Drum Software?

homerometal

New Metal Member
Dec 26, 2008
Hi Ron, I want to record some stuff, but it's impossible to record the drums, because I don't have one... So, I was thinking, I saw in your videos and the drums didn't has a real drum sound... did you use any software to compose the drums? or, any know any software like this?

thank you

Here check this out. I just did this with the latest version of DrumTrack. It's pretty cool. It is pattern based, so it takes some getting used to, but it's pretty intuitive I think. The interface is simple. Just make a pattern, click on the pattern you made in the top left pane, and then click a measure on the right. You can change tempos, time sigs, the number of subdivisions per measure. And it's easy to change things at any time. You can really do whatever you want.

This clip demonstrates a lot of the features I mentioned. You can also layer drum tracks on top of each other. (Maybe you want to simulate having a drummer and separate percussionist at the same time- or just a superhuman drummer)
In the last part of this clip I sort of emulate a well-known prog song. See if you can figure out what it is. Well, Ron might know...dunno about the rest of y'alls. Depends on how far back your prog listening library goes. :)

http://www.omwresearch.com/files/dtrackex1.mp3

I write music on a program called Encore. The midi signal (for the drums) is then sent to an Alesis D4.

You should check out a program called EZDrummer.

Ron

Man, I screwed up the time-sig in my sample. So much for paying tribute to a great song. I redid that part.
Now it should be easier to figure out :)

http://www.omwresearch.com/files/ltia2.mp3

Then again, from wikipedia I see that Devin Townsend used EZDrummer on Ziltoid. So that's probably pretty awesome, since he used it and Ron recommended it. But I like free stuff. It's just limited to the samples you have for midi. I mean, drumtrack should be fine for demos at least. EZDrummer and the other professional stuff is probably better at controlling volumes and making the drums sound more "human". They can probably emulate realistic drum rolls with accents for example.

Dammit. Now I want to try EZDrummer. I just listened to one of the demos on the site. Awesome. Gimmie free version.