Drummers

Tim Yeoung, Kevin Talley, Chad Walls, Flo Mounier, the dudes from Malignancy, Devourment, Psycroptic, Lykathea Aflame, Digorge...

Bah... like Sculpted Cold says, there are just too many of them. For me they are all excellent and I am no expert to tell the subtle differences in their play.

SculptedCold said:
Yes.....plus, when you think about it, so much metal is played so fast, and with such abrupt changes, that the guitarists have to be as masterful and precise at keeping correct time as the drummer; the demands of the beat on the guitarists, and the resultant skills of the guitarists, largely counteracts the true necessity of the drummer. But still......it'd be hard to imagine metal without drums. Even if they're not so much seen as the time-based backbone of a band so much anymore, the drums are still a large aesthetic to the metal sound.

Exactly! A metal band with no drums wouldsound shit! As a drummer myself, I am am naturally going to argue the case for drummers though! :D

Fair points about keeping the beats and things like that, but that doesn't mean metal drumming has to be as straightforward as a fast 4/4 rock beat. There is a lot more to being a drummer than just keeping the song in time, although that is an important aspect. Someone said that the guitarist could just keep the whole thing in time by counting in his head, but I can't see that working. You need a solid presence to hold the band together - the drummer.

The interest of metal drumming is only limited by the creativity of the drummer, so as long as there are still talented and visionary drummerds around, I can't see them becoming obsolete in metal! The drums are easily as important as all the other instruments in a band!

You could say the same about bass players - this isn't to bash at them necessarily, just to point out that if what you say is true, then bassists should also become obsolete, because they're only there ro hold the band together and provide a solid foundation for the rest of the band - again, wrong. Each instrument is only as boring as the person playing it!

Exactly! A metal band with no drums wouldsound shit! As a drummer myself, I am am naturally going to argue the case for drummers though!

Fair points about keeping the beats and things like that, but that doesn't mean metal drumming has to be as straightforward as a fast 4/4 rock beat. There is a lot more to being a drummer than just keeping the song in time, although that is an important aspect. Someone said that the guitarist could just keep the whole thing in time by counting in his head, but I can't see that working. You need a solid presence to hold the band together - the drummer.

The interest of metal drumming is only limited by the creativity of the drummer, so as long as there are still talented and visionary drummerds around, I can't see them becoming obsolete in metal! The drums are easily as important as all the other instruments in a band!

You could say the same about bass players - this isn't to bash at them necessarily, just to point out that if what you say is true, then bassists should also become obsolete, because they're only there ro hold the band together and provide a solid foundation for the rest of the band - again, wrong. Each instrument is only as boring as the person playing it!

I couldn't have said it better myself...

No one said Martin Lopez yet? That surprises me. His work on Deliverance and Damnation is some of the best. The guy from Mastodon is great. I'd like to see them put out something new soon. Someone earlier said the guy from Symphony X. I thought he was pretty boring when I saw them live.

Reactions: Hammer of Might
Yes, that one dude put it very well. I forgot his SN, I'm on the 2nd page now. :(

But anyway, Flo > you

and Tyrm and Asgeir and Jan Axel and Mason L. and John Longstreth and a bunch of others...:)

MasterOLightning said:
No one said Martin Lopez yet? That surprises me. His work on Deliverance and Damnation is some of the best. The guy from Mastodon is great. I'd like to see them put out something new soon. Someone earlier said the guy from Symphony X. I thought he was pretty boring when I saw them live.
Boring? I would like to know what you find boring about his playing. Either way, check out their catalogue. He's a tasteful player that gives plenty of fills, but without overdoing it.

If he's so good, how come no one ever mentions him? Ever? What's his name? Yeah, that's what I thought...it's why no one ever credits In Flames' drummer.

To be recognized, you've got to be different. If it means playing the fastest or in the weirdest time or using tribal drums or dropping insane fills every other measure, whatever...I mean, Bill whatshisname who played on Death's Leprosy is a great example. No one gives two shits about him. Yet, everyone knows Richard Christy, Gene Hoglan, and Sean Reinert.

anonymousnick2001 said:
If he's so good, how come no one ever mentions him? Ever? What's his name? Yeah, that's what I thought...it's why no one ever credits In Flames' drummer.

To be recognized, you've got to be different. If it means playing the fastest or in the weirdest time or using tribal drums or dropping insane fills every other measure, whatever...I mean, Bill whatshisname who played on Death's Leprosy is a great example. No one gives two shits about him. Yet, everyone knows Richard Christy, Gene Hoglan, and Sean Reinert.
Who are you talking to?

anonymousnick2001 said:

Instead of asking me you should look for his work and decide for yourself, but just for the sake of debating i'll give you some points. Someone else already mentioned him on this thread (discipleofplato) the drummer's name is Jason Rullo. Btw, your theory is quite flawed. If you judge a drummer (or any musician) by how recognized he is you're making a HUGE mistake. Is metal popular among the general population? no, right? does that mean that metal musicians suck? not at all.

I think you missed my point, which is okay, and I'll clear it up for you. Drummers only become recongnized when they do something of recognition. I will never be a famous drummer, because, although my chops aren't bad, I never vary it up or do anything creative.

And I'm familiar with Symphony X. But, I could care less about Jason Rullo, because he does not do anything of interest or note. A counterexample would be Mike Portnoy. Slightly different playing style, but his overcomplexity, good memory, and playing with conviction has earned him a spot in metal's legacy of drummers.

anonymousnick2001 said:
I think you missed my point, which is okay, and I'll clear it up for you. Drummers only become recongnized when they do something of recognition. I will never be a famous drummer, because, although my chops aren't bad, I never vary it up or do anything creative.

And I'm familiar with Symphony X. But, I could care less about Jason Rullo, because he does not do anything of interest or note. A counterexample would be Mike Portnoy. Slightly different playing style, but his overcomplexity, good memory, and playing with conviction has earned him a spot in metal's legacy of drummers.
We're talking about good drummers here, not about drummers that deserve a spot in metal's legacy of drummers (that's what I think at least).

Btw, other very good drummers to check out are Bobby Jarzombek (I think someone else already mentioned him) and Virgil Donati.

Well, I think there are plenty of solid drummers. When I'm really in the mood for kickass drums, though, I pop in some Sepultura. Especially Chaos A.D. Igor Cavalera blows me away on that album.

I think the best drummer in the world is Neil Peart (Rush) or Terry Bozzio (Frank Zappa, and alot more bands). Other great drummers:
Sein Reinert (Cynic, Aghora, Gordian Knot, Death)
Bill Bruford (King Crimson, Yes, Gordian Knot)
Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater, TransAtlantic, Liquid Tension Experiment)
Danny Carey (Tool, Pygmy Love Circus)

The reason no one mentions Daniel from In Flames is because he is a robot. Ever see them live? He's technically solid, but plays with no feeling. I wish I knew the name of the Mastodon drummer, but it doesn't say in the notes. That guy is insane.