Editing and Track Mixdowns?!

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
Hey fellas. Well the recording with the direct input and amplifier going at the same time is working out sweet as heck, better than I expected. There's this "problem" I've been running into since the beginning of my noob days, which is that with all of the guitar tracks running, after a riff finishes and the new wave files start, it sounds different to me - like if they were put out of order or something? Like certain tracks sound different than others, and they seem to pop up and around and they don't really sit consistently like they're supposed to.

But anyway, I was wondering to make them stay normal, do I need to edit them tracks clean and mix each track down to a single wave file, or is it something different - about frequencies going to war with each other and shifting each other around? :ill:

This stuff is weird but I can imagine that one Spartan dude laying in the field full of arrows... yeah... 300 frequencies against a million and they're killing each other. :lol: I don't know why I thought of that but I did. That might not even be the case. Please, wise answerers, share your wisdom like you always do. ^_^

Wow man, the last couple help-wanted threads I've made have had no answers... :eek: Either I'm asking the wrong stuff, or people are gone somewhere!

you might not be asking clear enough questions.....im not gonna lie it hurt my head just to read your post and after i read it i felt rapped......so that might be why

It's not really that hard of a question... should I mixdown my guitar tracks to single wave files, or just leave them as a bunch of wave files in the session?

The guitar rhythms are interfering with each other. x_x

Doesn't make any difference, you'll mixdown what you hear anyway.

It appears that you need to make a better edit on the tracks.

Clean crossfades eh... ok, that makes sense. I don't know why people call them DAWs. I call 'em recording programs. A workstation implies that I've got a station where I can work. It's more like a cubbyhole where I make do.

So by clean crossfades, you mean to edit or smoothen like, the very small statics at the beginning and end of each wave.... Or do you mean to use some kind of "crossfade" option within the DAC?

Clean crossfades eh... ok, that makes sense. I don't know why people call them DAWs. I call 'em recording programs. A workstation implies that I've got a station where I can work. It's more like a cubbyhole where I make do.

So by clean crossfades, you mean to edit or smoothen like, the very small statics at the beginning and end of each wave.... Or do you mean to use some kind of "crossfade" option within the DAC?

If your DAC has a crossfade option, I need to get one, NOW.

Most DAW's have auto-crossfade options. I set mine to 5ms and forget about it.

Seriously dude, this is really basic stuff. Read your manual and read about zero-crossings and you should be good to go. They will probably explain it way better than I ever could.