DVD of Trocadero show has arrived, on the hub

jeffbr_ said:
I'm definitely not interested in grabbing a lower quality copy of something just to save a little time.
You might not be, but others are. The world doesn't revolve around you. And it saves a lot of time..not a little

jeffbr_ said:
Either way, I'm definitely not interested in grabbing a lower quality copy of something just to save a little time.

Well the vast majority of people are not elitist pricks like you and the boot community.

Also, a 700 mb file will spread much faster than a 4 gb file, which means it save much more than "a little time" (especially if through bittorrent)

Rejvk said:
You might not be, but others are. The world doesn't revolve around you. And it saves a lot of time..not a little

True on all counts. But I never said the world revolved around me. In fact, the DVD showed up as a DVD and I didn't ask for anything to be changed. It is the ADHD kids on the board who think that people should downgrade the quality for them, as if the world actually revolved around them.

In the scheme of things, whether something takes 4 hours our 30 hours doesn't matter after you've been enjoying the DVD for a few months. Half of those 30 over the course of a couple of days are spent sleeping anyways, so what's the big deal? Oh yeah, attention deficit and impatience.

First Blood said:
Also, a 700 mb file will spread much faster than a 4 gb file, which means it save much more than "a little time" (especially if through bittorrent)

Do you apply this profound philosophy to your everyday life, too? "Hey, let's do a half-assed job! Sure the quality will be worse, but it'll get done quicker!" :Smug:

jeffbr_ said:
Much more than a slight loss of quality. How do you think you get from 4+GB to <1GB? You remove 3/4 of the data, that's how. There is a huge difference quality unless you are just playing these vids on a crappy computer. But the difference between watching a DVD vs a VCD on a decent system with a decent TV or monitor is huge and very noticable. I'm not concerned about loss of quality just to be anal. There is a real and severe loss of quality. Anyone who can't see that needs to upgrade their equipment.
You're so much nicer than me. :tickled:

Rejvk said:
Maybe your not aware of how Divx compression or similar ie XviD works. Yes there is a loss obviously. But noticable loss? Only slightly. About the same as a 5 gig MP3 file and a 60 gig CDA file. I'm going to put the following sentence into capitals because apparently the point is not being understood despite the many times it has been said *MOST PEOPLE WOULD RATHER DOWNLOAD A GOOD QUALITY <1G DIVX FILE THAN A >6 GIG FILE."
I believe it is YOU who are not aware of what compression does to an original sound or video vile. "About the same as a 5 MB (not gig, you idiot) MP3 file and a 60 MB CDA file" <--- this illustrates that you truly don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Now stop spreading misinformation. You're perfectly allowed to remain a moron in your own world, but for the love of god, keep it to yourself.

Also to Markgugs whose supposedly "owning everyone" Stop being so fucking arrogant and cuntish to everyone. You must be the spoilt one. You just assume that everyone has a Burner, everyone has at least 120G of hd space, everyone has broadband. Wtf?! How can you be so narrow minded. Has it occured to you the Opeth fanbase is world wide, and broadband isn't readily available around the world. You could look at it as segregation. Why should people from country be more able to view it than someone from another country? Nazi.
I'm narrow-minded? Sorry, but I've been involved with the spreading and sharing of bootlegs for a looooong time now, and I've traded with people - via mail and through the internet - from AROUND THE WORLD. I know exactly what types of connections and technologies are available in nearly every civilized nation and quite a few that are not so civilized. So before you dare to speak down to me you little twat, get a fucking clue.

As for the "Nazi" comment? You are clearly an ignorant fuck, I'll leave it at that. Now piss off.

markgugs said:
I believe it is YOU who are not aware of what compression does to an original sound or video vile. "About the same as a 5 MB (not gig, you idiot) MP3 file and a 60 MB CDA file" <--- this illustrates that you truly don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Now stop spreading misinformation. You're perfectly allowed to remain a moron in your own world, but for the love of god, keep it to yourself.
Yea sorry, I meant MB..I touch type and and as typed that as I read GB please excuse that as nothing more than a typo. Obviously I know that MP3 files are not Gb's big (though it is possible, I suppose) I believe that was one of the only few typos in my post? 2 Characters...

