Help with Drumtracker - Audio to MIDI Multiple Tempo's - ARGHHHHHH

mick thompson

AKA: Ross Canpolat! SM!
Nov 3, 2005
Dublin, Ireland
hey yall -

okay so i had a real bad kick drum from the dude who recorded it a few years back - shit loads of spill etc so i finally managed to clean it up into something a trigger could read. so i want to convert this to MIDI to load into superior drummer. (reason being the kit sounds like poo & i want the humanize effect in superior)

anyway i open it up in drum tracker and because the song swaps tempo at every chorus what do i do when it comes to mixing down the midi in drumtracker? it asks for a tempo & i have to give one. when i do give a tempo logic makes a mess of the file and starts randomly hitting the kick in superior drummer.

or if not drumtracker is there any other app that can convert audio to midi (velocity & key choosing) for mac or windows that doesn't require you to input a tempo.

i mean drum tracker should be able to read my .wav and understand its a changing tempo and it should generate its own tempo map

any help would be simply sexual!

peace:devil:

You got Logic 9? Use the built in trigger functionality, and don't bother with Drumtracker. Probably going to be easiest doing it all in the host.

I have Logic 8 :(

Does Logic 9 trigger to MIDI (Velocity's and MIDI note values) or just trigger to a sample? I dont want to trigger to samples (with aptrigga or drumagog) because i want Superiors humanizing effects on parts of the kit

hmm well if it works all is great - would it do multiple tracks to 1 midi file which i can then load into the DAW and allow superior to play it? as in adding the kick, snare & toms? converting them into 1 midi file (each with its different velocities and note values) and exporting it as 1 single midi file?

...you see the only problem with that idea is....

well...

I'D HAVE TO FORK OUT €499.00 TO DO IT!

is there no cheaper solution? ... stupid logic 8

Drumtracker can't make a tempo map from the wav file alone. I don't know of anything that can do that. Especially when you start considering time signature and what division they are.

So if you have the tempo map done in Logic then just export a MIDI file, that will have the tempo map in it. Then include that as the "Tempo Map" in Drumtracker when you export the replaced kick drum midi.

Now if there are just tempo changes in the song, but you don't have a tempo map. Then what you can do is just stem the whole thing out, re-import it at 120 or whatever, then replace the kick and re-import it at 120. The "tempo" changes will be in relation to 120. You will have some serious problems trying to "quantize" the drums at that point.

Does that make sense?

MIDI is all about note timing in relation to a tempo. And that tempo map with signature is included in every MIDI file.

with logic you'd have to do it one track at a time, but when you have all the seperate midi tracks all you have to do is merge them, and it consolidates them to one midi track so its a piece of piss to do.

im not sure if logic express has that stuff (it may do), but if you can find out you could go for that and save some cash.

hmm yea what your saying above does make sense but like you said after the secondary import into my DAW im going to be landed into a nightmare of drum quantizing - it was recorded in logic but no tempo map was made, there was a click set up in the daw for most parts of the recording and come the chorus's the engineer who recorded it muted the click so the drummer wouldn't get confused and then re-introduced it to the drummer at the verses and breakdown.

i dont know if you's remember it - it was posted years ago. it was recorded by some idiot in a cattle shed out in the arse hole of nowhere in ireland. he done 3 of the worst recordings i have ever heard in the space of around 8 hours. fucking awful stuff - i just found the session files there again and i'd like to play with them because its a real challenge trying to make something so crap sound somewhat good. the guitars are completely fucked so im going to re-record them (i was in the band when he recorded it so i know what to play) the majority of irish engineers i've come across never heard of triggering, impulses & midi work - such a shame

your right machinated - that is a good idea - i checked it out and logic express 9 does support the drum replacement and its 200 bucks cheaper then pro. that might be an option for me in about 2 weeks when i get my hands on some cash and no doubt im going to use that feature in the future because the majority of the mixes i have dont have maps.

oh yea - well logic 8 has been my daw for 2 years now, prior to that it was cubase & adobe audition (on my old windows machines which im glad i dont use anymore) so i know my way around logic 8 pretty well. other then that i use reason quite a lot for midi stuff & sound studio 3 (its like a cleaner paid version of audacity - i use it all the time for small cuts etc instead of firing up the full daw) i was watching the flex thing on apples site - it looks really cool - example moving the vocal pronunciation position to give it a different feel or the loading specific channels (including plugins) from 1 session into your current session - looks very impressive -

i just wish i had a secondary monitor for the mixer window :( - maybe after my logic upgrade

It's due to the drawbacks of MIDI that Drumtracker is limited in this way. MIDI needs a tempo to set its note values in relation to. There is no 'absolute' time in MIDI.

As may have been mentioned above, the solution is really simple.

Just create a MIDI track in your DAW session, and make sure you've tempo mapped that session correctly. After this just export that MIDI file (even if it has nothing in it, but make sure to export it from the very start to the end of your project, just in case), make sure it's exporting with tempo map data attached to it (Cubase gives you a variety of options), then simply use that MIDI file as the tempo map in Drumtracker when you export.

oh yea - well logic 8 has been my daw for 2 years now, prior to that it was cubase & adobe audition (on my old windows machines which im glad i dont use anymore) so i know my way around logic 8 pretty well. other then that i use reason quite a lot for midi stuff & sound studio 3 (its like a cleaner paid version of audacity - i use it all the time for small cuts etc instead of firing up the full daw) i was watching the flex thing on apples site - it looks really cool - example moving the vocal pronunciation position to give it a different feel or the loading specific channels (including plugins) from 1 session into your current session - looks very impressive -

i just wish i had a secondary monitor for the mixer window :( - maybe after my logic upgrade

Check PMs dude.

Logic 8 has the same audio to midi stuff that Logic 9 has; just Logic 9 puts it in a nice little utility, all together leik. In Logic 8, it's in a few different places, split up.