edge of sanity suggestions

opethpainter

the psychedelic servant
Jan 20, 2002
italy
jump.to
guys, i need your suggestions about eos cd's.

i mean, i love the nightingale stuff [i got the 3 albums] and i've just got the album called Crimson, and i consider it a real Masterpiece.

now, when i go around the music shops in milan, i always find so muach second-hand eos stuff, and i would like to buy something, but i've never heard anything except for crimson.

please, tell me something...

Purgatory Afterglow is their best effort in my opinion.
Check that out asap.

And ofcourse Nothing but death remains, which holds the best hi-hat sound ever.

That´ll keep you busy.

I rank the EoS albums in this order:

1. Crimson
2. Purgatory Afterglow
3. The Spectral Sorrows
4. Until Eternity Ends EP
5. Unorthodox
6. Infernal
7. Nothing But Death Remains
8. Cryptic

Strange, all of my friends think Infernal is the best EoS album after Crimson... My favourite is Purgatory Afterglow.

Infernal is probably their most un-balanced album, with many great songs, many very bad songs and only a few songs inbetween those. "15:36" is possibly their best (after Crimson, that is) and "Helter Skelter" is about their worst.

Purgatory doesn't have any more of those great songs than Infernal does, but it has less those not-so-good ones, IMHO.

-Villain

Besides Crimson, Purgatory Afterglow is the only EoS album I can spin the entire way through when I listen to it, as I feel it doesn't have a weak song. The Spectral Sorrows has a couple clunky songs ("Living Hell", "Jesus Cries") and I really only listen to "Enigma" and "When All Is Said" when I listen to Unorthodox, for instance. I will agree that "Helter Skelter" is a terrible song, one of their worst, as is "The Bleakness Of It All".

I actually like Unorthodox and Spectral Sorrows the most out of EoS's catalog. My list'd probably go:

1. Unorthodox
2. Spectral Sorrows
3. Purgatory Afterglow
4. Until Eternity Ends
5. Crimson
6. Nothing But Death Remains
7. Infernal
8. Evolution (Not really an _album_ I guess, but it's bloody great. I might actually be ranking this a lot lower than I should be)
9. Cryptic

Ok, now I'll do one, too...

1.Purgatory Afterglow
2.Crimson
3.The Spectral Sorrows
4.Unorthodox ( @Doucheman: imo it has more than two good songs! )
5.Infernal ( un-balanced -YES, but some songs are great though.. )
6.Cryptic
7.Until Eternity Ends
8.Nothing But Death Remains ( ..but Human Aberration is great!.. )

@wardwarf: You have "Evolution"? Is "Human Aberration" on it? Remastered?

THE SPECTRAL SORROWS is the best death metal album ever... all other albums are really great, but TSS is for me truth work of art!

Originally posted by Iceheart

4.Unorthodox ( @Doucheman: imo it has more than two good songs! )

Hey, I take nothing away from the Unorthodox album--it is an excellent aggressive, old-school Swedish death metal album. It doesn't have a bad song on it, but the two I mentioned are by far the most memorable, the first ones, in my mind, that really hinted at the experimentation the band would later become noted for. I think it's biggest flaw is that it has TOO many songs! For me, 10 or 11 songs is always enough, and 14 is just too many for my short attention span! ;)

If you are going to buy two EoS albums, buy Crimson and The Spectal Sorrows. If you are looking for a good introduction to EoS, then I would suggest Evolution, which features roughly two songs from each album. To be honest, I think Cryptic is a damn good album (EoS without Dan), check that one out too, they are good in their own right.

Okay i finally got The Spectral Shadows in the mail today and holy fuck! do i love this album. I'm listening to it right now. The End doesn't have Crimson or Purgatory so i guess i'll wait for those....or should i get Infernal or Unorthodox? One more question, i heard that EoS is still together, is this true and what's the lineup like? sorry for all the questions, but i'm kind of new to EoS.