drums triggered by guitars?

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
I've seen people do this a couple of times, but not sure how.

I'm referring to people triggering (for example) a kick drum sample when they are playing a rhythm on their guitar, so it matches what they are playing without having to program complex rhythms.

Am I completely nuts or can you do this?

I saw Sturgis messing around with something like this in his Attack Attack (i think) studio footage. The guitarist would play something and it would trigger blast beats.

If you can do this, I'm intrigued in how to get this setup and what I would need, or if I could do it with the programs and hardware I have.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Jesse

I think under high gain, the transients would not be sharp enough to trigger with the precision you would want unless you wanted to have like steady double bass or specific single kick hit during a breakdown or something.

I think under high gain, the transients would not be sharp enough to trigger with the precision you would want unless you wanted to have like steady double bass or specific single kick hit during a breakdown or something.

I think you're right...
In the video I saw when Joey did it, it played a fast double bass when they strummed single notes. I'm assuming it was for some breakdown.

Is this done with a midi connection? what's the chain to do something like that?

I think it may work if you use an FX pedal for your guitar sound so that there is essentially a "clean tone" on the amp. It totally depends on the setup to be honest because there are probably 1001 ways to do this...

I think you're right...
In the video I saw when Joey did it, it played a fast double bass when they strummed single notes. I'm assuming it was for some breakdown.

Is this done with a midi connection? what's the chain to do something like that?

The way Joey did it was probably by having a looping blastbeat on one channel, and then sidechained a gate to unmute the blastbeats.

I remember reading a thread by Ryan on here a while ago where he showed how to trigger a noise gate on and off to make super tight chugs, but I could never get it to work for myself :( but this probably isn't what your interested in :D

I actually fixed a fucked up tom-fill once with my guitar, because I was too lazy to setup a MIDI-track and program it. I just plugged my guitar directly into my interface and palm-muted the "hits" (if that makes sense) and put aptrigga on that track ... worked like a charm.

So - if you're after augmenting palm-muted riffs and you're tracking DI'd guitars - you could send the DI-signal to another channel with your drum-replacement-plugin of your choice slammed on.

If I remember correctly Joey was just using 2 instances of Drumagog that had their input set to the clean DI of the guitar. One was a kick, the other was a snare. As far as I'm aware, he wasn't doing it for an actual part of a song, he was just doing it for fun.

How complex could a kick rhythm possibly be to not want to bother programming it? :p

But yeah, you'll get more accurate transients if you trigger it off of a clean DI on one channel, and then have an ampsim on another channel.

I actually fixed a fucked up tom-fill once with my guitar, because I was too lazy to setup a MIDI-track and program it. I just plugged my guitar directly into my interface and palm-muted the "hits" (if that makes sense) and put aptrigga on that track ... worked like a charm.

So - if you're after augmenting palm-muted riffs and you're tracking DI'd guitars - you could send the DI-signal to another channel with your drum-replacement-plugin of your choice slammed on.

So if I played a bass drum pattern but palm muted on my guitar and put the DI track onto a track with Aptrigga, it would play the tune?

I've done this for fun. Actually works but it's useless, there are a lot of misstriggers if you don't play super tight and it's a lot easier and accurate to manually program the kicks.

1-plug the guitar to the interface
2-arm two tracks
3-on one of them you put an ampsim
4-on the other you put your sample replacer software
5-set the threshold for the kick drums
6-jam around!

I've done this for fun. Actually works but it's useless, there are a lot of misstriggers if you don't play super tight and it's a lot easier and accurate to manually program the kicks.

1-plug the guitar to the interface
2-arm two tracks
3-on one of them you put an ampsim
4-on the other you put your sample replacer software
5-set the threshold for the kick drums
6-jam around!

I'll have to try this out :D

I really suck at programming drums, because I can't program the ideas I have in my head if you know what I mean, but I can play them on the guitar... so this might be useful if I can play my kick pattern then add the snare and cymbals :D

yeah its as simple as running a sample replacement plug alongside a sim. Done it a few times for a laugh, you can mess around with the threshold's to adjust how fast/accurate the kick will trigger to the way you play. It's quite fun but not really all that useful.

Cool thanks for all of the replies and ideas on how to do this. I know it's pretty useless... but just looked so damn fun! :)

Actually I don't find it useless. I'll probably do that on the next album, I'm mixing to tighten breakdown/mosh-parts.

Where's Sturgis when you need him? Wish he would tell us what he did specifically. Does anyone know the special signal to get him in here? I know the bat signal works for batman... does some sort of crab symbol work for Joey?

If so...
untitled-2.jpg

Lets hope he sees his signal. :lol:

If I remember correctly Joey was just using 2 instances of Drumagog that had their input set to the clean DI of the guitar. One was a kick, the other was a snare. As far as I'm aware, he wasn't doing it for an actual part of a song, he was just doing it for fun.

How complex could a kick rhythm possibly be to not want to bother programming it? :p

But yeah, you'll get more accurate transients if you trigger it off of a clean DI on one channel, and then have an ampsim on another channel.

This.

thats exactly the way i would do it.