Drums !

ChockeHoldTerror

Survived Lake Bodom
Aug 27, 2009
Hi guys ! i got songs i want to record but i don't have drums , so what program you recommend me to use ? thank whoever helps :D :)

Judging by your post you seem to be completely new to this.

I'm going to sum it up:

How to make virtual drums that sound good:

Get a DAW that supports MIDI and VST's.

Get a VST drumkit (Addictive Drums, EZDrummer, Superior Drummer etc"

Load a MIDI into a track.

Assign chosen VST drums to track.

Export.

Done!

EzDrummer sounds really good, and the Drumkit from Hell expansion is really good for making metal blasts and stuff.
Bit of a power-whore though.

I use Superior Drummer. I did use Addictive Drums in the past and it's not bad especially if you're getting started. I recommend you start with it if you don't have some experience with drum VSTi's.

I kinda noticed that most newbies who start with Toontrack's stuff (EzDrummer, etc) tend to make drier uncompressed shit sounding drum tracks.

Addictive drums is a good start. EZDrummer + DFH sounds like shit. Don't know why people say this is good. Native instrument's abbey road and superior drummer are - superior (if you know how to tweak stuff).

Yeah seriously Drumkit form Hell is total crap.
Get Steven Slate SSX or Superior (expensive).
There's a cheap version of Slate that's only 80$ for 9 kits or so.
Its all about modern and 80's metal.

Compresion, EQing works for the punch but I dont like that Bass Drum anyway :D

Too plastic, but they made it sound like that because they expected you to be doing nothing but doublekicks and balsts.
I like the double-snare roll thing, the only song I ever recorded with it never got finished with lyrics so it sat on my computer forever, and is not gone :(. It was lulz.

Judging by your post you seem to be completely new to this.

I'm going to sum it up:

How to make virtual drums that sound good:

Get a DAW that supports MIDI and VST's.

Get a VST drumkit (Addictive Drums, EZDrummer, Superior Drummer etc"

Load a MIDI into a track.

Assign chosen VST drums to track.
For God's sake don't export right now, it's only the begining. You can't set your things (velocity and whatsoever) and expect it to sound got with your VST, you'll have to go throught the whole track and be sure that all the little details are perfect, or actually: not to be perfect.

Yeah I don't like DFH either, but it (and ezdrummer) doesn't sound "shit", it WILL sound shit if you don't know how to compress, EQ, and mix your drum tracks. That is why I recommended Addictive Drums, its interface makes it easier for the newbie to compress, EQ and reverb the drums without having to do it in the DAW with send tracks and other effect plugins and whatnot.

Native Instrument's Abbey Road series is fucking badass.

I use the 60s and 70s but for metal the modern or 80s should be great. http://www.native-instruments.com/#...kontakt/abbey-road-modern-drums/?content=1440

I didn't know that one. Sounds pretty good, I like it. thanks.

For God's sake don't export right now, it's only the begining. You can't set your things (velocity and whatsoever) and expect it to sound got with your VST, you'll have to go throught the whole track and be sure that all the little details are perfect, or actually: not to be perfect.

Does it seem that the OP knows how to properly apply velocity, EQ and compression?