but I believe that Drumagog allows for realtime triggering ie. load your samples and trigger them while you play.

Or are you looking for a solution that doesn't involve a computer...?

Yeah, it would sound terrible...not going for quality, just audibility.

I'm trying to help with a suggestion where buying more gear isn't the issue.

Well the cheapest option is to buy a pair of good ear-plugs. :lol:
But seriously, you'd be surprised how they'd help you hear your kick much better as they're cutting out a lot of the harsh cymbal freqs.

i have done this i found it works well with good earplugs in as death said used to run a mic into an old 10W marshall and headphone it out to me

I'm just asking because I have a set of Extreme Isolation headphones and a small Mackie mixer...he has a couple DDrum kick triggers...just trying to see what would help him out the most. He could pretty much just use the isolation headphones, but I'm trying to help give him an edge.

apTrigga allows real-time triggering...............................

Or you can get an Alesis DM5 on the cheap from eBay or a pawn shop and run the kick trigger(s) into it.

~006

I wouldnt recommend it bro, but if you do use replacement software, a lot of them have realtime triggering (as 006 said) aptrigga, drumagog, etc.
I use drumagog to trigger in real time.

He doesn't have the setup to do replacement, nor does he currently have the funds to buy a module or an interface to do replacement...hence the point I was getting at with "I'm trying to help with a suggestion where buying more gear isn't the issue". Poormans rig.

He doesn't have the setup to do replacement, nor does he currently have the funds to buy a module or an interface to do replacement...hence the point I was getting at with "I'm trying to help with a suggestion where buying more gear isn't the issue". Poormans rig.

You might need to work on your English there because when I read "buying more gear isn't the issue" I saw that as "I'm loaded with cash and buying more gear is not an issue!" :heh:

I'm pretty sure in that case, I would have said "money isn't an issue".

If I wasn't worried about dropping some coin, I wouldn't have asked about making it work with triggers, a mini mixer, and some headphones! ;)

I'm pretty sure in that case, I would have said "money isn't an issue".

If I wasn't worried about dropping some coin, I wouldn't have asked about making it work with triggers, a mini mixer, and some headphones! ;)

Touché! :)
Well get your drummer to try out good ear-plugs first, that's what I did and it made a huge difference!