DT gear question

You may have to accuse the band members of being hypocrites in order to catch their attention. :p

Hypocrite?! I'll have you eat those words!

No seriously, if there is people interested in the geeky side of electronic melody making I'll be glad to help out.

Before Haven I got me a Roland XP30. It was the only keyboard I used on that album. I think it is a competent allround keyboard. It does a lot of different stuff well but isn't exactly excellent on anything.

For Damage Done I wanted a more electronic sound so I shopped around mongst the new "digital-analog" synthesizers. I know it sounds contradictory but it is digitally simulated analog sounds (The geeks will know). I ended up with the Yamaha CS6X. This keyboard is crap at most stuff but has an allright analog vibe to it. I guess it does its job but I'm not overly impressed.

Now characacter was a completely different ordeal. 1. The compose program I use Cubase SX had by this time become a real powerhouse due the overall progression in the world of software and cpus. It had been possible to simulate various keyboards in the computer before but this time around they had started to sound great. Not one note on character is from a hardware keyboard. Everything is done with "soft synths". 2. After Damage done I bought myself a studio (Rogue Music). It's not a studio per se that I rent out and record bands in. It is a control room in a bigger studio complex that meet my own specific needs. A place for me to go to work. That played a big part on how the keyboards on character sounds.

The old XP30 and CS6X is still around but only in live situations.

I would recomend anyone interested in creating electronic music to use Cubase SX with "soft synths". If you still have your heart set on a hardware keyboard I would check out Korg's various models. They are the best out there.

Good Luck!

Martin Brändström/ ensign in the geek fleet

::.:martinb said:

No seriously, if there is people interested in the geeky side of electronic melody making I'll be glad to help out.

Before Haven I got me a Roland XP30. It was the only keyboard I used on that album. I think it is a competent allround keyboard. It does a lot of different stuff well but isn't exactly excellent on anything.

For Damage Done I wanted a more electronic sound so I shopped around mongst the new "digital-analog" synthesizers. I know it sounds contradictory but it is digitally simulated analog sounds (The geeks will know). I ended up with the Yamaha CS6X. This keyboard is crap at most stuff but has an allright analog vibe to it. I guess it does its job but I'm not overly impressed.

Now characacter was a completely different ordeal. 1. The compose program I use Cubase SX had by this time become a real powerhouse due the overall progression in the world of software and cpus. It had been possible to simulate various keyboards in the computer before but this time around they had started to sound great. Not one note on character is from a hardware keyboard. Everything is done with "soft synths". 2. After Damage done I bought myself a studio (Rogue Music). It's not a studio per se that I rent out and record bands in. It is a control room in a bigger studio complex that meet my own specific needs. A place for me to go to work. That played a big part on how the keyboards on character sounds.

I would recomend anyone interested in creating electronic music to use Cubase SX with "soft synths". If you still have your heart set on a hardware keyboard I would check out Korg's various models. They are the best out there.

Good Luck!

Thanks, I appreciate it. And might I say good work :headbang:

P.S. you can ignore my e-mail, as this answer satisfies my curiosity

It had been possible to simulate various keyboards in the computer before but this time around they had started to sound great. Not one note on character is from a hardware keyboard. Everything is done with "soft synths".

vnv nation's futureperfect was presented as entirely made on a computer with soft synths and a few samples, too. the description of how it was done, appearing on the dvd, should be quite interesting. i think i'll send you a copy of that part.

I don't know shit about making music of any kind, but I must say the electronic sounds on Character are IMHO the best I have ever heard on any album and reading the above explanation by Martin finally made me realize why they sound so much than on Damage Done or Haven (both of which sounded very good already). Thanks for the information!

-Villain

Good Luck!

those soft synths seriously have come along way. if you are looking for bang for your buck as far as sequencing/softsynths are involved you should check out reason. you can also use reason as a stand alone or with pro tools or cubase wich is the program martin speaks of.

Good Luck!

Hello/Hej Martin!

Your bands new album Atoma is brilliant, i like how the sound and artwork have evolved over the years.
Ive heard that the songs on the Atoma album was first made with weight put to the electronic melody side, built with synthesizers. And then made guitar driven afterwards. Is that so? If so, would you like to explain the idea behind this? I like that idea.

I think your work with the keyboards/electronics on Atoma sound great. I am curious about your work process behind the album. Would you be kind and briefly explain your workflow for this project/record?

Thanks for reading my question!

Last edited: