Early Maiden

SomewhereInTime

Safe as Milk
Nov 22, 2009
United Kingdom
Hi

I suppose this could be classed as a bit of a random thread but basically I have recently been listening to a lot of Maiden. Moreso the early stuff (the first two albums) and I find it has a very different feeling to everything after Bruce joined the band. It had a very 'Punk' feel to it, it feels very unique compared to later Maiden which kind of blended in with everything else in 80's Heavy Metal in my opinion.

I also think that Paul Di'Anno is somewhat underrated and overlooked to be honest, and as a fan of Maiden I'm actually starting to prefer Di'Anno's stuff over Dickinson's these days. Although I still think Dickinson is the superior singer of course, and his work is still superb, I just find myself wanting to listent to the first two albums moreso than the others.

And it's kinda strange how Di'Anno fell off the radar after he left the band. I know he still played music and still does today but he's not very big really, which is strange considering he was the vocalist for one of the biggest Metal bands.

But yeah, I just thought I would share my opinion on Maiden, and as you may guess from the name, I'm a big fan.

Thanks for reading.

It had a very 'Punk' feel to it, it feels very unique compared to later Maiden which kind of blended in with everything else in 80's Heavy Metal in my opinion.

Welcome, man. Yeah, definitely. Both albums with Paul are special and unique. I won`t compare Paul and Bruce, but my favourite Maiden albums are Powerslave and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

Paul still plays with his band, he's always around Sao Paulo (he lived here for a while) and his gigs are still fun, as they play lots of the early Maiden stuff. I saw them twice and had a great time. It's funny how different he looks now, fucking fat and bald :lol:

i actually think di-anno era maiden is getting more attention these days, at least around here, with many (me included) preferring it to the dickinson stuff. the s/t owns my balls. then again i always found most dickinson-era stuff a bit overrated (piece of mind is prob the best), i prefer the best of his solo stuff.

First Maiden I heard was Piece of Mind, back when it was new. I liked it a lot, and started getting into all their stuff. By the time I was leaving high school (1985) Killers was my favorite and has been since then and still is. My next favorite is the self titled. I think early Bruce are is still great, but to me Maiden has never been defined by Bruce, and I feel sorry for anyone who feels that they are.

The bands sound matured very much after paul was replaced by bruce. Bruce is certainly a superior vocalist, and frontman. However, the very early years of maiden lets their punk influences show through in a way the the other albums do not as much.

Up the fucking irons.

Welcome to the forums man! Yeah! I love and own ALL Maiden but have a strong affection to the first two. Yes very punk orientated, though they were trying to avoid the punk scene.

Dianno was great for the first two releases and there are moments there that can never be duplicated.

This was my first introduction to these guys back in the day but I have to tell ya, when I heard they were getting a new singer and a freind of mine played me his new copy of Number Of The Beast for the first time??

I was BLOWN AWAY!

As far as the early stuff..some standout tracks for me are

Drifter
Remember Tomorrow
Transylvania
Charlotte The Harlot
Murders In The Rue Morgue
Ides Of March/Wrathchild
Killers
Twighlight Zone
Genghis Khan
Prodigal Son

To name a few!! Up The IRONS!

8150b2c008a0266d80e67010.L._AA240_.jpg

Early Maiden = Gold
Nowadays Maiden = Total garbage

They only thing they are still good at is playing live, in studio they are dead long time ago.

Early Maiden = Gold
Nowadays Maiden = Total garbage

They only thing they are still good at is playing live, in studio they are dead long time ago.

Not at all. A Matter of Life And Death was a couple omitted songs away from being fucking brilliant (as it was it was good but way too long), and Brave New World kicks ass.