which drum software

Vote for AD here too... never had a problem getting the snare or toms sounding good. Kicks blow in AD for sure, as they do in S2.0 and MF. The thing I like most about AD is that the snares are THICKER than anything in S2.0. I work with real drums on every project and AD's snares sound more like the real thing, instead of being thin. The cymbals and toms are pretty much the same quality as S2.0 from all the examples I have heard. Although, with S2.0+MF you cannot beat the number of cymbals you can use on one kit, but that's about the only advantage that I can see. AD also, as mentioned, is less resource intensive and the interface is easier to learn quickly, while still providing a ton of options for bleed, etc. Pretty much everyone and their dog on this board will tell you to get S2.0. I just say get one and run with it, especially since you will be blending samples in with whatever you get anyway I'm sure.

I can just say about SD2, because this is what I have, but the toms/snare/kicks are awesome (at least for rock), but the cymbals need very detailed velocity and timing humanizing to sound good. The hi hats and ride cymbals need the most work to sound good..

I'm still all about SSD for kick, snare, & sometimes toms + Joey's cymbals.... recently also got Joey's Shoulder City toms and digging them right now. I've yet to hear anything else I like as much as this combination. Sure, Kontakt is a little resource hungry, but the sound quality of the samples is ultimately what matters to me, so I still use Kontakt...

I like the user interface of Superior/Metal Foundry, but the samples themselves aren't that great sounding to me... The cymbals are alright, but nowhere near as pristine as Joey's cymbals, and the kick and snare absolutely need to be heavily augmented or replaced to get a sound I like... toms are okay with heavy processing... just not worth it, IMO.

I'm hoping that when SSD4 comes out that I'll be able to use Joey's samples with the new SSD sampler somehow...

Definitely use your own samples or the slate stuff for kick/snare/tom. Your main issue is getting good cymbals and from the samples I've heard AD sounds best or at least the most natural out of the bunch. The different velocities of the cymbals in SD2 sound like completely different cymbals altogether or like there's a huge gap between the different veolocities...and they are way too recognizable as well. I think I've heard good samples of the Nashville add-on so you can also get that and EZ drummer but I'm sure using EZ drummer sounds too amateurish to you.

Lasse, I would have thought that you'd be using trigger and your own drum samples? Isn't that what you're normally doing anyway?

yep, but I'm having a project coming up for which I'm being sent MIDI drums, so I'll need something to run the midis through...I'll replace kick, snare and toms with my own stuff later of course

thanks for all the suggestions!

do AD and s20 have the same mapping?
I should go with what most midi drums are mapped for I think

You can still use Trigger with the MIDI In feature, with an instance for every channel, and set the MIDI output to those tracks.
Print afterwards. That's what I always do, even for Joey's cymbals.

I was in the same situation in may. Bought superior drummer 2.0 (was lucky that I had superior drummer rotten in some packing case in the basement so I only payed 80€ for the update.
Avatar toms sound amazing, OH and Room micing is good and sounds realistic.
Best thing is. You wont need to root any shit around, when everything is good to go, just go to the bounce menu and you are done.
What I do sometimes if the band is in the studio. I let the drummer play the cymbals along with the programmed drums.

But at the end of the day nothing is as good as real tracked drums

Superior 2.0 is the best, just requires mixing and mastering before they sound good, just like a normal drumkit. ;)