New Priest vs new Maiden DVDs

Stormwatch

Cock.
May 2, 2003
Fortress of Arrogance
I've had the Priest DVD for a week and it's incredible, although it could do with some extras like interviews. But hey, the actual concert is amazing.
The Maiden DVD is packed with extras, even an extra disc for stereo/dolby surround sound (WTF?!), and the concert is very good.

But it just seems to me (being a much bigger Maiden fan) that Priest have now surpassed Maiden and are the real "Metal Gods". "Angel Of Retribution" with songs like "Judas Rising" and "Deal With The Devil" are so aggressive and vital sounding that the band seem to have recaptured some of their youth. While Maiden, although still a fine band, seem to be showing their age a lot more - physically and musically.

Anyone got an opinion on the two DVDs? I'll always prefer Maiden, and Rob Halford sitting on a motorbike for an entire song seems a bit fucking lame, but Priests new DVD is just much more "classic" than Death On The Road to me.

Have not seen the priest but that maiden DVD(with different concerts) kicks ass.

The Greys said:
Have not seen the priest but that maiden DVD(with different concerts) kicks ass.

DIfferent concerts? I've not looked at all the discs but as far as I can see it's the exact same concert on both discs, but one is in stereo the other is in dolby surround sound. Or am I missing something? :erk:

And BTW I would also normally say "Maiden all the way", until I saw the Priest DVD.

I often wonder if there if there is some reason behind Halford's stage presence these last few years (even before the reunion). I've always figured he may have something going on like arthritis or something crazy, because he just doesn't move all that much OR all that fast. He'll spend several songs throughout the set just standing there with the only move he makes is from facing left to facing right.

He has to read the lyrics from a prompter now.

I saw Priest on that tour, so I would assume that this is of similiar quality, which is awesome. Also, considering I've always been into Priest more than Maiden, I would most likely prefer the Priest DVD over the Maiden.

Stormwatch said:
DIfferent concerts? I've not looked at all the discs but as far as I can see it's the exact same concert on both discs, but one is in stereo the other is in dolby surround sound. Or am I missing something? :erk:

And BTW I would also normally say "Maiden all the way", until I saw the Priest DVD.

I saw the DVD 'the early years' which was great. Good sound without being overproduced. Maiden just rock out really hard.

Disc 1
Live At The Rainbow – 1981 (35 mins)
-Ides Of March
-Wrathchild
- Killers
- Remember Tomorrow
- Transylvania
- Phantom Of The Opera
- Iron Maiden

Live At Hammersmith 1982 - Beast On The Road (45 mins)
- Murders in The Rue Morgue
- Run to The Hills
- Children Of The Damned
- Number Of The Beast
- 22 Acacia Avenue
- Total Eclipse
- The Prisoner
- Hallowed Be Thy Name
- Iron Maiden

Live at Rock & Pop Festival 1983 Dortmund - World Piece Tour (35 mins)
- Sanctuary
- The Trooper
- Revelations
- Flight Of Icarus
- 22 Acacia Avenue
- Number Of The Beast
- Run To The Hills

Disc 2
- The Early Years: 90 minute Feature Documentary

- 20th Century Box: Heavy Metal (1980) – 25 minute feature.

Live at The Ruskin Arms – 1980 (40 mins)
- Sanctuary
- Wrathchild
- Prowler
- Remember Tomorrow
- Running Free
- Transylvania
- Another Life
- Phantom Of The Opera
- Charlotte the Harlot

MetalAges said:
I often wonder if there if there is some reason behind Halford's stage presence these last few years (even before the reunion). I've always figured he may have something going on like arthritis or something crazy, because he just doesn't move all that much OR all that fast. He'll spend several songs throughout the set just standing there with the only move he makes is from facing left to facing right.

