drums in a apartment

jangoux

May 9, 2006
Guys,

I'll be moving in a few weeks to an apartment, and in a couple months, a smaller apartment will be available to me, and I'll be building my home studio in there. At first, I don't have a space to record drums anymore (I currently do it at my parents' house, but they will be also moving to a new place), so I am study the very small possibility of maybe tracking drums in there. The apartment with adjacent walls is the place I am gonna live, so there's no problem with it. Also, it is the last floor, so my big worry is the neighbor UNDER it. Is there ANY way to decouple drums from the floor to avoid drum sounds travelling through the walls..something like a little fake floor or something ?

What do you guys think of this idea. Am I nuts? :lol:

I think you´re nuts :lol:
I´ve seen many plataforms to reduce the noise, but even electronic kits are too noisy for apartment, specially for the neighbor under the floor. The only kick that is somewhat friendly is the Roland KD7, and even then it may be a problem. Unless you get a Roland HD1, but most drummers won´t want to track with it. I don´t think there´s a solution for this unless you have deaf neighbours.

Just up budget to rent a studio, or were I live in the UK and number of pubs rent rooms out for a small cost

Yeah, you're basically screwed dude, its just not feasible unless you can work around when your downstairs neighbor is out.

Honestly dude, you will likely not be able to record in an apartment. You might want to find a location that is not a studio to record drums. I have had great success recording at a local theatre using its stage.

They charge very minimal rates for renting the space and I have just record the drums there. Sounds awesome and cheaper than renting another studio.

You could probably find a space where you could record drums elsewhere for cheap. You just have to think creatively.

Become friends with the neighbor with possible and things could work out good. I once lived in an apartment where the wood floor made a creak when you stepped on one spot which so happened to be in the hallway. The old lady living downstairs would take a broom or something and hit the ceiling and she would give me looks and once yelled at me, all because of that floor. I moved into a different apartment later on and could play a half stack at ear-splitting volume and no one cared because I lived in an apartment building with a bunch of punk and goth people. Once my friend brought in a bass amp (mesa 400+) that was having trouble and it blew the transformer and some caps and sounded like a bomb going off in the apartment, there was smoke everywhere. This was at 3:00AM and no one cared, the next day the chick next door asked if we heard something last night. :heh:

Moreover you don't isolate anything only with a floating floor because the sound travels through all the other walls, everywhere. You have to insulate the whole room with lot of layers of different density separating the existing walls from the new one...