DT lyrics vs. Shakespeare

Matse

Customized individuum
Jan 17, 2007
Since a few people were complaining in the DT vs. IF thread that there are no more good threads I decided to give you this thread in which you can discuss the parallels between the two, decide who is the greater writer, talk about the high arts, ways in which William might have influenced DT and whatever else you have always wanted to say about this.

My opinion:
There are a lot. They are both great writers. Blahblahblah. He has influenced them. Mmmmh. I like Shakespeare. Maybe I'll write some more later.

I believe it was my comment that spurred this on - and to clarify, I meant "Why do we keep resurrecting the bad threads, as opposed to resurrecting the good ones - or did we ever have any good ones back then?" as a joke - I didn't mean to imply anything about our threads right now :p

~kov.

I'll never muster the guts to put up stuff comparing Shakespeare and DT, but Matse is the best new guy we've had in months. Just this thread title a couple of slots above the DT vs. In Flames one was enough to make me giggle.

To show you that as the noty (=newbie of the year, sounds really cute I think) candidate I keep all my promises I am writing now the more which I promised to write.

Some similarities of Shakespeare's writing and DT's:
The richness of metaphors and other stylistic devices
In older lyrics also the use of old English words like thee, thy etc.
DT even used slightly changed quotes i.e. in ...of melancholy burning:
Frailty, thy name is weakness
vengeance, thy name is pain
Shakespeare in Hamlet:
"Frailty, thy name is woman!"

I'll give you some specific questions just in case you don't know what to write here:
Do you think DT and Shakespeare are on the same level regarding their use of language (or is one better, not comparable etc.)?
Do you like the influence Shakespeare had on DT (he definitly had some since Mikael said so in an interview)?

You may also post non-DT related answers about Shakespeare.

This thread is not about DT's music but about the lyrics only.

Shakespeare in Hamlet:

Hmmm so DT thinks women are weak... OMG DT are chauvinists! :p J/k hehe. On topic, I've always felt that DT has a tragic/melancholic vibe, as Shakespeare. IMO DT would be as tragic as the latter if they start making more songs about love and stuff and of Kings loosing their mind because of some betrayal :) :p .

Is this a fiction I see before me? Oh Niklas, Niklas! wherefore art thou Niklas?
Oh, I am The treason wall's fool! Not that I lov'd Mikael less! Good night, good night! Parting is such Nether nova.

But, soft! What bolt of blazing gold through yonder ebony archways breaks?
Oh coward Lethe, how dost thou afflict me!

Shakespeare in Hamlet:

Hmmm so DT thinks women are weak... OMG DT are chauvinists! :p J/k hehe. On topic, I've always felt that DT has a tragic/melancholic vibe, as Shakespeare. IMO DT would be as tragic as the latter if they start making more songs about love and stuff and of Kings loosing their mind because of some betrayal :) :p .