I'm not spreading misinformation, and even if I was at least I'm spreading something (which isn't 6GB anyway) As for the hard disk issue, and you saying that you can burn it..How many people on the board have a DVD burner? Secondly..you are aware that Writable DVD's are only 4.7GB capacity yea?

markgugs said:
As for the "Nazi" comment? You are clearly an ignorant fuck, I'll leave it at that. Now piss off
Looks like I've touched a nerve there. It was a joke, chillout.

Rejvk said:
I'm not spreading misinformation, and even if I was at least I'm spreading something (which isn't 6GB anyway) As for the hard disk issue, and you saying that you can burn it..How many people on the board have a DVD burner? Secondly..you are aware that Writable DVD's are only 4.7GB capacity yea?
You ARE spreading misinformation, like it or not. OBVIOUSLY I AM AWARE THAT A DVD is 4.7 GB. Where did you get 6 GB from? The show came from a single DVD and was spread/downloaded as such. It didn't magically get larger you moron.

Here, in simple English for you: it BEGAN as a < 4.7 GB DVD, it was spread as a < 4.7 GB DVD, it can be burned as a < 4.7 GB DVD. :rolleyes:

As for how many people on "this board" have DVD burners. I don't know and I don't honestly care. There are other ways to acquire live recordings without having a burner at all. You have heard of the post office, right?

Looks like I've touched a nerve there. It was a joke, chillout.
You didn't touch a nerve at all. I'm 100% Italian-American. I'm just not dumb enough to find that funny.

Try explaining your arguments next time instead of throwing insults with no information to back them up.

Do you apply this profound philosophy to your everyday life, too? "Hey, let's do a half-assed job! Sure the quality will be worse, but it'll get done quicker!"

How the hell is an XVid coded video "half-assed"... You do realize that Xvid is very close to DVD quality... right? There's nothing half assed about it. I've shown XVid movie rips through my PS2 in my Dorm's lobby, and almost every single time, people come up and ask how I got the DVD of whatever movie it was we were watching. They can't tell the difference.

It's just common sense to drop the size of the file with minimal loss (yes minimal...)

Just go to this site. There's hardly any difference between the DVD and the Divx/Xvid. Yes, there's a very slight difference, but hardly enough to call it half-assed.

All these replies are pointless crap. Everyone says "very close" to DVD quality, but the original poster has stated he's keeping the quality intact, not "very close". I'm done downloading and you all would be too if you'd spend less time whining and just download.

First Blood said:
Try explaining your arguments next time instead of throwing insults with no information to back them up.

How the hell is an XVid coded video "half-assed"... You do realize that Xvid is very close to DVD quality... right? There's nothing half assed about it. I've shown XVid movie rips through my PS2 in my Dorm's lobby, and almost every single time, people come up and ask how I got the DVD of whatever movie it was we were watching. They can't tell the difference.

It's just common sense to drop the size of the file with minimal loss (yes minimal...)

Just go to this site. There's hardly any difference between the DVD and the Divx/Xvid. Yes, there's a very slight difference, but hardly enough to call it half-assed.

amen to that... i'm glad at least a few people around here are making a little sense. Before Lamentations came out, I downloaded the 1.27 GB Divx AVI DVD-rip. My friends thought we were watching the DVD. like i said before, the only way you're likely to tell the difference is if you are watching them side by side.

