DSL or 5150?

May 12, 2005
Sweden
www.egonaut.se
Hi folks, I'm hoping you can help me out now because I'm going crazy over this one.

I've pretty much decided to get rid of my Powerball because I find the sound way to slick for the sound I'm aiming for, and after too much research/testing I've narrowed it down to either a Marshall JCM2000 DSL or a 5150/6505.

Now I just dont know which one to choose :S
I'm looking for a sound with lots of growl and snarl, imagine the classic "In Flames" sound with a bit less gain. Loud, fat and crunchy.

Which one should i choose?

I want the same tone in both bands im playing with, only with a little more gain in one of them.

Advice me!

its all a matter of preference.

dont totally reject the dsl or tsls, check out the Still Remains and Trivium albums for greatttt dsl and tsl tones. i am not a trivium fan, but i widely regard ascendancy to be one of the best produced modern metal albums. they do sound alot smoother than the 5150s which is probably why a 5150 would suit you better seeing as you gave up the powerball.

(i own a 5150mkII, and they sound pretty amazing though).

I own a DSL100 and am about to buy a 6505. Not because I don't think the DSL is a great amp, but because I have been playing out of it for the last 6+ years and it is time for me to move on.

its all a matter of preference.

dont totally reject the dsl or tsls, check out the Still Remains and Trivium albums for greatttt dsl and tsl tones. i am not a trivium fan, but i widely regard ascendancy to be one of the best produced modern metal albums. they do sound alot smoother than the 5150s which is probably why a 5150 would suit you better seeing as you gave up the powerball.

Haha, according to Andy on this forum, that album was reamped with 5150.

haha really? i stand corrected then!

5150 wins again.

(goes to show that with reamping nowadays you can never listen to a band about what amp they used to record haha)

Matt Heafy said:
I’m always asked about my tone – ‘Do you have a giant eq rack, fx processors, compressors, walls of bleeping lights and shit? Nope, I’ll tell you what I have: my Les Paul, a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 head, everything turned up, into a Marshall 1960 BV wall of cabs. The DSL is basically an encapsulation of everything that is the sound that will ‘tear your face off’, the DSL is my tone: loud, aggressive and crystal clear.
Now go and imagine how much that means to me - and how much it should mean to you! :heh:

Respect the allmighty Trivium! :lol:

TRIVIUM.jpg

Hi,

I own both of them. I think the 5150 got a lot more balls than the DSL.
But I wouldn't reject the DSL for recording. Sometimes it sounds a lot cleaner than the 5150 for me. The 5150 is nice (with a TS in front) for it's mid-honk :D (don't know how to describe it) and it's tight bottom end. The DSL adds a nice texture in the higher regions. I think both combined sound nice together. For me ;)

The Powerball isn't my thing. The other guitarist in my band play the powerball. But I think the 5150 smokes it completly. :headbang: Sounds thighter and cleaner.

Cheers, MArkus.

That's funny shit right there.

Every single time I've put a mic on a guitarists DSL, we end up using a different amp. Those things are TERRIBLE!!! I think that you have to be under 21 to think that they sound good.

Every single time I've put a mic on a guitarists DSL, we end up using a different amp. Those things are TERRIBLE!!! I think that you have to be under 21 to think that they sound good.

I bought mine when I was mostly playing blues/funk type stuff. Later on I started to drift from blues and got way more into metal. By all means the 5150 slays the DSL in modern metal applications, but that is not to say they are the worst amps. For the application you are descirbing I would say the 5150. Better yet go to a store and listen to them both. That way YOU can decide what is best.

Nah, the dsl is a good amp, just not a good metal amp. You can't use the preamp gain like you would with a 5150 cuz frankly, it's not a 5150- lead channel one without excessive preamp gain, and the volume up gives a nice punchy rock/hard rock sound. They're a little fickle to dial in but I think the bad rap they're given by dudes who dial it to sound like a bowl of rice crispies is unfair. 5150 does own it for metal though.

ive got both, and am currently stuck with the dsl while my 5150 is repaired
the 5150 definatly has way more grunt and balls,
but at the same time i dont think the DSL is a bad sounding amp at all.
it even does clean really nicely (sigur ros anyone?)
i found it records quite nicely as a differant flavour. but i think for the sound your after 5150 is the way to go

I cant find the thread now, but a while ago, the guy who engineered the album (i think) posted in another forum that it was all some Bogner with something else :loco: I know thats not too much info :lol: Sorry. Anyway, not much DSL on that album - if any. They really only use them live.

The master of puppets song they did for Kerrang was DSL mixed with 5150 though. You can clearly hear the DSL on that song.

All Dave Murrays guitars on the new Iron Maiden album are all straight up DSL though, if you want to get an idea of how it sounds.

or you look in hughes and kettner amps.

I know they are not famous but they are great. Handmade and they sound fantastic.

But after hearing about 100 great sounding records done with a 5150 I thinking of buying me one too.

I cant find the thread now, but a while ago, the guy who engineered the album (i think) posted in another forum that it was all some Bogner with something else :loco: I know thats not too much info :lol: Sorry. Anyway, not much DSL on that album - if any. They really only use them live.

The master of puppets song they did for Kerrang was DSL mixed with 5150 though. You can clearly hear the DSL on that song.

All Dave Murrays guitars on the new Iron Maiden album are all straight up DSL though, if you want to get an idea of how it sounds.

Sorry. Its The Crusade that was Bogner and something else. I couldnt think of the names of the albums. Ascendancy is 5150 alright

Nah, the dsl is a good amp, just not a good metal amp. You can't use the preamp gain like you would with a 5150 cuz frankly, it's not a 5150- lead channel one without excessive preamp gain, and the volume up gives a nice punchy rock/hard rock sound. They're a little fickle to dial in but I think the bad rap they're given by dudes who dial it to sound like a bowl of rice crispies is unfair. 5150 does own it for metal though.

Sorry Ace. I don't need an explanation of how they sound, or how to use them. Trust me on that. Up against a Road King, a Dual Rectifier, a Fireball, and a fat Peavey Classic 100, the dsl doesn't stand a chance - for any type of music.

If there are any good sounding records out where a dsl was used, someone please inform me 'cause I'd like to hear it.