Drumtracker just doesnt work.

Jerrick

New Metal Member
Apr 14, 2009
So right now im using drumagog, which isnt bad. If drumagog let me see the full drum track and set individual velocity points throughout that track, it would be perfect. Or if Drumtracker just worked it would be perfect.

Anyways, here is my deal. Drumtracker does not export correctly, even on slower songs with not a lot of kick going on.

I am using cubase sx3. Saving up to upgrade to 5.

Heres how I go about it. First, in the project, I create a midi track that is the length of the song. then I export that. "Song tempo track". Drumtracker doesnt read Cubases standard tempo track, but this way still works.

Then I export the kick track. Usually some compression and eq so the wave forms have less noise in them

Open drumtracker, load that kick file and go to work. If my song is 10mins it takes about 20mins for me to set up all the velocities to be perfect. Dead on with the actual kick, no doubles that shouldnt be there. Just perfect. I save this Drumtracker file, then convert it to a midi file to bring back to cubase.

And once I do that, its just crap. There are doubles, which make fast double kick sections sound like two people in the same room on two drumsets trying to play doublebass at the same time. Messy chaos. Notes are missed, and other notes are there when they shouldnt be.

Very annoying after putting in the time to make it perfect in drumtracker. And I feel like im doing the process right. Im not seeing any other options to set.

And the worst part is, is when I go to open the drumtracker file up again, it is shown like the midi file is shown. Missing hits, extra hits, doubles and all that jazz.:(

Any ideas?

well other than drumtracker annoyances aside, if you're trying to trigger drumagog with MIDI, just give up.

It's much easier to trigger a click sound with a sampler from the midi, then trigger drumagog from that. Works much better

Drumagog is actually really easy to use. Just load it, set its output to an internal midi channel. Have a midi channel open and have its input be drumagog and hit record. Then I have a midi track with a few doubles to take care of, which isnt bad.

But I can set up a kick track perfectly with Drumtracker, which should be making a perfect midi track, but its not working that way.