Dual rec Vintage mode.

greyskull

Mar 22, 2006
Was playing around with my guitarists 3ch dual rec last night as he was dissatisfied with his tone, and my 800 was eating it alive, so we tried the vintage mode.
Initially we had dismissed it, as when you run the channel master low its tons quieter than modern; but when you get that higher it sounds fucking AWESOME

The dual rec HAS got mids HUZZAH!

highly reccomend you try it.

Oh and on channel two with vaccum rectifier

Blehh, I hated tube rectification, sag-city IMO! And Vintage mode just sounds like it puts a blanket over the tone to me; great for creamy, non-scratchy leads (really reminded me of the Mark series lead tone), wasn't a fan for rhythms! And modern mode on my 2 ch. had absolutely no shortage of mids (provided you, ya know, used the mid knob :D), and while I've never played a 3 ch., I doubt it'd be much worse (especially on ch. 2 modern)

yeah we're not playing teh Brootalz.
more hardcore. Diode had a horrible honk in the midrange. No Djent in my band; my TS is on a shelf in the studio for bands that need it
Ah marcus ya see thats what i did; you REALLY have to tweak vintage differently to modern. presence has to go up a fair bit, as does treble and channel volume. Then level match it to modern on channel 3 and switch between the two for a "what the fuck have i been doing" moment

but we tried every conceivable option on the rec last night and that sounded best for our setup;

Hey, fair enough, you of course know what you're doing so it's not like I can call user error, just taste differences! :kickass: However, believe me, I tried tweaking vintage mode a fair amount myself before writing it off ;)

However, I resent the implication that I play anything that resembles "br00tz" or ESPECIALLY djent :mad: :D

Oh I love brutal stuff too, but usually when people say "br00tz" it's like the slow chugging subdrop-laden breakdown deathcore nonsense - I'll take Behemoth, thank you :D

Greyskull really summed it up I'd say, just be a lot more aggressive with the treble/presence! (and I always brought the mids WAY down, cuz it still has tons, or should I say tonnes :D)

Was this on Orange Vintage or Red cloned to Vintage Lasse? Which do you prefer?

EDIT: Actually, I guess if it was red closed to Vintage you'd have to have two presence knob settings, since they both function!

What, channel cloning? Yeah, I guess it was pretty cool, but even though I messed with all of them, for rhythm tones good ol' Modern Red was still my fave!

Was this on Orange Vintage or Red cloned to Vintage Lasse? Which do you prefer?

EDIT: Actually, I guess if it was red closed to Vintage you'd have to have two presence knob settings, since they both function!

this was on orange/vintage...just a coincident though, cause I try to flick as few knobs in the rear as possible...just cause I'm afraid I'll forget about them and spend hours figuring out why my tone is weird ;)

so I usually hhave red=modern, orange=vintage...
unless I wanna use the rec for cleans, then I'll have orange to modern and set to clean (much nicer than the vintage clean imo)....but I don't really use the rec for cleans

When I use my 2ch Triple Rec (which isn't often lately), I usually go with the Orange/Vintage channel because I like the way that turning its treble knob all the way down seems to boost the upper mids while making the presence knob seem more useful and pleasant sounding. (Turning the Red/Modern channel's treble off just sucks out the treble and renders the presence knob useless.)

I don't even keep rectifier tubes in the head, but that isn't entirely by choice. Two of them were damaged in transit and I'm too cheap and/or lazy to buy replacements. :loco:

Does red cloned to vintage have a different voice than just plain red? I'm curious what the benefit is of channel cloning.

-Joe

Oh yeah, most definitely - channel cloning is basically to allow you to footswitch between either two (mostly) identical channels, or any two of the 3 channels available. So you've got clean, vintage, and modern, and you can set channel cloning to have two vintage channels, two modern, one clean/one vintage, one clean/one modern, or the default, one vintage/one modern. The thing is, channel 2 (red) modern still feels the best to me; channel 1 (orange) cloned to modern just doesn't quite have the same sound IMO, and I never really messed with channel 2 (red) cloned to vintage.