Echo Layla 3G + Octopre LE or New Interface?

TheBlackSheep

Dec 30, 2008
I have an Echo Layla 3G (2 preamps only) but i need 8 preamps a least to track drums. I'm thinking in these options:

1. Buy an Octopre LE.

2. Sell the Layla and buy another interface with 8 preamps in the 600$-800$ price range.

What do you think?

That I'm not certain of, but I doubt one would be substantially better than the other - that said, I'd imagine the converters in the Echo would be better, and more importantly if you keep the Echo and get the Octopre you have 10 preamps instead of 8! (I didn't realize the 3G had an ADAT input though). So I vote keeping the Echo and getting the OctoPre :)

I'm really not convinced the Layla 3G converters are any better than the 2626. I used to have one, and the 2626 is not noticably inferior in terms of recording quality. Got any science to backup your opinion Marcus? :)

No, that's why I said "I'd imagine", Echo is highly respected for their converter technology, and M-Audio...not so much.

Yeah, but the Profire 2626 has been put up against RME Firefaces, and many people could not hear any difference between the two. Not saying that is any reason to think the 2626 is superior to everything out there, but it's certainly food for thought.

Anyway, I suggested it because it seemed it would cover all bases; dedicated soundcard, 8 preamps that can work as standalone pre's also, with the same octopre technology... so I don't see the point in buying the Octopre.

Yeah, but the Profire 2626 has been put up against RME Firefaces, and many people could not hear any difference between the two. Not saying that is any reason to think the 2626 is superior to everything out there, but it's certainly food for thought.

Anyway, I suggested it because it seemed it would cover all bases; dedicated soundcard, 8 preamps that can work as standalone pre's also, with the same octopre technology... so I don't see the point in buying the Octopre.

first things first, i can't speak for the 2626 as i have only owned the 610.
i returned it for a rme fireface 400 though, and don't regret it at all.

*to me*, the RME is far superior to the profire stuff....the converters are noticably better, the total mix matrix is pure awesomeness, it's fast and stable.
the hiZ in on the profire was way better though. much higher impedance (only 470kohm on the FF), and for some reason it just can't handle my guitar output properly...even with the pad engaged and the gain way down it's always at the edge of clipping.

anyways, to the OP: my vote goes to keeping the echo. if it's working just fine and you like the sound, just go and focus on the preamp side of things, rather than going for an completely different setup