Eden's Fall, Twelfth Gate, and Sage4 November 25th at Doug's!

BalanceofPower

My god,it's full of stars
Feb 19, 2003
Palatine, IL
www.novembersdoom.com
l_c628e27f8ba343a7a5f91b54a97f6198.jpg

Hey guys come out for a night of metal and drinks for Black Wednesday!

Not a huge fan, but the song THE REFLEX (and the video) kicks serious amounts of ass!!!! Anyone remember the days when Channel 60 was music videos 24 / 7?

Duran Duran ruled that era!

That song is pretty good, but not as much as Rio and Hungry Like The Wolf. And were people obsessing about Tears For Fears as well?

that turkey is just shy of completely awesome. like, it should be wearing a Tears for Fears shirt or a SAGE TO THA 4TH POWERMETAL bandana. bigger lasers, angrier eyes, corpsepaint... something is just missing.

leather pants maybe.

That song is pretty good, but not as much as Rio and Hungry Like The Wolf. And were people obsessing about Tears For Fears as well?

Certainly not as much.
Duran Duran were true rock stars of the era.
Tears were more like one hit wonders, who caried on a bit longer than other one hit wonders.

Prince (Purple Rain era) owns ALL 80s pop rock, so it really doesn't matter.

Tears For Fears were far more than one hit wonders. Shout, Everybody Wants To Rule The World, Head Over Heels, Sowing The Seeds Of Love, just to name a few of their bigger hits. However, they weren't the massive teen heartthrobs that Duran Duran were, and D2 had more hits overall.

I'm a huge Prince fan, at least up until he started that New Power Generation stuff. But I think Duran Duran have a bigger appeal to me, as almost their entire body of work is good. And while I do like their radio hits, they had alot of amazing stuff that was lesser known, like The Chauffeur, Waiting for the Nightboat, etc.

Yeah, TFF are definitely nothing close to being just one hit wonder, and I don't really see them much as pop rock either (later on I suppose, but not really on The Hurting or Songs from the Big Chair).

I think this discussion has come up before, but I have always loved TFF. Roland is a great songwriter and singer. The album "Seeds of Love", despite the gayish title, is really an amazingly great album. I still get chills when I listen to "Famous Last Words".

As for Duran Duran, they were always just OK for me. I like the work the Taylors did with Robert Palmer and The Power Station better.

My favorite 80s band is Men At Work. Saw Colin Hay live in Manchester (here in the UK) last Saturday and he was superb, just one guy, one acoustic guitar, great songs and between-song stories that Billy Connolly would be proud of, lol. One story he told was that Australians are the only people who can tell you that they liked your gig while still sounding like they want to fight you - "I'm comin' back tomorrow night, and I'm bringin' seven of my f**kin' mates":lol:

The guy can shred too when he wants to, with a clean sound, but he played some killer solos on the MAW stuff, I thought it was all the other guitarist but they both solo'd. There's a solo on a song called "I Can See It In Your Eyes" on their "Business As Usual" album that really rips.

This whole 80s pop rock amnesty we're having here is very different from what things were like in the UK in the 80s, lol. The town I lived in was like THRASH TOWN! and anything less was seen as wimpy or worse. I remember a guy coming into a youth club I used to go to, wearing a Bon Jovi t shirt - he would have gotten less dirty looks if he'd come in wearing a dress, lol, because they were a GIRLS BAND!:lol:

Such things were listened to in secret, and were only permissible at weddings or similar occasions, where that was likely to be the closest thing to metal that the DJ would have.

The other guitar player in the band I'm in was Bolton's only glam rocker back then, which must have taken balls of steel. Apparently it was worth all the mockery cos chicks dug it, lol.