DT vs Opeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
DT's music is without a doubt better when listening from cd, but i think Opeth kicks DT's ass when it comes to performing at a concert.
obviously that's offtopic so i'll just say it.. yes i'd also go for DT

Yeah you really cant compare the two, since their styles are too different. I can't even say which vocalist I like better, but both of them are my 2 favorite vocalists for sure:kickass: .

people who post in this thread can be divided in four groups:

- rabid opeth fans

they maintain that their favorite band is equipped with: (1) music so complicated they don't even get it themselves!! (which is good); (2) testosterone they don't even have themselves!! (which is also good); (3) action figures they themselves own the complete collection of!! (which is good, too, although it disturbs the effects of all the testosterone).

dark tranquillity fans, on the other hand, are: (1) enamored by a band whose name is traditionally misspelled (which is confusing and makes it harder to find mp3s); (2) appreciative of an on-stage behavior that could be misinterpreted as homosexual (which is terrible because it might mean they're not as sexually insecure as their peers); (3) swedes or germans or italians or from some other european country whose army forces are not as swell as those of the united states (which is actually a good thing since they're all going to succumb at some point anyway).

- rabid dark tranquillity fans

they protest that their favorite band: (1) is composed of godly musicians whose supernatural skills have been provided by reading plenty of books on eighteenth-century literature; (2) is the oldest ranking band in the list of 45,000 melodeath acts from goteborg, and they're willing to personally murder each and every member of at the gates to prove that, and weren't they all dead already anyway; (3) comes equipped with a graphic artist and a chef, who alllow it to both design their own booklet covers and survive in the wild.

whereas opeth fans are: (1) illiterate mallcore kids who've never even been to sweden, or milwaukee; (2) members of the esteemed "artsy faggot society for human misery", whose purpose in the world is to instruct people on how to properly address subjects such as dying loved ones, transparent ambiguous spirits, and painful bowel movements; (3) unable to recognize a snorefest if it hits them in the head with a sledgehammer while dancing naked on stage shaking wildly, which is exactly what opeth do, by the way.

- posters who feign indifference in an attempt to sound less stupid

nicknamed the "comma but" people, they will start out by saying that everything they're ever going to write in their entire life for any possible purpose is entirely a matter of opinion, and therefore completely refutable by anyone and everyone for whatever reason. once they've got that off their chest, they'll shapeshift into either a rabid opeth fan or a rabid dark tranquillity fan. their god-given right to an opinion will suddenly turn into a right to express said opinion, although no one ever asked them. in this group, broken english is a little more popular than in the previous two (rabid opeth fans tend to speak in AOL chat lingo, while dark tranquillity fans have the mental thesaurus of walt whitman), but since the opinion expressed usually consists of three lines of text, two of which are spent using the words "like", "more", and "porcupine tree", it doesn't really matter that much.

- posters who are NOT GOING TO STOP UNTIL WE'RE ALL CONVINCED OF THE OBVIOUS!

unlike the previous group, they're actually convinced that every argument is futile. there is just no comparison, the bands are so different, they're both good in different ways, they exist in parallel universes and are doomed to sail the seas of stars forever alone. they seldom read the thread, or check it ever again after posting their precious words, because that would be so much wasted time and after all gilmore girls is on. for the five minutes they benevolently decide to dedicate to us, however, they make it absolutely clear that their mission is to INSTRUCT and EDUCATE the unaware about the fallacies of this discussion. they secretly dream that, once their intervention is under the public eye, the rest of the forum, or perhaps the world, will suddenly realize they've worried themselves silly for nothing, happily join a merry-go-round, then go to the closest IKEA.

well, i cannot really add much after rahvin's posts and the action-figure debate :lol:

i can relate my experience though - i honestly never listened to opeth (except for random songs played on friends' stereos, but i didn't pay attention at the time) until three weeks ago. i decided to get "ghost reveries" and give it a try, so i dutifully downloaded it to my mp3 player, went to the gym, and put the record on shuffle. my first taste was "the baying of the hounds" and i was instantly confused: it's catchy and all, but it sounded like system of a down. please don't shoot or otherwise kill me - it was a feeling similar to the one i experienced when i went to see 'crouching tiger, hidden dragon' thinking it was a film about eastern philosophies and then all i could see was people flying in the air to perform mad martial-arts stunts. i was convinced that opeth were a band with guttural growls, very heavy music and an oppressing atmosphere, somewhere between therion at the onset of the nineties, emperor and in the woods. so imagine my surprise when i found out that really you could play these songs on the radio and get an audience. maybe the other records are different, but i don't see how "ghost reveries" could be compared to dark tranquillity, it's not the same kind of music at all, it caters to different needs (by the way, i am not a fan of the records, these days i really crave strong stuff so i switched back to old amorphis).

