DT Music Videos

Ormir

Oct 11, 2001
Espoo, Finland
Since there hasn't really been a proper discussion thread about this, I thought I might start one. Here's my opinions on the videos, feel free to post your own:

+++

Hedon
-I think this one captures the mood of the song pretty well. The newspaper clippings give an insight into the lyrical subject, and many of them are straight from the lyrics. Also, the detail in the articles is really good, and I've found myself watching some parts dozens of times, trying to read the clippings. The guy smearing himself with crap is beyond me though...
7/10

Zodijackyl Light
-Some people have complained that this video is boring because all they do is play. Personally I actually find this very interesting, since the band are great performers by themselves. The cutting is really good, and the pace is set well to the song. Very energetic, but absolutely no connection to the lyrics. I just wish Narcoloth had directed this, could have been very interesting.
6/10

ThereIn
-I really like the way Mikael is incorporated. He's solid, yet everchanging. Visually, the video has some nice things going for it, but the subject could have been taken further. I like the way the video plays the "tranquill" parts with Mikael all dreamy, then going stormy again. A pretty entertaining video, and something that I like to re-watch
-8/10

Monochromatic Stains
-Visually, this has to be one of the best music videos ever, in any genre. The detail, acting and set is really impressive. Nothing looks second rate, or low budget. On the other hand, as a music video for Monochromatic Stains, I'm not that ecstatic. The video follows the "plot" of the song very closely, but I think it's lacking in dynamicism and energy that characterises the tune. The cutting could be more energetic, and I definatly would have wanted to see the band (even though Mikael makes a short appearance).
9/10

Hm. Thanks :)

As for the pace/cutting thing, I will agree with you, but I will also say that it all has to follow certain silent movie rules, ie static camera, few cuts/long shots that let the actors do their exaggerated thing. So, I guess on the decision I had to make between a more conventional and a more "arty" video, I prefered the latter. :D