Edguy's Name

Taken from the Edguy Forum.

- Why is the band called EDGUY?

As they were in school they had a teacher called Edgar xxx. When they started their band, they made a joke out of his name and called themselves Edguy. Since then they've been considering to change their name (to something tr00e with "Steel" or "Thunder"), but in the end they've decided to keep the name and stay unique.

Tobi's Comment - It doesn't really have a deeper meaning. When it came to choosing a name, we tried to find a name that no other band could choose. So we tried to find a word that was not existing. That was at school days and since we had a real stupid teacher called Edgar, we changed that into Edguy. Stupid, isn't it?!

Skynard named the band after their school Gym teacher (I believe) who's name was Leonard Skinner. He had a real problem with the idea of guys with long hair, so they named their band Lynard Skynard to mock him. Interestingly, they are now on good terms with said teacher and have had him introduce them on stage meny times.

Skynard named the band after their school Gym teacher (I believe) who's name was Leonard Skinner. He had a real problem with the idea of guys with long hair, so they named their band Lynard Skynard to mock him. Interestingly, they are now on good terms with said teacher and have had him introduce them on stage meny times.

Lynard Skynard. Is that like the band LynYrd SkynYrd?

Taken from the Edguy Forum.

- Why is the band called EDGUY?

As they were in school they had a teacher called Edgar xxx. When they started their band, they made a joke out of his name and called themselves Edguy. Since then they've been considering to change their name (to something tr00e with "Steel" or "Thunder"), but in the end they've decided to keep the name and stay unique.

Funny, I always assumed it was in honor of Iron Maiden's mascot, Eddie ... since Maiden was an influence on the band.

Funny, I always assumed it was in honor of Iron Maiden's mascot, Eddie ... since Maiden was an influence on the band.

I wished they got their name from Eddie of Iron Maiden. I stayed away from Edguy because I thought their same was stupid. If I thought they got it from IM I would have listened to them sooner. But once Mandrake came out I couldn't stop listening to them. Now they are my second favorite band of all time and I am a huge Tobi fanboy. I even named my dog Tobi.

Huge Edguy fan myself... I'm not one for music DVDs but they are one of 2 bands I'll buy their DVDs (other being Kamelot) whenever they come out...

And on a side note, I dig the new Avantasia disc - it's different but I think that's why I like it so much.. it was very much not what I expected, but still good... and come on, Jorn, Khan, Kiske and Tobi all on one CD?? :worship: