Ear Training

Nov 3, 2004
How many of you guys do ear training or did ear training? What form of ear training do you use? How long did it take to be able reconise all the intervals very quickly?

shredder487395 said:
How many of you guys do ear training or did ear training? What form of ear training do you use? How long did it take to be able reconise all the intervals very quickly?

I sometimes listen to a track and try to play a long with it. I guess this can be seen as eartraining, as you try to find the notes on the guitar.
It usually takes a lot of repeating of the song, when you listen to the drum you can hear the rythm and everything.. that is, if you are not confused by a drummer or so :)

It takes about 1 college music theory course to be able to recogize most intervals quickly by ear. For the final in theory 1 I had to be able to recognize m2, M2, m3, M3, P4, tritone, P5, M6, and octave. That was among recognizing the various basic chords as well, so really it's not as hard as you might think, just delve into it. The easiest way is to make associations:

m2: jaws
M2: DO, RE
m3: 1st interval in Green Sleeves
M3: main interval in Manic Depression by Hendrix
p4: Here comes the bride
tri tone: Wizard of Oz ohh wee ohh
p5: star wars (2nd interval jump)
M6: NBC
Octave: Somewhere over the rainbow "some-where"

Once you have the intervals down does listening to music make more sence. meaning do the intervals jump out at you when your listening to music?

You could say that, yeah. You start recognizing a lot of harmonies too...I'm pretty new to it myself, but I keep listening and noticing someone harmonizing on the 5th, or 3rd...I would work on relative pitch more, if you ask me it's more important.

Yeah, they kinda do, just like how once you start playing guitar, guitar lines make more sense to you as you follow them and visualize them as they are played. It's not a humongous difference, but there is one there. You can probably check for yourself if you notice the intervalic harmonies jumping out: Iron Maiden harmonies are minor 3rds, almost undoubtably. Do you hear harmonies that you think, that sounds like Iron Maiden doing a harmony? There's an easy association with intervals that you probably already make

SyXified said:
Iron Maiden harmonies are minor 3rds, almost undoubtably.

They're usually parallel 3rds in a minor key, but the lines aren't harmonized with all minor 3rds. That would sound pretty weird. :loco:

There are many ear training programs out there.... I use Ear Master Pro.... In music College ear training can get insane... I'm not tha best at it, but doing it has vastly improved my playing and my understanding of Harmony (and melody)....

Mullet Power said:
There are many ear training programs out there.... I use Ear Master Pro.... In music College ear training can get insane... I'm not tha best at it, but doing it has vastly improved my playing and my understanding of Harmony (and melody)....
Rock.

I just discovered prolobe.com, It's online, very easy.

At first I tried the difference between C and D in different octaves (first level), I practiced that for half hour to 1 hour, after that I was abel to do it very well.
After I practiced C,D and E in 4 octaves - I can now tell them sometimes wrong.

I am a 90 % ear player and I do ok. Some stuff is just to fast or the note expressions are too intense for me (Hoffmann is good at that shit >: ) to figure out exactly, but I can usually come close. "Pitch" is learned to a great degree, but it is also something you seem to be born with or at least something you learn at a young age probably involuntarily (if you liked music as a child which I did.)
I am referring to "relative pitch." Some people have perfect pitch according to popular belief, but I don't. Perfect pitch is just as it sounds. If you play a note on an instrument, that person could repeat it in his/her mind.
To start playing by ear, playing either acoustic (oldschool country/folk) or playing 80's hair metal is the way to go. The oldschool country acoustic stuff uses a lot of open chords, and if you know say just 10 of the most basic common chords, you can play thousands of those songs. Try to "match" the chords you know with what they are playing.
Many "hair-metal" bands use your basic "power chords" which are barre chords using two or three strings. Not all bands do. Ratt was interesting rythmically on some of their stuff for example, so was White Lion, so stay away from them. Anyway, you will learn to "match" those chords as well if you try.
Once you can play rythms by ear, you graduate to more complicated riffs and solos. One of the coolest things about learning to play by ear is that you do make mistakes. Sometimes YOUR version of the song sounds better than theirs. When I make mistakes, I most often realize them later and change them, but on several songs, I still play it my way.
I realize I may be talking down to you as you are probably already somewhat advanced as a player or you wouldn't be here in this particular forum, but I know guys that can play Yngwie solos from tab, but couldn't pick out a Motley Crue chord progression by ear. I am not saying that is you, but I am simply telling you how I did my ear training. I started with early Dio and hair metal bands chord progressions.

Bryant

dargormudshark said:
Yeah, I have not been able to transcribe any SX solos by ear but I can do some Vanden Plas :D

Good job. I am too lazy to transcribe solos. I actually only play a few note for note and most of those are from are from mid-80's through early 90's. If I learn a new song, I just put my own solo in there. I take time to try and write a good one with the same "vibe" as the original, but it still pisses off an occasional purist.
In fact, as well you know VP is my fave band, but the only solo that really totally kicks my butt that Stefan plays is "Cold Wind." His tone is absolutely incredible as is the solo itself. Transcribe that one for me buddy ha ha ha. I feel fairly comfortable with the most commonly used effects, but for the life of me, I can't really figure out what he is using for that tone on that solo.
As far as playing Romeo's stuff, it is beyond where I am willing to go technically. Not to say I "couldn't" do it, but I have already developed my own style and though it is far from playing pentatonic stuff, I am about 75% expression and 25% technical prowess.
Having said that, I post here because I am an SX fan and a musician. Romeo's songwriting, orchestration and guitar playing are in the 99% range. His guitar tone doesn't quite make the 60% percentile range though. This is not a knock on Mike, I personally just don't care for his tone. My lack of love for the said tone has kept me from studying his solos more closely.

Bryant

Recognizing Intervals is the easy stuff of this whole ear training stuff. I prefer "Ear Master Pro" , a prog which trains you for musical exams etc. I think it costs 80 bucks or nothing (eMule, Bearshare :D)

I practice with www.prolobe.com (free)

I can now tell C,D,E,F,G in 4 octaves altough I make mistakes.
Difference between C,D,E are super easy for me now.
I've been practicing for I think 4 total days (altough I stopped and so though)

I can also tell notes together (as a chord), but I find this more hard. Telling the notes is quite easy compared to in a chord it.
But the more you'll practice, the better you'll become.

Yeah i have to take ear training in college and even tho i had played guitar for a long time and knew theory pretty good, I had my head kicked in the first time i tried to do interval recognition. But the worse is melody notation. The speed and changing roots and decending intervals are insane at first, but it gets easier, just practice, like anything else.