During "Hell Bent" he just sits on the motorbike for the entire song, staring straight ahead - not even into the crowd, into the side of the stage.
He also moves his mic stand down on some songs so it's like a walking stick and spends the whole song leaning on it as though he's too old to stand up on his own. Makes me wonder, like you, if he's arthritic or something. His vocals are still alright though and his whole "presence" is enough to carry off the show. Glenn Tipton's obvious enjoyment of proceedings really makes up for Rob's lack of movement IMO.

The Greys said:
I saw the DVD 'the early years' which was great. Good sound without being overproduced. Maiden just rock out really hard.

Disc 1
Live At The Rainbow – 1981 (35 mins)
-Ides Of March
-Wrathchild
- Killers
- Remember Tomorrow
- Transylvania
- Phantom Of The Opera
- Iron Maiden

Live At Hammersmith 1982 - Beast On The Road (45 mins)
- Murders in The Rue Morgue
- Run to The Hills
- Children Of The Damned
- Number Of The Beast
- 22 Acacia Avenue
- Total Eclipse
- The Prisoner
- Hallowed Be Thy Name
- Iron Maiden

Live at Rock & Pop Festival 1983 Dortmund - World Piece Tour (35 mins)
- Sanctuary
- The Trooper
- Revelations
- Flight Of Icarus
- 22 Acacia Avenue
- Number Of The Beast
- Run To The Hills

Disc 2
- The Early Years: 90 minute Feature Documentary

- 20th Century Box: Heavy Metal (1980) – 25 minute feature.

Live at The Ruskin Arms – 1980 (40 mins)
- Sanctuary
- Wrathchild
- Prowler
- Remember Tomorrow
- Running Free
- Transylvania
- Another Life
- Phantom Of The Opera
- Charlotte the Harlot

AH, got you. I've got that as well and it is brilliant. But in terms of recent concert DVDs, the Priest one for me is better than Death On The Road.

I believe he mentioned that in an interview sometime last year or someone mentioned it in a concert review from a later leg of the tour, though I don't believe he had one when I saw them early in the tour.

Is it just me or did anyone that seen the Early years DVD think that Blaze era Maiden kicks major ass? I think that DVD with Blaze signing on it proves he's much better than Bruce Dickenson. I think Bruce's vocals have been always way over produced and then when it comes to live signing, he's sounds not as good.

You seem to be referring to the bands recent music made rather than the actual performance, Maiden will always be more energetic than Priest live I say.

Noble Viking said:
Is it just me or did anyone that seen the Early years DVD think that Blaze era Maiden kicks major ass? I think that DVD with Blaze signing on it proves he's much better than Bruce Dickenson. I think Bruce's vocals have been always way over produced and then when it comes to live signing, he's sounds not as good.

I think you mean Paul Dianno, not Blaze Bayley who is the worst "singer" ever to walk the planet.

And Pull The Plug, I'm talking about a bit of both, but for the purposes of the thread mostly about the new DVDs. Have you seen them? I'm just interested to know what a fan of both bands(like me) thinks is the best performance. It has to be the Priest one for me.

Paul is as good as bruce in a different way. Paul sounds great on killers which I find Iron Maidens best. I do find the first Iron Maiden cd to be a bit akward.

The Greys said:
Paul is as good as bruce in a different way. Paul sounds great on killers which I find Iron Maidens best. I do find the first Iron Maiden cd to be a bit akward.

I also think Killers is one of, if not THE best Maiden album. But I also think if Dianno hadn't of left Maiden would never have become the all conquering behemoth they eventually did.

Yeah i've seen both DVDs and I prefer Maidens, like you said Halford is very stiff on stage, well he has never really moved a lot and it kinda takes from the energy and power.

That said both were more than exceptional considering the age of the bands and musicians.

(I just saw the new Testament DVD too, holy shit now THEY have energy for using the original lineup.)

EDIT: Priest will never beat their Electric Eye DVD EVER, man that ruled. I dunno how the fuck they fitted all that stuff into one disc. Also Maiden will of course never beat Rock In Rio either. Anybody disagree?