Easiest.stress free genre to record?

Jazz fusion.
Because fusion musicians can ACTUALLY FUCKING PLAY PROPERLY unlike most rock/metal musicians.

a singer/songwriter - 1 man, 1 acoustic, 1 singer - slap a piezo onto the acoustic and a 58 in front of the singer and record him - chances are it will sound awful but sure its a challenge to perfect it right? :lol:

Hmmm oof then thats a tough one :cry:

Punk?

If its not tight....its okay, if it sounds raw and un-polished its okay....if the singer throws the mic on the floor during the recording......its okay.......:kickass:

So true ! I actually asked a kid in a local punk band a while back , while listening to some gutter punk or whatever , why ALL punk music has terrible production. He seriously got so pissed and turned into a 5 year old like "That's how it's supposed to sound , you're not getting the message" etc. I'm like well I guess not cause I can't even fucking understand the singer... Seriously gutter punk just sounds like Fran Drescher being raped by Satan

Plus all gutter punk kids are fat dirty douches

a singer/songwriter - 1 man, 1 acoustic, 1 singer - slap a piezo onto the acoustic and a 58 in front of the singer and record him - chances are it will sound awful but sure its a challenge to perfect it right? :lol:

not necessarily

i tracked some female folky/acoustic stuff a while back...i recorded her guitars in stereo with some pretty decent mics, got a good take for the lead vox, a couple harmony tracks, then spent like an hour mixing it

the end result came out pretty good, and with minimal effort

Who wants it to be easy? That's when it gets boring!

That said, I'd certainly not say it's jazz. Jazz is very dynamic and hard to capture the nuances of the players and making sure it's still natural. I'd say pop rock or dance music is the easiest stuff for me, but you make your own challenge.

I'd suggest folk, bluegrass or rockabilly. Easiest cash cow ever milked. I'm damn certain you could get away with doing full albums using presets and patches on that stuff.

Any style for which there are no mix references and no instruments used that have ever been used before. Even then you could still run into problems (i.e., somebody who wants their lawnmower to sound like Hendrix.)

this thread doesn't compute.

It's the musicians you deal with - in general - that are going to make things tough for you, either their ability, attitude, or both. At this point I'd think you would be doing yourself a disservice to try and find an "easy" genre to work with first...IMO, there are none. Make your prices match your ability, and be realistic about it. Build from there, keep learning and move forward. If you reduce a certain genre to being "easy", then that IMO reduces how effective you may be at capturing the essence of what each genre or performer is about.

If you record singer/songwriters because you think it's easier than quantizing 220 bpm double kick tracks, you are doing a disservice to the musician you are tracking.

just my .02. Not hating, just stating!

Doing REAL acustic recordings isnt that easy!!!!
You have to know your shit, and dont have any second chance.

You must have some quality mic-pres and mics because there is no option of replacing podfarming....

If you are interested in doing Jazz and stuff like that, check out
stereo micing!!!!
Like XY, AB, small stereo, big stereo, sorround....

cheers

any band that knows their shit and is able to give you a tight performance when tracking

Yep, can't argue here. Unfortunately sometimes, these sessions can be few and far between at times and that's obviously where it gets difficult to make great representation of your work and the resulting outcome is your job gets tougher. But as long as the band isn't a bunch of dead beats and they pay, it's music and thats a beautiful way to make a living if it is your main source!

I think the best strategy would be not creating any silos to work within (ie. only record metal because thats your favorite genre of music) and leave your mind open. I hate hip hop and rap but if a dude was going to pay me to track vocals over a "beat", "I love hip-hop!"