First Blood said:

Xvid/Divx does a nice job as far as compression goes. You get lower bitrates, and lower resolution, but also benefit from smaller filesize. I get all of that. The "half-assed" part of xvid/divx is player compatibility. I don't watch videos on my computer. I actually have a home entertainment system with a TV, DVD Player, Receiver, etc... The fact is, very few DVD players will play xvid/divx discs. All dvd players play commercial DVDs, most play burned DVDs, most play VCDs, many play SVCDs, and very few play Xvid/Divx. So if this board is populated with kids who only watch videos on their computers, then xvid sounds like a great way to go.

For the rest of us who actually have stereos, and home entertainment systems, Xvid IS a half-assed solution. If you have a brand of DVD Player that people have actually heard of, chances are, you can't play XVid/divX/MPEG-4 files.

Agalloch said:
All these replies are pointless crap. Everyone says "very close" to DVD quality, but the original poster has stated he's keeping the quality intact, not "very close". I'm done downloading and you all would be too if you'd spend less time whining and just download.

Way to miss the point entirely.

jeffbr_ said:
Xvid/Divx does a nice job as far as compression goes. You get lower bitrates, and lower resolution, but also benefit from smaller filesize. I get all of that. The "half-assed" part of xvid/divx is player compatibility. I don't watch videos on my computer. I actually have a home entertainment system with a TV, DVD Player, Receiver, etc... The fact is, very few DVD players will play xvid/divx discs. All dvd players play commercial DVDs, most play burned DVDs, most play VCDs, many play SVCDs, and very few play Xvid/Divx. So if this board is populated with kids who only watch videos on their computers, then xvid sounds like a great way to go.

For the rest of us who actually have stereos, and home entertainment systems, Xvid IS a half-assed solution. If you have a brand of DVD Player that people have actually heard of, chances are, you can't play XVid/divX/MPEG-4 files.

*Applauds*

Good argument. I guess it all comes down to personal preference. I can watch XVid files on a TV because my mod-chipped PS2 can use the PS2 Media player software. But even so I would probably end up just watching a boot on my computer anyways.

I'm glad you were able to explain why you said what you did, and now it makes sense to me, unlike anything Markgugs has ever posted.

If the whole goal here is to be able to preserve quality just so you can burn it onto a DVD and play it on your home theatre system, here is my suggestion.

PROPAGATE TWO FUCKING VERSIONS OF THE GIG YOU FUCKING NIMRODS. ONE FOR THE LESS ANAL nontr000 BOOTLEGAARRR WHO DONT GIVE A FLYING FUCK ABOUT A HARDLY-NOTICEABLE DROP IN QUALITY AND THOSE LIKE YOURSELVES.

This is almost like speaking to a wall. You don't seem to accept the fact that it is a feasible way of appeasing both sides.. no, you have to be elitist cuntwads with the assumption every single person in Opeth's fanbase is a hardcore bootlegger with state of the art media systems at home. Sorry to burst your bubble.

markgugs said:
You ARE spreading misinformation, like it or not. OBVIOUSLY I AM AWARE THAT A DVD is 4.7 GB. Where did you get 6 GB from? The show came from a single DVD and was spread/downloaded as such. It didn't magically get larger you moron.

Here, in simple English for you: it BEGAN as a < 4.7 GB DVD, it was spread as a < 4.7 GB DVD, it can be burned as a < 4.7 GB DVD. :rolleyes:
Actually most commercial DVD's have a 9GB capacity as it utilises dual layers. Whereas with domestic DVD burners you are limited to only burning 4.7GB so no it didn't "magically get larger"

Most importantly however, this is all irrelevant. I just don't understand why 2 versions of the file can't co-exist. This is what I meant by my "Nazi" comment - the idea of segregation...It was dark Irony I suppose, sorry for offending you.

All I'm suggesting is that 2 versions be made available to appease everyone.

I have all files downloaded.... and it says it wont play on a DVD player... anyone have all the files from Ttuwill? maybe im missing one of the small files? someone? help?

1. Do you need to burn it to a DVD-R? What happened to the good ol' Daemon Tools?

2. The hub adress?

3. How can it be compared to Lamentations? Isn't it filmed with one hand held camera?