duncan full shred

I'd say they record it twice. When you digitally double a track, you're essentially adding a 'chorus' effect to the sound, which is hard enough to get rid of normally. You want to double the track as flawlessly as possible without going as far as sounding artificial.

That's my take on it anyway. I've doubled some tracks here at home, but with unfavourable results. It's essentially the only way, in studio, to create any kind of flavoured heavy distortion. It's very hard to record with a high gain setting and get something that works well in a mix.

Moonlapse said:
I'd say they record it twice. When you digitally double a track, you're essentially adding a 'chorus' effect to the sound, which is hard enough to get rid of normally. You want to double the track as flawlessly as possible without going as far as sounding artificial.
i agree

And live? Also due to the fact that there are two guitars? Sometimes they play different parts ofcourse, and both guitars still sound heavy. Do they use more distortion live?

Just want to get it clear. :p

Yeah, they use more distortion live - but they still do it in moderation. When I saw them, they ran the GT-6 pedals into Marshall JCM800s. So the distortion was up there.

Of course it's true that the guitar, pickups, amp and whatever else factor into it. I mean the PRS is an amazingly versatile guitar, and with the Full Shred and Jazz, they can get all kinds of tone.

but they dont use that combo... mike uses 2 full shreds. but actually they have been using stock pickups.. his blue prs is the only one that i know of that has the 2 full shreds in them. i know peters orange prs has stock, and mikes black quilt has stock pickups in them. dunno what hes using now.