After a thorough read of rahvin's enlightening post and a 2 minutes long reflexion on the subject, I have to say that the best option regarding the future of this lovely thread would be to simply close the damn thing because,

1- If we don't, it'll keep going on and on and on and on until we hate it more than that blasted energizer bunny.

2- Its extreme redundancy in terms of posts is on the verge of creating a forumwide bore and make a lot of people sick or develop strange forms of schizophrenias.

3- It's hogging valuable space on the first page of the DT board.

4- Even though I did waste some of my already rare spare time expressing my views on this thread, I must say : I don't like it.

RampageSword said:
the best option regarding the future of this lovely thread would be to simply close the damn thing

true, true.

it's not as if i want to prevent anybody from posting their immoral [edit: not a typo!] opinion over this matter. unfortunately, it seems as if this thread is an eye-catcher for both the "bored... browsing..." users from another galaxy and the "omg, let's search for every thread with opeth in the title" abominations from hell. there's probably more one-time posters in this thread than in the rest of the forum.

i'll let it linger a little while more, as it hopefully sinks deeper into the barrens of the middle- or lower-page, then i'll stop this thing from being resurrected six months from now, when newcomer "AlexiFTW89" feels compelled to tell us that opeth are boring or some other shining piece of divine truth.

just in case someone reads this - although, as pointed out before, i type too much, instead of trying to communicate telepathically - please remember this is not to discourage discussion. scroll back up this thread and you'll see it's been ages since it was last graced by anything resembling a discussion.

a pox unto thee!
VVV

dark tranquillity and opeth are very very different than each other... dark tranquillity is melodic death metal while opeth is progressive death metal however i prefer dark tranquillity with no doubt, all DT songs are great starting from ''abolt of blazing gold'' to ''lost to apathy,'' on the other hand most of opeth's songs are boring, i only enjoy the beginning of ''deliverance'' and ''demon of the fall,'' and ofcourse ''to bid you farewell.'' moreover i dont enjoy the vocals in all opeth's songs, they're simply just... BORING!

dark tranquillity own them!!!

My DT Top Ten:
01. Punish my heaven
02. The wonders at your feet
03. Hours passed in exile
04. Lost to apathy
05. Abolt of blazing gold
06. Final resistance
07. Feast of burden
08. Crimson winds
09. On your time
10. White noise/black silence

If I dare to say:
RampageSword said:
2- Its extreme redundancy in terms of posts is on the verge of creating a forumwide bore and make a lot of people sick or develop strange forms of schizophrenias.

blackashinheritance said:
dark tranquillity and opeth are very very different than each other... dark tranquillity is melodic death metal while opeth is progressive death metal however i prefer dark tranquillity with no doubt, all DT songs are great starting from ''abolt of blazing gold'' to ''lost to apathy,'' on the other hand most of opeth's songs are boring, i only enjoy the beginning of ''deliverance'' and ''demon of the fall,'' and ofcourse ''to bid you farewell.'' moreover i dont enjoy the vocals in all opeth's songs, they're simply just... BORING!

dark tranquillity own them!!!

My DT Top Ten:
01. Punish my heaven
02. The wonders at your feet
03. Hours passed in exile
04. Lost to apathy
05. Abolt of blazing gold
06. Final resistance
07. Feast of burden
08. Crimson winds
09. On your time
10. White noise/black silence

You don't like Akerfeldt's vocals? wtf o0? This dude makes most other vocalists' growls sound like a 12 years old linkin park fan who thinks he's cool, +his cleans are awsome too.

Status
Not open for further replies.