Eden's Fall, Twelfth Gate, and Sage4 November 25th at Doug's!

I only caught 80's pop music if it had placement in movies. Otherwise, I didn't have a budget for my own radio until 12 or 13 and it was all about Raffi, Burl Ives, Christian folk, or 50's/60's pop. The advantage to that was when I began listening, I did so much more objectively than most of my buddies. They heard Duran Duran the teen idols whose videos their older sister/cousin/babysitter forced them to watch. I heard some well written tunes with killer hooks that were alot of fun to sing along with.

Hey all this talk of Duran Duran reminded me of this rocked up version of "Hungry Like The Wolf" I saw on a UK tv show in the mid-90s, and I managed to find it on youtube - not sure abot the vocals on the verses, but the chorus works really well in this style, check it out

That's the line up with Warren Cucurrulo (sp?) on guitar (ex Frank Zappa! - he's on "Joe's Garage")

DD have a bit of rock pedigree here in the UK - Andy Taylor did a couple of pretty rocky solo albums (one was a covers album, haven't heard 'em but I think "Kerrang" gave both of them good reviews), and he also produced blues rockers Thunder. On top of that, there was a kind of UK equivalent of Bon Jovi guy called Robin George (co wrote some songs with Phil Lynott and appeared on his last single, "19", and also played with David Byron (Uriah Heep) and Sean Harris from Diamond Head) who auditioned when Andy taylor left. And John Taylor was in the Neurotic Outsiders with Steve Jones, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum (their album kicks major ass)

Speaking of older sisters, cousins, etc, I remember visiting some friends of my parents who had emigrated to Florida, back in 1984 and their eldest daughter calling her high school friends to discuss the premiere of "Wild Boys" on MTV - there was a lot of talk about what they all thought of Simon's beard :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a huge fan, but the song THE REFLEX (and the video) kicks serious amounts of ass!!!! Anyone remember the days when Channel 60 was music videos 24 / 7?

Duran Duran ruled that era!

I remember those days....every once in a while you would get Twisted Sister, Van halen or something like that. Remember when the E! Channel was movie trailers 24/7

:p
I remember those days....every once in a while you would get Twisted Sister, Van halen or something like that. Remember when the E! Channel was movie trailers 24/7

Yeah, it was the total Prince, Bruce Springsteen, etc era.
That is definitely where I first saw the WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT video.
Cable was not yet in my area, so I never saw MTV.

I don't recall that about the E! Channel, though I really only started watching that channel a couple years ago. (Primarily Chelsea Lately)

Oh, BTW, Vito has a show next week!!!!!!!

Apologies for my part in the hijack!

Hope the gig goes well, and will check out the Sage 4 website - interesting band name, what inspired it? Does the band consist of four very wise individuals?:)

We can do Thanksgiving themed ND art. We'll have a turkey on a cross in the middle of a field, and a turkey floating in an umbrella, and mary magdalene character holding a turkey while a bunch of demonic pilgrims are creeping up at it, etc.